Fatal1ty 990FX Killer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fatal1ty 990FX Killer

I have a Fatal1ty 990FX Killer board. It worked, but now I can't get video. I thought it was my video card but it works in my other computer.
    I do not get the boot screen or anything. Just a blank screen. It does not beep when I turn it on. There is no display for any codes to help you out. I took it out of my case and hooked it up barebone. 1 memory stick, video card, and just the power cables (2) only. Still no video. The heat sink works, the lan port lights up when I plug in the cable. The video card was on the top pci-e slot, changed slots and still no video. I don't smell the processor burning so I know it's not the processor.

Just wondering what it could be. If anyone may know please let me know.

Thx...

Fatal1ty 990FX Killer
    GSkills 8GB Memory ( Have 4 sticks of 8GB )
    HIS Radeon HD5770 Video Card

Re: Fatal1ty 990FX Killer

Still haven't figured it out?

What CPU and PSU are you using? Did you try a different PSU?

It seems like you normally get a POST beep when the PC starts, is that right? Did you try clearing the CMOS/BIOS?

A processor could fail without causing a burning odor. Any compatible processor available you could try?

Comment

NO I haven't got it to work yet.

Using AMD FX 9370 8-Core Black Edition. I have tried another psu from my other computer and it still doesn't work. Both psu's are 1000W.
      I do not get the boot up beep or really any beeps at all. Yes I did clear out the cmos and no!

I had an extra MB, I thought I didn't need it so I sold it. So no for the extra processor and mother board. Both are under warranty I believe maybe I can try that.

Now what does work is the heat sink/fan which is hooked to the fan pins on the mother board. The fans on the heat sink run. The lan port lights up when you plug in the cat. 5 cable. That it's that I could tell. No beeps no nothing.

Any help would be awesome....And thx...
      Last edited by BiTs; 08-07-2014, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BiTs View Post
        NO I haven't got it to work yet.

Using AMD FX 9370 8-Core Black Edition. I have tried another psu from my other computer and it still doesn't work. Both psu's are 1000W.
        I do not get the boot up beep or really any beeps at all. Yes I did clear out the cmos and no!

I had an extra MB, I thought I didn't need it so I sold it. So no for the extra processor and mother board. Both are under warranty I believe maybe I can try that.

Now what does work is the heat sink/fan which is hooked to the fan pins on the mother board. The fans on the heat sink run. The lan port lights up when you plug in the cat. 5 cable. That it's that I could tell. No beeps no nothing.

Any help would be awesome....And thx...
        Well, I don't know exactly what happened, but I can say...

Your FX 9370 processor is not listed in your board's compatibility list. The Fatal1ty 990FX Killer is rated for processors up to 140W, the FX 9370 is 220W, which is 57% more than 140W, and that is significant. The 220W spec is without any OC.

The only ASRock board that officially supports a 9370 is the 990 FX Extreme 9, which has a 12 + 2 VRM CPU and memory power supply design, the Fatal1ty 990FX Killer uses a 8 + 2 VRM system.

So it is possible that the CPU VRMs on your board over heated and one or more died, or an associated component like a capacitor, or a trace on the board may have burned. That would explain why other things are working, like the network chip and CPU cooler fan, that use power directly from the PSU. Hopefully the CPU is not damaged, that would be a greater loss than the board.

Your 1000W PSU in a sense may have contributed to the possible VRM failure, since it easily provided all the power to the VRMs that they tried to supply to the CPU, but were simply not up to the task.

The only way to test the board is with another CPU, or if you could test your 9370 in another board. If the 9370 works, then that indicates my theory about the board's VRMs is possibly correct. If a CPU does not get power, a board can't POST, so you won't get any beeps.

Repairing damaged VRMs or capacitors is probably more work and expense than is normally done, plus the work actually finding the bad parts.

Comment

Hmmmm......

