Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock auto-overclock "load optimized cpu oc setting" question

Hello!
    My question about this feature is how efficient/safe is it? I'm worried about it using high voltage and damaging my CPU.
    I would also like to know your results (positive or negative) if you have used this feature.

Re: ASRock auto-overclock "load optimized cpu oc setting" question

Efficient and Safe, two words that are not normally associated with CPU over clocking, particularly Automatic OC settings. Not that it is impossible to safely OC a CPU, that is done all the time. To do so efficiently is debatable regarding what efficient is, that in the eyes of the user.

Auto-OC settings are always a tradeoff and compromise between what could be the best settings, vs the realities of the entire PC build and the knowledge of the user. Since Auto-OC settings will be used with many differing hardware configurations that are unknown to the Auto-OC settings designer, they must be designed for anyone. That means when in doubt, choose the worst case situation. The result is some settings are not always necessary, such as setting the CPU cooler fan to run at full speed constantly. Auto-OC settings will never be the most efficient possible, they are designed to work above other considerations.

If you are concerned about high voltages damaging your CPU, you should not be blindly using Auto-OC settings, particularly with Haswell CPUs. That means you need to have the knowledge to reduce the CPU voltage, if possible, and not just ask for "cook book" instructions about what to do.

Since you provided zero information regarding your goals and PC usage with it OC'd, I can only comment on your hardware. When using the Auto-OC settings, your CM Hyper 212 EVO will not be able to keep an OC'd i5-4670K at 4.2 - 4.4GHz from reaching 100C+ when running CPU stress tests, and the CPU will thermal throttle itself. That will happen within minutes of starting the stress test. The Auto-OC will use Adaptive voltage for the CPU, which will work with any CPU being used, but will always provide more voltage than is necessary. How much more depends on the CPU itself, they all vary in their voltage needs.

If you try one, select the lowest OC level, and monitor the CPU voltage and temperature closely. If the noise from the full on CPU cooler fan bothers you, you'll get to know how to adjust it, but keep an eye on the temperature.

Comment

Guess i won't be overclocking

Comment

Originally posted by Achi View Post
        Why? While not necessarily promoting OC'ing to those unaccustomed or less knowledgeable, there are plenty of Z87 BIOS OC guides on the 'net that you could experiment and learn from.

That's half the fun of building our own. Looking over your system specs you certainly chose the proper HW. As parsec implied, watch your temps closely while doing so.

Be patient, take small steps, use a healthy dose common sense while doing so, and know full well you're not shooting for a record OC overnight. Read, practice, and learn how. Slowly, or incrementally. But at your leisure. Again, half the fun is in learning. That's how I learned and I'm betting parsec too. Start at a low OC, work it for a week or month, read some more, practice(trial/error) again to a yet higher OC. Baby steps.

Be forewarned. It's addicting once you learn properly and not just by simply copy some guys settings with almost matching HW. Oh, hold your wallet close too. It'll empty in a hurry once you know what you're doing OC'ing.
        #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
        ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Achi, I'm not trying to put you off of using an Auto-OC, and I should have been congratulating you for knowing and caring that you need to watch the CPU voltage.

The problem is, Haswell processors are the most difficult to OC in terms of controlling heat and CPU voltage that Intel has ever came up with. Actually, I predict historically that Haswell processors will be seen as the most unfriendly for over clocking that were ever released, particularly for those trying to learn how to OC.

When Haswell CPUs were first introduced, veteran OC'ers were surprised how different they were compared to earlier processors. There are technical details why that is the case, some of the main CPU voltage regulators are now part of the CPU, that's never been done before. A new CPU voltage control setting called Adaptive was introduced with Haswell, which when uncontrolled provides way to much voltage. My ASRock board was unable to control Adaptive voltage until a later BIOS update.

Given time to live with my i5-4670K, and see all the things OC enthusiasts do to control temperatures (delidding the CPU, literally removing the top metal cover to expose the internal cpu "die" and attaching the water blocks of custom water cooling parts directly to the die), Haswell processors as an OCing platform defines "epic fail" IMO. I'm not talking about 5GHz OC here, I mean 4.4GHz. Intel really blew it with the 'K' versions of Haswell, and that gives us an insight into how Intel feels or sees the entire OC world... they do not get it whatsoever IMO. There's actually a new version of the K Haswell processors coming out this year, that offers a fix for one of the major design flaws that causes the high CPU temperatures.

Once again, I've just made you feel worse about any OC of your 4670K, right? I'm truly sorry, but I felt it was better to warn you about what was waiting for you after a click or two on the Auto-OC settings, rather than just tell you to go ahead and do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Achi View Post
            Let me try this again for you. It's not as bad as I have said, as I was forgetting an important point, a BIOS/UEFI update has improved things when you OC a Haswell CPU. You'll need at least BIOS/UEFI version 2.60, which should add the updates needed. That includes the (not listed) CPU microcode update, and a change to an option used when you OC, the addition of negative offset voltage when using Adaptive Voltage. That really allows you to reduce the CPU voltage you would get when using Adaptive Voltage, as the Auto-OC settings do, which will keep the CPU temperature lower.

If you are interested in this, let me know in this thread.

Comment

Well there is this:

Intel Performance Tuning Protection Plan

Comment

Working...
              X