Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock Z87 Extreme4 - Freezing on boot screen

Hello Guys!

Sometimes my computer is freezing at the boot screen.
    On the screen where it shows the logo of ASRock and boot options in the lower right corner.
    It is frozen and the keypad does not work.
    Dr Debug shows code 99, but I'm not using any PCI-E card.
    I'm using the onboard video at the moment.
    I reset the computer and back to normal starting windows 8.1 pro x64
    I have already installed all the motherboard drivers and nothing solved.
    I'm worried and scared of this problem get worse over time.

Does anyone know how I can fix?

No Overclock
    ASRock Z87 Extreme4
    i5 4670k
    Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600MHz

Re: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 - Freezing on boot screen

This may or may not help.

I found a complaint from another person who had exactly the same problem you did. This was late last year.
    It turned out that not everything on his motherboard was plugged in properly.
    Once he went through and made sure everything was plugged in and seated correctly and firmly, it worked.

Have you gone through and made sure all your connections (i.e. from PSU to MB, CPU, RAM, etc) are all plugged in/seated properly?

MAIN PC
    CPU
    - i7-3820 @ 3.60Ghz
    MB - AsRock X79 Extreme6 (Bios P2.80)
    RAM - 2 x 8Gb Patriot Viper 1866 CL10 Series @933Mhz
    GPU - ASUS Radeon HD 7870 Direct CU II (2Gb) x 2 (XFire)
    CASE - Fractal Design Desire R4 Black Case (windowless)
    FANS - Standard Fan CPU, 5 x FD Silent 2 140mm Fans in case
    PSU - Thermaltake R2 800W
    SSD - Sandisk SDSSDHP2 240Gb (boot)
    HDD - 2 x Seagate ST2000DM001 2Tb HDD (Storage)
    SYS - Win7 x64 Ultimate
    KB - Logitech K350 Wireless
    MOU -
    Razor Naga Molten mouse
    MON - ASUS VS247H (1920 x 1080)
    UPS - Belkin Line Interactive 1400VA 840W
    System is not overclocked at all.
    2ND PC
    AMD FM2 A10-7850K @ 3.70Ghz
    AsRock FM2A88X Extreme6+ (Bios P2.90)
    2 x 4Gb G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

Kaveri Spectre Desktop (onboard) @ 760Mhz
    Thermaltake V9 case (1 x 120mm, 1 x 240mm fan)
    Corsair H80i Water Cooler w/2 x 120mm fans
    Seasonic G-Series (SSR-650RM Active PFC F3) 650W

OCZ Vertex 4 120Gb SSD (Boot)
    2 x ST2000DM001 2Tb HDD (Storage)
    Win7 X64 Ultimate
    Logitech G15 (6 G Keys) USB
    Logitech MX-518 mouse
    Phillips 22HFL3350D/10 (1920 x 1080)
    NAS - Netgear RN104-100AJS 4 Bay (not hooked in)
    Not overclocking

Comment

99 can refer to onboard PCIE devices also, not just what may or may not be in any given PCIE slot.

Is this a new build or one that's been running fine and just recently developed this?

If it's a new build, remove it from the case, place it on the BARE box the MB came in and test if it does the same.
      #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
      ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Hello, I got the same problem on my new build. Asrock z87 extreme 4 freezes sometimes on boot. First Dr Debug gave me code 99, resting cmos changed the code to A2 and the same random boot freezes. Removing ram for an while seemed to fix that but now Dr debug gives me code A6 and the same freeze problem. I have gone trough all the cables several times so evrything is in place firmly. I also noticed that windows have found an new unregognized component all of sudden that I got no clue of what it is. I have memtested the rams, they should be ok. I have stresstested the cpu and it should be ok.

Asrock z87 extreme 4
        Intel I7 4770k
        Kingston HeyperX beast 2*4gb 2400mhz
        Asus gtx 780
        Corsair RM750 psu
        Win 8.1 64
        Last edited by Arskad0; 02-17-2014, 03:31 PM. Reason: added components

Comment

The unknown or problem device in Device Manager can be caused by not installing the Intel IME software, this version on your board's download page: Intel Management Engine driver ver:9.5.14.1724, for Win 8.1.

