Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick question cant understand the tech support ppl

Why are there 2 options for Mem install , priority 1,2
    Should i install mem into A1,B1 or A2,B2?

Thanks

Re: Quick question cant understand the tech support ppl

Look in your MB manual. As you didn't say what MB you have that's the best I can offer.

The manual will say which two slots to populate.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
      Look in your MB manual. As you didn't say what MB you have that's the best I can offer.

The manual will say which two slots to populate.
      Sorry i updated all that data, What do you think is the best play for an asrock z97 extreme6 and midi r2. I was windering if im better off removing the "volage controller" and connecting 3 140s that came with case to the MOBO.
      Do you have any better ideas as to what to do?

Thanks

Comment

The ASRock boards for Intel processors that I have (four models, Z77, Z87, and Z97) all list priority 1 as slots A2 and B2.

From the ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 manual about memory slot priority:

1. If you want to install two memory modules, for optimal compatibility
        and reliability, it is recommended to install them in the slots: DDR3_
        A1 and DDR3_B1, or DDR3_A2 and DDR3_B2.

6. For optimal compatibility and stability while overclocking memory
        frequency, it is recommended to install one memory module on
        DDR3_B2 slot or two memory modules on DDR3_A2 and DDR3_
        B2 slots.

Hardcore memory over clockers could explain it better, but one reason certain slots are optimal is related to the location and length of the traces/connections on the board from the memory slots to the CPU, that contains the memory controller.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
          The ASRock boards for Intel processors that I have (four models, Z77, Z87, and Z97) all list priority 1 as slots A2 and B2.

From the ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 manual about memory slot priority:

1. If you want to install two memory modules, for optimal compatibility
          and reliability, it is recommended to install them in the slots: DDR3_
          A1 and DDR3_B1, or DDR3_A2 and DDR3_B2.

6. For optimal compatibility and stability while overclocking memory
          frequency, it is recommended to install one memory module on
          DDR3_B2 slot or two memory modules on DDR3_A2 and DDR3_
          B2 slots.

Hardcore memory over clockers could explain it better, but one reason certain slots are optimal is related to the location and length of the traces/connections on the board from the memory slots to the CPU, that contains the memory controller.
          yeah i get a stupid think like that to called "Priority" of an option for 1 is A2 + B2 option 2 is A1 and B1 (which is how its always been on other mobos) and then theres an issue on page 21 where it says " to minimize boot time use SATA 3_0.." thing is i have to HD one SSD which i want to make the boot drive and a raptor for space so can i put both in SATA 3_0_3?

But the one issue where i really need help is "fans/cooling" the case i have is MIDI R2 which came with 3 140mm fan ,i put both in the front as im using a corsair h100i as CPU cooling and it goes on top and the dilema i have is the case came withe a voltage regulated speed controller 5-7-12v and i was wondering if i should remove it and just plug fans into the mobo as prev mobo had slow,med, high settings for fan or get a controller. Unfortunately i really dont know the best fan setup , should i buy PWM and use a splitter off the cpu fan?
          8-Way PWM splitter box with sata connection - Rouchon Industries Inc., dba Swiftech - PC Liquid Cooling Systems CPU Cooler VGA Water Block Heatsink Pump Radiator Heat Exchanger Kit

Thanks sebastian

Comment

Same answer as I posted in your other thread: http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/5...p-cooling.html

Otherwise, IF the Corsair fans are four pin PWM fans, then I would use the PWM splitter box or similar cable to connect both fans to the mother board's CPU fan PWM header. (I say if because pictures I found of the H100i show both three and four pin fans.)

OTOH, your board (which I own) has two four pin PWM fan headers, CPU Fan 1 and Chassis Fan 1. Both can be configured in the BIOS to track the CPU temperature in exactly the same way using the Customize option for each fan. That way you don't need the splitter cable.

The Chassis 1 header, which seems to be a true PWM fan header, won't control three pin fans, they will run at full speed regardless of the BIOS setting when connected to that header.

If you want to go push-pull with four PWM fans, then the PWM splitter box is your best bet. You could also use it to control other fans in your case IF they are four pin PWM fans.

The SATA port statement in the manual is just saying to use the Intel SATA ports (the six lower ones) instead of one of the ASMedia SATA ports (the four top ones.) Also, the first SATA port, numbered either 0 or 1, is best to use for an OS installation.

All the Intel SATA ports are SATA III, 6Gb/s, so all of them are the same speed. No idea what you mean by "I want to make the boot drive and a raptor for space so can i put both in SATA 3_0_3?" If that means Intel SATA ports 0 and 3, then that is fine.

Avoid the ASMedia ports, the four top ones, for installing an OS, or using them for the OS drive, the Intel SATA ports perform better.

Not one HDD on the planet, not even a "Raptor", can even exceed the maximum SATA II speeds, ~250MB/s sequential read/write, even if they call the drive "SATA III".

Comment

Working...
            X