ASRock Z87 Extreme4 won't boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock Z87 Extreme4 won't boot

I just finished building a new box and the only thing that happens when I hit the power button is the fans spin up for about one second and then everything stops. Nothing displays on the monitor.

From what I've gleaned from other sources it seems it could be that my low-profile (and therefore low-voltage?) memory isn't being recognized by the motherboard.

I have another regular-size DIMM to use to get it to POST so I can manually change the voltage. After that I could replace the low-profile DIMMs.

But I'm using a CPU cooler (Noctua NH-U14S) that goes over three of the memory slots, which is why I got the low-profile memory. The regular DIMM won't fit into any of the slots except B2. It still acts the same when it's there.

I removed the fan from the CPU cooler and was able to just get the regular-size DIMM into B1. Same thing -- power for one second and then nothing. The motherboard manual says nothing about where a single DIMM needs to go so I don't know if it needs to go into A1. It only mentions two (A1/2 or B1/2) and four DIMMs.

The regular-size DIMM I have is actually really tall with cooling fins (Corsair Vengeance). So I could see if I can find some shorter memory to buy to try in A1. That will cost money for something I'll use for a couple minutes. And time and hassle.

Or I could remove the CPU cooler to get this DIMM into A1, if that will work. Just time removing old thermal paste and reapplying it for that solution.

But I'm not entirely sure I've identified the problem or if these solutions will work. So that's why I'm here. :)

All components are new:
    Antec P280 case
    ASRock Z87 Extreme4
    Intel Core i7-4771 Haswell Quad-Core 3.5GHz
    SeaSonic Platinum Series SS-400FL2 400W fanless
    Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3
    Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB SATA III SSD
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SATA III SSD

Thanks.
    Mike

Re: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 won't boot

Low profile memory shouldn't cause problems due to the memory voltage, which if that is set to Auto in the BIOS, will just pick it up from the memory's SPD data, and it will be fine.

But when you change memory, you must clear the BIOS/CMOS before booting the first time, since all the memory parameters are set to those of the previous memory used.

Normally with ASRock boards, the A2 and B2 slots are best used with one or two DIMMs. A1 won't improve things, B2 should work fine.

You also might just have a basic memory incompatibility, but the Crucial Ballistix Sport (the low profile I assume?) is commonly sold with that board AFAIK, so it ought to work.

Comment

parsec,

Thanks for the reply.

The motherboard is new so there was no previous memory used on it. The same thing happens with the Crucial Ballistx Sport low-profile in A2/B2 and the single Corsair Vengeance in B1 or B2 -- one second of power and then off.

The Crucial memory is new. The Corsair was from another machine so we know it's good.

So if the memory isn't the problem I'm completely stumped as to what else it could be.

Mike

Comment

Hello,

I have got the same mb with Crucial 2x4G LP and works with defaults.

First please check the bios version (label should be on the chip).
        For this cpu P2.30 or higher needed.

"The motherboard is new so there was no previous memory used on it."
        But do the reset...

Dr.Debug code? Or beeps?

Don't plug the ssds and use only one LP mem in A2.
        Also I wouldn't plug case audio/usb ports, usb mouse (kb enough), speakers (only pc speaker), case fans, vga -> keep to minimum.

There is a small chance that the psu is the source of the problem so if possible try with an other (Haswell ready) unit.
        One of the Newegg's one point reviews:
        DOA: "Powers on for 2 seconds then makes a slight popping sound and shuts off."
        SeaSonic Platinum Series SS-400FL2 Active PFC F3 400W ATX12V Fanless 80 PLUS Platinum Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply New 4th Gen CPU Certified Haswell Ready - Newegg.ca

Regards,
        Last edited by asrockuser483; 11-18-2014, 03:33 PM. Reason: psu

Comment

I tried it with everything unplugged except the power connectors. Same thing. Going ahead clearing CMOS and then troubleshooting the motherboard.

The PSU doesn't pop like in the review you linked to. I can hear a switch turn on and then off, but it's pull only so that's what it would do if the motherboard stopped drawing power. I don't have another Haswell-ready PSU to try so I'll have to check the motherboard first.

Comment

As asrockuser483 said, you need to verify the BIOS version that came with your board. The BIOS chips (there are two) have stickers on them with the version number.

The BIOS chips are right above the board's battery, in the lower right hand corner of the board, near and below the SATA ports.

Do you have both the 24 pin ATX power cable, and the four or eight pin CPU power cable connected to the board? You must have the CPU power cable connected to the board or it will not start.

As also mentioned above, the Dr Debug POST code display on the board will help diagnose the problem. Keep the side of the PC case off and watch the display when you try to start the PC and see if anything is displayed.

If you have the small speaker for the POST beep codes, connect that to the board as another help in finding the problem.

Comment

Assuming you followed the above ideas and still have problems...
              Bridge the CMOS pins and then remove the CMOS battery. Leave for a couple of hours and then reinsert the battery and then remove the bridge to CMOS.
              In most cases the MB will now boot.

