• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock 970 Pro3 R2.0 - no video or mboard error beeps with no memory

Hi all,

So, having problems getting started with an ASRock 970 Pro3 R2.0

Have connected :

1. ATX power ATX12V1, 4 pin block to only place it fits - side closest to edge of board
    2. ATX power connector ATXPWR1, both blocks, with arrows aligned.
    3. AMD Radeon HD5450 to PCI-express closest to CPU, to DVI out into VGA connector into a known working monitor. Video card known to work.
    4. AMD Bulldozer FX-6300 3.5GHz AM3+ , triangles aligned, no bent pins, no smell from CPU.
    5. PANEL1 block

Nothing else connected.

Have tried with & without one 4GB module of ELPIDA 1Rx8 PC3-14900E-13-12-D1 1866 240 pin memory in slot closest to the CPU.

The 4GB module has been tested by a 3rd party and apparently OK.

Without memory, it sounds like I should get a mboard beep error, but nothing so I suspect faulty mboard or CPU.

Don't have another board to test CPU in but can return to store I bought from & ask them to test if no other means of identifying the problem.

Does anyone have any ideas of where the problem might lie ? Should this processor be compatible with this board ?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you are able to offer.

When I hit the power button, the CPU fan spins up. Press & hold power button down CPU fan stops, as expected.

Best regards,
    Steve.

PS. Dumb question - mboard beeps should be audible directly from the board, right ? Don't need to connect speakers to audio out ?
    Last edited by Steve Williams; 12-17-2014, 06:25 AM. Reason: update - fixed

Re: ASRock 970 Pro3 R2.0 - no video or mboard error beeps with no memory

Most ASRock boards do not have a POST beep speaker built into the board.

It looks like your board has a POST beep speaker header in the lower right hand corner of the board, just to the left of the two SATA ports in that corner of the board. You'll need to connect a beep speaker to that header to get any POST beeps.

Your memory may not be compatible with your board, although works fine in another. Can't check that at all without the full model number of that memory.

You are no where near concluding that the board or CPU are defective.

Comment

Have you tried clearing the cmos? Look it up. Worked for me when I had same symptoms.

Comment

Hey guys,

Thanks for the feedback.

Have done the following.

1. Returned that memory to minimize weirdness & have exchanged it for 4G Kingston KVR1333 - known to work.
        2. Fitted PC speaker to riser (known to work).
        3. Switched PSU to another (known to work).
        4. Reset CMOS as advised.

Still nothing, no beeps. Just CPU fan spin up.

Next up will return CPU for testing & maybe pick up another. If the CPU is OK, guess that's a faulty mboard.

Further input welcome if you have it.

Have put two other systems together successfully recently so hopefully not a noob duh moment but who knows :)

My first ASRock build. Am disappoint :(

Cheers,
        Steve.

Comment

Took the CPU fan & heatsink off the board & turned it on. CPU heats up as expected. So not totally dead.

Keyboad lights don't flash either so (I guess) its not booting the bios for some reason.

hmmmm ... either that board doesn't like that CPU or one of them is farked.

Comment

so ... have returned that CPU as I suspect it's dead. will buy a cheap alternative & drop that in.

in the event that also fails to boot, will need an RMA number from ASRock.

yay hardware problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Williams View Post
              Hi all,

So, having problems getting started with an ASRock 970 Pro3 R2.0

Have connected :

1. ATX power ATX12V1, 4 pin block to only place it fits - side closest to edge of board
              2. ATX power connector ATXPWR1, both blocks, with arrows aligned.
              3. AMD Radeon HD5450 to PCI-express closest to CPU, to DVI out into VGA connector into a known working monitor. Video card known to work.
              4. AMD Bulldozer FX-6300 3.5GHz AM3+ , triangles aligned, no bent pins, no smell from CPU.
              5. PANEL1 block

Nothing else connected.

Have tried with & without one 4GB module of ELPIDA 1Rx8 PC3-14900E-13-12-D1 1866 240 pin memory in slot closest to the CPU.

The 4GB module has been tested by a 3rd party and apparently OK.

Without memory, it sounds like I should get a mboard beep error, but nothing so I suspect faulty mboard or CPU.

Don't have another board to test CPU in but can return to store I bought from & ask them to test if no other means of identifying the problem.

Does anyone have any ideas of where the problem might lie ? Should this processor be compatible with this board ?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you are able to offer.

When I hit the power button, the CPU fan spins up. Press & hold power button down CPU fan stops, as expected.

Best regards,
              Steve.

PS. Dumb question - mboard beeps should be audible directly from the board, right ? Don't need to connect speakers to audio out ?

yes you need a speaker connected to your mobo or you will not hear any beeps

Comment

thanks m8 - figured that one out ;)

will order new processor & thus determine whether board is functional.

Comment

i called asrock about my mobo talked with tech in 5 minutes of calling what he told me was if you pull all the memery out restart mobo it should peep 1 time, if its not peeping it the mobo.
                  just call asrocks tech support they will walk you through it.

Originally posted by Steve Williams View Post
                  thanks m8 - figured that one out ;)

will order new processor & thus determine whether board is functional.

Comment

Re: ASRock 970 Pro3 R2.0 - working :)

Just to let everyone know, have put a new FX6300 in that board and it now boots to bios as expected.

Apologies to ASRock for any inference with regard to the quality of your products. All good so far.

Looking forwards to experimenting once I have the thing locked into a case properly.

Thanks for your input, guys.

Comment

Working...
                    X