Comment

Why doesn't Asrock support there old drivers list? The AsMedia is not updated and you can not find the drivers from them as it is a tywanees company. I heard great things about there boards, I guess there is a big difference between the Extreme OC and my extreme 6.I know I got an old board, but my three year old Asus board gets regular updates. The Ass Media is causing hovac, @OP please try disabling it in the bios to see if that helps?
            MSI X-99SLI
            Intel 5930K WATER
            EVGA Nilla 1080
            POWER!

http://www.3dmark.com/3dmv/5003339

I did this> :) Default RMA discussion banned

Comment

Originally posted by jaggerwild View Post
              Why doesn't Asrock support there old drivers list? The AsMedia is not updated and you can not find the drivers from them as it is a tywanees company. I heard great things about there boards, I guess there is a big difference between the Extreme OC and my extreme 6.I know I got an old board, but my three year old Asus board gets regular updates. The Ass Media is causing hovac, @OP please try disabling it in the bios to see if that helps?
              Are you using Win 8, have (had) the ASMedia ports enabled, and the Intel IRST driver for the Intel SATA ports?

If so, that is a combination that will create havoc, well put! My ASR Z87 EX 6 board has two of the dang ASMedia chips in it, to support four extra SATA ports. Disabled them long ago...

I believe the latest ASMedia driver that ASR provides is ASMedia SATA3 Driver ver:1.4.1.0, which ASR claims fixes the problems, but never tried it myself. Just go to any ASR Z87 Extreme board's download page to find it, if you want to try it. If you are using Win 8, or Win 7, you could try the standard MS AHCI driver, for Win 8 that is now storahci, for Win 7 it's msahci.

I forgot about the freezing nonsense with the ASMedia driver and Win 8, IF I recall that correctly. The add on SATA chipsets like the ASMedia 1061 and Marvell 91xx series are only connected to one PCI-E 2.0 lane, at 5Gb/s, which at least partially explains their poor performance. Also, the ASMedia driver has been not compatible with the Intel IRST driver (IIRC!) since the later IRST version 11 drivers, even with Win 7.

Comment

Hello forum!
                I think I managed to get rid of the problem with the computer sometimes freezing on the motherboard splash screen on boot. It seemed like the more USB devices where connected the more often the problem happened. I went to UEFI -> Advanced -> USB configuration and set; Legacy USB support to UEFI setup only and Legacy usb 3.0 support to disabled. The random boot freezes did stop with that. It seemed almost like the motherboard/ PSU where not able to give power to USB devices and SATA devices at the boot sometimes. But this fixed it to me, hope it does help some one else as well!

Comment

Arskad0,

I've been troubleshooting the problem for a year and your solution seems to work.

I've tested by sleeping/resuming a half dozen times perfectly.
                  In the past one or two resumes max before it would hang on desktop.

Thanks!

Comment

I have an X99X Killer with a very similar problem, except mine hangs right after first post, before entering BIOS when I push F2, right after Windows starts and after Windows closes. I tried this solution and all of the hangs disappeared except the one after Windows starts. A new problem has arisen, Now when I choose to go into BIOS it won't. The only way I found to get back in is to reset the BIOS. Any ideas?

Thanks

Comment

you have wireless keyboard?
                      try wired key to get into bios worked for me.
                      Or try ASRock Restart to UEFI.
                      With my system (wireless mouse/key) Restart to UEFI brings up bios but I don't have any input

My freeze on resume problem came back.
                      Seems to be after system is sleeping for a while maybe going into S4-S5 deep sleep. Turning off deep sleep in bios no help.

Otherwise this system is perfect.
                      I wonder if Installing and activating rapidstart might work around?
                      Or how can I prevent deep sleep?
                      Resume works OK if done with a minute of sleep.
                      Last edited by Asrocket; 12-18-2014, 03:43 PM.

Comment

No it's wired.

Comment

Originally posted by exracer1 View Post
                          I have an X99X Killer with a very similar problem, except mine hangs right after first post, before entering BIOS when I push F2, right after Windows starts and after Windows closes. I tried this solution and all of the hangs disappeared except the one after Windows starts. A new problem has arisen, Now when I choose to go into BIOS it won't. The only way I found to get back in is to reset the BIOS. Any ideas?

Thanks
                          Hello, yes I have to restart the bios every time I want to make changes in it as well becuse the only way to get the freezes to stop is to disable USB devices at boot and at BIOS. A way around could be using a PS/2 keyboard ( if you have the port), I have considered trying it but havent gotten a PS/2 keyboard yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Arskad0 View Post
                            Hello forum!
                            I think I managed to get rid of the problem with the computer sometimes freezing on the motherboard splash screen on boot. It seemed like the more USB devices where connected the more often the problem happened. I went to UEFI -> Advanced -> USB configuration and set; Legacy USB support to UEFI setup only and Legacy usb 3.0 support to disabled. The random boot freezes did stop with that. It seemed almost like the motherboard/ PSU where not able to give power to USB devices and SATA devices at the boot sometimes. But this fixed it to me, hope it does help some one else as well!
                            wow - I have been trying to sort out freeze on Mobo splash screen for ages :( never would have suspected USB (I had 10 or so lol) your solution worked - thank you !!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X