Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock Z87E memory error

Hi all,

I recently opened an ASRock Z87E that had been sitting new/unopened in a box under my desk. I am receiving the following error on boot:

"The following Channel memory did not pass CPU memory test. Please remove the memory then plug again. Channel A."

Here's what I have done to try to resolve it:

• Reseated the stick in Channel A (failure)
    • Swapped memory sticks between Channel A/B (failure)
    • Booted with only one stick in Channel A (failure)
    • Booted with only one stick in Channel B (success with both sticks)
    • Ensured there is no dust in the slots (can't be, this thing is brand new...I dusted it anyway, no dice)
    • Reset CMOS using button on back of motherboard
    • Reseated the CPU, looked for bent pins but didn't notice any

The RAM I am using is "Crucial Ballistix Sport Very Low Profile 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR3-1600 1.35V UDIMM 240-Pin Memory Modules BLS2C4G3D1609ES2LX0".

Any ideas? It seems like the memory slot is dead, although strangely the "System Browser" in the BIOS is showing both sticks!
    Last edited by klatox; 10-03-2014, 11:36 PM.

Re: ASRock Z87E memory error

I'm curious about what is generating that error message, does it happen during POST, before the POST single beep, and before you can enter the BIOS UI? I don't think it would happen during the actual OS boot.

Is that error message displayed and then the PC continues to boot, or what happens? Do you ever get into the OS? If so, how much memory is recognized?

There are zero Crucial products in the memory support list of this board, FWIW.

The slot cannot be dead if System browser can detect a DIMM inserted in that channel. I'm wondering if a compatibility problem is causing the error in channel A, which then does not continue with channel B. That would explain why both DIMMs fail in channel A.

Did you check the memory voltage in the BIOS? If it is auto set to 1.35V, try increasing it to 1.5V. If below 1.35V, then set it correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
      I'm curious about what is generating that error message, does it happen during POST, before the POST single beep, and before you can enter the BIOS UI? I don't think it would happen during the actual OS boot.

Is that error message displayed and then the PC continues to boot, or what happens? Do you ever get into the OS? If so, how much memory is recognized?

There are zero Crucial products in the memory support list of this board, FWIW.

The slot cannot be dead if System browser can detect a DIMM inserted in that channel. I'm wondering if a compatibility problem is causing the error in channel A, which then does not continue with channel B. That would explain why both DIMMs fail in channel A.

Did you check the memory voltage in the BIOS? If it is auto set to 1.35V, try increasing it to 1.5V. If below 1.35V, then set it correctly.
      Yep I tried both 1.35 and 1.5. I just threw an ASUS Z97I-Plus unit in my case, both memory sticks are reading correctly.

Comment

i am using the same memory modules with the same motherboard. i've been having weird problems with this combination. there are reviews on Newegg about this motherboard having (or developing) bad memory banks. i will add more info, including a screen capture of one memory bank related error i saw on my system, later (very late at night)...

Comment

Same problem, but on Asrock Z87E-ITX. I write inspect of the post is old, because I think It could be of some help for somebody else.

My motherboard started to show the error on POST:
          the following channel memory di not pass CPU memory test.
          please remove the memory then plug again
          Channel A

I had G.Skill TridentX, but I bought 2 Corsair.
          I noticed I had the same problem on the same channel also with Corsair.
          I started to exchenge modules and despite wich module I used, I always had problem on channel A. No way.

I wrote to Asrock. As always they replied (great support everytime). They suggested to:
          * unplug the mobo and keep it unplugget for 10 minute
          * remove the RAM modules
          * clean the modules with a rubber.
          * clean the slot A with rubber or something that could fit (i tried in different way, than clean with compressed air).
          * clear the CMOS.
          * plug the RAM and power and start.
          No way. Same problema on Channel A with both RAM types.

Reading different posts, somebody wrote someting related to CPU. mmm... interesting.

I removed CPU, and .... ops, There was something on one pin.. It seemed (but it was very very very very smal, that a pin orientation was not correct). Th pins are all oriented diagonally with respect to CPU socket borders. One pin was parallel, so in a different orientation. I had to use a magnifier and a very powerful light.

I tried to move the pin with a small plastic part, very smal, usign the magnifier, tring to orient the pin diagonally. I did it. Then I cleand the contact surface of the CPU. Then I plugged the CPU on the socket and I noticed also that plugging the CPU (the way i did it) could cause the pin bending.(exactly that pin).. so maybe the problem started when I pluged it the first time.

I put the cooler, and power connections... and start....

The Channel start to show RAM modules, either G.Skill and Corsair...
          Now it works great.

I hope it could help.
          &

Comment

Originally posted by andreazauli View Post
            Same problem, but on Asrock Z87E-ITX. I write inspect of the post is old, because I think It could be of some help for somebody else.

I hope it could help.
            &
            An equally late response but it certainly helped.

I upgraded from 8gb to 16gb on an old ASRock H87 Pro4 and got beep alert for Channel B. 5 CPU brushes were clearly not aligned and that was the culprit. All good now.

Comment

Working...
            X