Asrock Z68 Extreme 7 Gen 3 bios update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asrock Z68 Extreme 7 Gen 3 bios update

I have an Asrock Z68 Exteme 7 Gen3 that I am trying to update my bios on. I have read many threads on updating this motherboard and on what to do to update to 2.10. My problem is that when I try to update to 2.10 I get the message "No Image File Detected" I have tried two different usb drives with no success. The odd thing is when I download the bios the Zip file is labeled Extreme 4 Gen 3. I download this from the Asrock website directly from the Extreme 7 Gen 3 download location.

I downloaded the 2.30 update from Asrock website this zip file was named Extreme 7 gen 3 rom. When I went into the instant flash utility with both updates on the usb drive the 2.30 update shows up but not the 2.10. I don't want to update to 2.30 without first updating to 2.10.

I am wondering if for some reason the Asrock website is linking to the wrong file perhaps? If not I am not sure what is going on. Any suggestions? Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Asrock Z68 Extreme 7 Gen 3 bios update

Just an update, I e-mailed Asrock support a received a very quick response. That said I can just install the 2.30 bios and skip the 2.10. This is contrary to a thread I read around here somewhere that said 2.10 should be installed first.

Hoping someone with a little more knowledge can point me in the right direction, I don't think ASrock support would steer me wrong but never hurts to be careful. Thanks.

Comment

Re: Asrock Z68 Extreme 7 Gen 3 bios update

Originally posted by Acention View Post
      Just an update, I e-mailed Asrock support a received a very quick response. That said I can just install the 2.30 bios and skip the 2.10. This is contrary to a thread I read around here somewhere that said 2.10 should be installed first.

Hoping someone with a little more knowledge can point me in the right direction, I don't think ASrock support would steer me wrong but never hurts to be careful. Thanks.
      You are right, you cannot skip the 2.10 BIOS, the support person is wrong.

We just had an ASRock Z68 board user not long ago that skipped his board's equivalent of your board's 2.10 BIOS, the SB to IVB compatibility BIOS, and flashed to the next version. He had to get a new BIOS chip to fix the problems he had. His result was not unusual, it is the norm.

The support person you spoke to must be a new employee, and just gave you the standard advice about BIOS updates. Apparently not trained well, or did not pay attention when (IF) this topic was being covered.

Of course if that support person just went to your board's download page, they would not have seen anything that warns owners they must apply 2.10 before they can apply 2.30. The only warning that is shown is "4. Please only flash newer versions of BIOS in the future", which does NOT in any way warn users they must apply 2.10.

I also got a BIOS file named Z68 Extreme 4 Gen 3... when I click on the USA link on your board's download page, or I should say I could swear I got it once or twice, and when I tried it again, I got the Z68 Extreme 7 Gen 3... file instead, the correct one. So possibly their server was/is having problems or they fixed it.

I can assure you that you must apply 2.10 first, and if you do leave the flash drive in the PC until it completely reboots after the BIOS update. That is, leave it in until you are at the Windows desktop, and I'd leave it in longer personally, that will do zero harm in contrast to removing it early, which ruins the update.

I assume you saw the sticky thread on this subject?

Comment

Working...
      X