Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: C2750D4I Marvel 9230 SATA port problems

Originally posted by littlelio View Post
    So this time I was able to find something and kind of fixed it!

I have apologize that I said Asrock 'did nothing' about 9230 issue. When I was just checking the C2570 webpage, I saw some texts like "To disable Marvell SE 9230 HW Raid, please click here", and here is the link ASRock Rack > Support where also provides a package for 9230 on C2550. And here is the description for the fix:

Since we found Marvell 9230 Raid Mode get some problem at some OS, we already highlighted this issue to Marvell.
    In the short term solution, can disable Marvell 9230 HW Raid function to make Marvell 9230 port more stable, please follow below procedure to flash Marvell 9230 FW to disable HW Raid function.

So I boot the server into DOS, simply run the firmware updater to disable the raid function. Then connected all the disk back to 9230 ports, run the same snapraid sync command, and it went through without any problem.

I recon this is a good news! More tests may be needed, but it look good! Any updates I will let you guys now. Thanks.

Hi littlelio, ASRock has been working closely with Marvell to update the firmware of their SE9230 chipset. And we do have one latest version you can try that out. Please let me know, thanks! [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by littlelio View Post
      So this time I was able to find something and kind of fixed it!

I have apologize that I said Asrock 'did nothing' about 9230 issue. When I was just checking the C2570 webpage, I saw some texts like "To disable Marvell SE 9230 HW Raid, please click here", and here is the link ASRock Rack > Support where also provides a package for 9230 on C2550. And here is the description for the fix:

Since we found Marvell 9230 Raid Mode get some problem at some OS, we already highlighted this issue to Marvell.
      In the short term solution, can disable Marvell 9230 HW Raid function to make Marvell 9230 port more stable, please follow below procedure to flash Marvell 9230 FW to disable HW Raid function.

So I boot the server into DOS, simply run the firmware updater to disable the raid function. Then connected all the disk back to 9230 ports, run the same snapraid sync command, and it went through without any problem.

I recon this is a good news! More tests may be needed, but it look good! Any updates I will let you guys now. Thanks.
      Thanks for posting this info! This is good. I could care less about their RAID anyway as I use software based ZFS raid. It will be nice to make a few more of the SATA3 ports usable.

Comment

You can also check if you have the latest Marvell FW version #1063 by entering into the Marvell storage configuration BIOS (ctrl+m).

Comment

Originally posted by ASRockRack TSD - Bill View Post
          Hi littlelio, ASRock has been working closely with Marvell to update the firmware of their SE9230 chipset. And we do have one latest version you can try that out. Please let me know, thanks! [email protected]
          Thanks! I just sent you an email!

Comment

Nobody notice that its forced to PCI-E Gen1 with this firmware?

New

Old

Comment

Originally posted by Shonk View Post
              Nobody notice that its forced to PCI-E Gen1 with this firmware?

New

Old

The new firmware v2.3.0.1063 for Marvell SE9230 still keeps the PCIe Speed Rate @ 5.0Gps x2. Please try to clear CMOS or reflash the Marvell SE9230 firmware.

Click image for larger version

Name:	MarvellSE9230_1063_PCIeSpeedRate.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	754984

Comment

I have the same error ;(
                Is there any working solution for this?

Comment

Just found this thread. I have exactly the same message in my kernel logs. It doesn't seem to be causing major problems, but when it hits things stall for a few seconds when the drive is reset. I am concerned about undetected data corruption. (although, since it only seems to be failing during SMART commands to the sata device I would not expect writes to be impacted.) I am using 4 drives on a software RAID (CentOS 6 and mdadm)

My board is at Firmware 2.80.

Any updates on this issue?

--- Carl

Comment

Working...
                  X