Comment

Originally posted by msimm View Post
                I tried it with everything unplugged except the power connectors. Same thing. Going ahead clearing CMOS and then troubleshooting the motherboard.

The PSU doesn't pop like in the review you linked to. I can hear a switch turn on and then off, but it's pull only so that's what it would do if the motherboard stopped drawing power. I don't have another Haswell-ready PSU to try so I'll have to check the motherboard first.
                You can use any power supply with a Haswell CPU if you simply disable the C7 C State in the UEFI, Advanced menu, CPU configuration.

Also if you have at least one 12V fan in your PC case (and who doesn't) you'll be fine even with C7 enabled. All you need is a load on the 12V rail at all times, a fan, HDD, or a video card are all basic components that will prevent the load on the 12V rail to go very low or to zero. All a "Haswell ready" power supply means is it can keep its 12V rail within ATX voltage specs with a very low or zero load on the 12V rail.

You are wasting time if you don't check the POST code on the Dr Debug display. Just have the side of the PC case open and watch it while you press the power button.

Two simple things to check if you have not done so:

You must have the four/eight pin CPU power cable connected to the board, or the CPU will not operate. Also, if you accidentally use a PCIe cable instead of the CPU power cable for the board's CPU power connection, the + and - connections will be reversed, with strange results.

Some CPU coolers (like yours) have the capability to press on the CPU so hard they cause contacts in the socket to change position and have bad connections. If you know you super torqued down your cooler, back off on the screws a bit, you can always tighten them again.

Which brings up bent pins in the CPU socket, which should always be checked before installing a CPU.

Since you've changed the memory from slot to slot, a BIOS clear is a must!

Comment

I *thought* I had replied to parsec's first post in this thread yesterday but I don't see it here. So something went wrong. I was having some trouble with Submit but I thought it was finally working OK.

OK, so I have to make a seriously stupid confession twice! Just before parsec posted...

Originally posted by parsec View Post
                  Do you have both the 24 pin ATX power cable, and the four or eight pin CPU power cable connected to the board? You must have the CPU power cable connected to the board or it will not start.
                  I had been rereading the installation instructions for the motherboard. I had seen that there were places for two different 12V ATX connectors. It wasn't clear if there should be one or the other plugged in or both of them. The instructions say that the motherboard "provides an 8-pinATX 12V power connector" but not that it needed to be plugged in.

And not having built a new machine for a few years I wasn't familiar with this. I hadn't wanted to try plugging in both power connectors in case it would damage something if that was wrong.

But I finally figured out that that both *were* supposed to be plugged in. And I figured it was worth a try. So I plugged in both power connectors and everything else and it booted up fine. I went into the BIOS and set a couple things but it obviously didn't have a problem with the low-profile (and low-voltage?) memory after all.

I see parsec raises that issue in a second reply so I bet I'm not the only one to make this newbie-type goof (I'm a newbie to this type of CPU, I guess, no matter how much else I've done).

Parsec's further information and Britgeezer's are both handy to have available as I see how this will work. I'll set up the machine this weekend with everyone's tips on hand just in case. But I'm very optimistic. I'll report back here on what happened.

This has been a great board. I posted this on another ASRock support board and never got a reply.

Comment

Not to worry, failing to connect the eight pin ATX power cable is a common mistake for new builders, or those that have not built a PC in a while. If that is not the fix for someone at least once a month, that would be unusual.

Not all that long ago, processors got their power from the 5V or 3.3V rails, or the mother board used those rails as the inputs to the CPU power voltage regulators. That has changed, and the 12V rail from a PSU is now the most important power source in a PC.

The need for the four or eight pin CPU power cable may make more sense if we consider that the older 20 pin ATX power connector has only one +12V connection, and the newer 24 pin connector only has two +12V connections!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20pin24pinconnectoroe2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	754728

Comment

Thanks for that bit of kindness, parsec. I've been building PC's since early in the era, always dealing with something new. I was changing HD's in really early ones where the controllers were separate boards and drivers needed to be installed and configured for each drive. It took hours to complete that now-simple task sometimes. My computer experience goes back to mainframes in the 1960's (yeah, I'm one of the rare old people who know more than how to do email ) but fortunately I didn't have to deal with the hardware. But IBM JCL (Job Control Language) was nightmare enough. :)

But I'm a newbie on this one, and terribly spoiled by PnP gear these days. It always just works! Or is easy to find information on. So this one had me stumped and a bit humbled. I can see how it would be a very common mistake, though. If the motherboard installation instructions just said to be sure to plug both 12V sources in...

That said, if I'd searched for the answer to that question I'd have found it. The other thread on this forum looked so much like what was happening to me I was sure that was it, so I went off on that tangent for quite a while.

Anyway, this is what a good forum is for, and I really appreciate the help I've had here. I learned from the people helping with the memory diversion as well. So all's well that ends well.

Comment

Working...
                      X