What happened is, I went to change my case to a bigger case. It worked fine with no problems since January 2014. I went to rebuild it in the new case and that's when it didn't work. I usually check and do research before I build one, but I do remember just seeing that it was an FX board and it stated that it supports 8 core processors. I did not check the CPU list.

I wonder if the issue is just that it's not compatible vs. it's broken. I did order the Extreme9 board, will be here in a few days. I will find out if the 9370 will work. Now I have to find a processor to put in the Killer board to see if it works.

I did call ASRock and ask them about if it works in the Killer board, he immediately said no. He said I would have too many problems with it. I really didn't have any problems until I changed cases. I wonder if I didn't change cases would it still be working. Probably.

Thx....

Comment

I really didn't have any problems until I changed cases. I wonder if I didn't change cases would it still be working. Probably.
            Count yourself lucky it was working.

Purely speculative but I'm guessing that the heat generated to keep a Killer board running a 9370, then your flexing it while switching cases did it in. Trace(s) somewhere probably brittled out.
            #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
            ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

OK, I got the Extreme9. I hooked up the 9370 to it and guess what?....

It did work. I did it barebone with no hard drive and I did get the bios screen each time. So I take it that it works. I haven't put the computer back together all the way yet.

Now I need to get a processor that will work on my Fatal1ty board so I can find out if it works.

So far I guess I got lucky!!

<label for="rb_iconid_6"></label>

Comment

Good, so the 9370 is not dead.

If moving the board caused it to finally expire from being over worked by the 9370, at some point the board would have died anyway. You did not mention if you had OC the 9370... kinda afraid to ask.

If you put the new board in the new case and it works, then unless you made a mistake installing the old board (shorting it to the case, etc) then the old board may really be broken. There's quite a few processors that will work in that board, a cheap one is all you need.

The problem with the FX series of processors is they evolved over time. The 8150 and 8350 were high power use processors when they were released, but were rated at 125W. The 9370 and 9590 may be FX series and AM3+ compatible processors, but rated at 220W, almost 100W more than the 8150 and 8350! They were released long after the others,

People complain about Intel restricting over clocking to only 'Z' chipset boards, but there is a reason for that. There are minimum requirements for those boards for power delivery, so all the available processors can work in them fine.

People like AMD for having much greater compatibility between their sockets/chipsets/boards, which apparently gives people the impression they can use any processor that will work in even the cheapest boards. We see things like this quite a bit in this forum, usually much worse than your situation.

IMO AMD is at least partially to blame for this, since even their description of a system capable of handling the 9370 or 9590 is not specific enough in its requirements. All they say apparently is this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	amd 9350 reqs.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	754564

The Fatality 990FX board meets the chipset requirements, but nothing else is said about power besides the PSU rating, which is mainly for the video cards. Even the 990FX Extreme 3 meets the specs above, and that board has one half the VRMs that the 990FX Killer does. The CPU support lists do not include the 9370 or 9590, but most people don't check.

Comment

I did clock it to 4.4 Anything else was in the red and I did have issues with it. 4.4 was still in the black.

Your right when you say it is not listed very well whether or not it will work on motherboards. The description was 990fx and it said it supports 8 core processors. No where did it say it was a 125w motherboard. At least I couldn't find it. I did go back to ASRock's web site and Newegg's where I bought it and couldn't find it. Over all I guess it's my fault for not checking the cpu list. At least I had a liquid cooler cooling it. I did check the temps quite often and they were not off the scale.

I will be getting a cheap processor to see if the board works or not. Need to know.

Thx....

Comment

Not rubbing salt in anyone's wounds but, there is in the Specifications "tab' of AM3+ boards on ASRocks site that list what wattage the board is good to.

For sure something could be done to enumerate/detail what's needed for those 220+w monsters. Sellers? On the FX processor sales page maybe?
                    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
                    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Glad to know this for future reference. Didn't know it was there and I thought I called myself checking, but I guess not. I only blame myself. I only will use ASRock anyways.

Comment

I got a cheap processor that is on the cpu list and it also did not work. So I guess it's the motherboard. Shame!! I was hoping.

Thanks for all your help.

Comment

I got a cheap processor that is on the cpu list and it also did not work. So I guess it's the motherboard. Shame!! I was hoping.

Thanks for all your help.
                          Sorry to hear that about your 990FX Killer board.

While reading the specifications on the board's web page is what I always do (the overview is almost all marketing talk), you normally wouldn't think that the second best 990FX board that ASRock makes cannot handle a top of the line, compatible AMD processor. Your attitude about what happened is mature and responsible, but I'm bothered by a few things that are not your responsibility:

* The FX-9370 was released just under a year before the Fatal1ty 990FX Killer board was available. The needs of this CPU were known when this board was designed.

* All of my ASRock-Intel based boards have 8 to 12 phase VRM designs for the CPU power. The actual VRM parts used may vary, but the top of the line Intel CPUs used with these boards when over clocked and stress tested, use one half (or less) the power the FX-9370 does. The FX-8350 is rated at 125W, which is only its TDP, the actual power used will be greater. My i5-4670K at 4.0GHz is using about 75-80W of power while stress testing, and has a TDP of 84W.

My point is, it seems IMO that the VRM power stage for the CPU on many AMD boards is a bit under-specified for its potential usage.

* While the FX-9370 is not in the compatibility list of the Fatal1ty 990FX Killer, you said you ran it at 4.4GHz. That is the stock, non-OC speed. If an otherwise compatible processor cannot be used in a mother board at its stock clock rate, that fact should be highlighted far better than simply not including it in a CPU compatibility list, which may not be up to date, IMO. The irony is the one ASRock board that can handle this CPU is the only one that the compatibility requirements for a FX-9370 and FX-9590.

* The system requirements to support a FX-9370 or FX-9590 do list a compatible board, the 990FX Extreme9. But nowhere in the system requirements do we see what is it about this board that makes it compatible:

Click image for larger version

Name:	AMD 5GHz specs.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	754583

The only significant difference between the 990FX Extreme9 and the Fatal1ty 990FX Killer is the 12 + 2 vs the 8 + 2 VRM design, and the dual stack MOSFET VRM chips used in the 990FX Extreme9. Given the table above, the Fatal1ty 990FX Killer and the rest of your system meet the requirements. The main thing AMD worries about is the CPU cooler, which is only part of the story.

I must say that other mother board manufactures seem to be worse about this situation than ASRock. ASUS has the FX-9370 and FX-9590 listed as compatible (in the CPU QVL) with two of their top 990 chipset boards, that are rated for 140W processors in the specifications.

Comment

I have a Fatal1ty 990FX Killer board. It worked, but now I can't get video. I thought it was my video card but it works in my other computer.
                            I do not get the boot screen or anything. Just a blank screen. It does not beep when I turn it on. There is no display for any codes to help you out. I took it out of my case and hooked it up barebone. 1 memory stick, video card, and just the power cables (2) only. Still no video. The heat sink works, the lan port lights up when I plug in the cable. The video card was on the top pci-e slot, changed slots and still no video. I don't smell the processor burning so I know it's not the processor.

Just wondering what it could be. If anyone may know please let me know.

Thx...

Fatal1ty 990FX Killer
                            GSkills 8GB Memory ( Have 4 sticks of 8GB )
                            HIS Radeon HD5770 Video Card
                            Reason the ASROCK 990FX Killer doesn't work with the 9590.
                            Is because it did used to work until ASRock released BIOS 1.4 which blocked AMD FX-9### support.

Flash your BIOS back to an earlier version and it will work flawlessly.

Running a 9590 @ 4.7GH (stock)
                            Is no different to overclocking an 8350 at 4.7GHZ (my 8350 does it at 1.425v (or 1.475)v with the +50mv core increase enabled in BIOS)

I've ran with that overclock daily for3 years without issue. (albeit with power saving features enabled in BIOS -- Which are obviously only relevant at idle).

Comment

Working...
                            X