ASRock Z87 Extreme4 - eSATA not recognized

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock Z87 Extreme4 - eSATA not recognized

I assembled a new PC with a ASRock Z87 Extreme4 motherboard just because I needed an eSATA port available for my old WD My Book Studio II - it was my boot HD (working fine at the eSATA port on my old motherboard ASUS Rampage II Extreme).

I've supposedly already tried all combinations of settings related to eSATA in the BIOS software and the motherboard was not able to detect that HD. I can use it only connected to the USB port, but I really would like to get its full speed connecting to the eSATA port.

Nothing is connected to the internal SATA connector named SATA3_A0_A1 - I'm only using that one named: SATA3_0_1 and SATA3_2_3.

The only thing I can think is about a note that I found at the manual: "The eSATA connector supports SATA with cables within 1 meters".
    My eSATA cable is 1.20m long. So, could this extra small length avoid me to get it working?
    Is there anybody who has experienced something like that?

Thanks for any comment.
    Last edited by Micheus; 03-16-2015, 08:50 PM. Reason: set as solved

Re: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 - eSATA not recognized

This weekend I was looking for a solution to my problem - as it seems no one knows about that...

As my PC case has a eSATA connector on the front panel, I decided to connect it to the internal eSATA connectors and check it someone would work.

For my surprise (or not) the only connector in which my WD Book Studio II was not recognized was the SATA3_A0 (exactly that "connector is shared with eSATA port").
    So, it seems not to be a cable length or any other compatibility issues, but a problem with the shared connector since the second ASMedia SATA connector (SATA3_A1) also has recognized my HD.

Well, I got a ugly arrangement for my PC, but at least I have the HD connected to a SATA port now.

Comment

I have the same problem, G-Speed Q freezes Windows 8.1 when connected to ASMEDIA esata port.
      I tried the Windows native driver as well as three versions from ASMEDIA.
      The drive detects but not the volume. The ASMEDIA drivers cause hard locks on detection.

I am using a 2m cable. Has anyone tried a shorter cable (1m)?

Comment

My old (problematic) cable was 1.20m long and I fixed the problem by replacing it for a new one 90 cm long.
        Sorry for not have shared the solution.

Comment

Originally posted by Micheus View Post
          I assembled a new PC with a ASRock Z87 Extreme4 motherboard just because I needed an eSATA port available for my old WD My Book Studio II - [...]
          That link doesn't work for me, and the product doesn't exist on WDC website! Only WD My Book Studio exists which isn't eSATA.

Originally posted by Micheus View Post
          [...] As my PC case has a eSATA connector on the front panel, I decided to connect it to the internal eSATA connectors and [...]
          You mean internal SATA connectors, Yes?

As you know, when a port is shared between two headers, one of them can be used at a time, not both. So, if Your A0 port is not used, you should be able to use the eSATA.
          According to your description, this port doesn't work at all at least with your WDC drive. I would test the A0 port with one of internal drives, then test the eSATA port via a SATA2eSATA cable (and with the same drive).

Comment

Originally posted by Asrocket View Post
            I have the same problem, G-Speed Q freezes Windows 8.1 when connected to ASMEDIA esata port.
            I tried the Windows native driver as well as three versions from ASMEDIA.
            The drive detects but not the volume. The ASMEDIA drivers cause hard locks on detection.

I am using a 2m cable. Has anyone tried a shorter cable (1m)?
            This problem is very likely be solved using 1m cable or less.

Comment

Originally posted by bahram_alinezhad View Post
              That link doesn't work for me, and the product doesn't exist on WDC website! Only WD My Book Studio exists which isn't eSATA.
              The link still works for me. As told in the first post "my OLD ..." - so, you will find it in the "Legacy External".
              Here is the pdf link: My Book Studio ™ II User Manual - check the page 9.

You mean internal SATA connectors, Yes?
              Yes, you are right. :)

As you know, when a port is shared between two headers, one of them can be used at a time, not both. So, if Your A0 port is not used, you should be able to use the eSATA.
              According to your description, this port doesn't work at all at least with your WDC drive. I would test the A0 port with one of internal drives, then test the eSATA port via a SATA2eSATA cable (and with the same drive).
              I did that and the conclusion was the same: the ASMedia port didn't support a cable "too long".

Comment

Hmm, the eSATA standard specifies a maximum cable length of 2.0 meters. Which means a 1.2 meter cable is well within the eSATA specification.

But, the eSATA standard specifies an increased minimum transmission voltage, of 500-600mv, compared to regular SATA's 400-600mv.

The eSATA standard also allows for a decreased minimum received voltage, of 240–600 mV rather than the 325–600 mV of SATA.

If the SATA interface connected to an eSATA port does not provide the eSATA minimum transmission voltage, then the eSATA cable length is said to be reduced to 1.0 meter maximum length.

Note that the eSATA spec seems to require that a drive used with an eSATA connection will be able to work with the lower minimum received voltage allowed for by the specification.

I would assume that the drives used in the My Book Studio II external enclosure would be compatible with the eSATA specification.

Given the eSATA specs, it would seem the ASMedia SATA chipset is not providing the minimum eSATA transmission voltage. That is implied by the fact that a 1.0 meter eSATA cable works while a longer cable did not. This assumes the 1.2 meter eSATA cable is designed and working correctly, and that the My Book drive is working within the eSATA specification.

If two drives were connected to the ASMedia SATA interface, that might cause the minimum transmission voltage provided by the chip to be reduced.

So I'm not sure if we can blame the ASMedia SATA chipset for the failure of the longer eSATA cable to work correctly, but given the eSATA specs, and the fact that a 1.0 meter cable works, it seems that is the case.

Comment

And a shielded cable is required for external SATA in order to decrease the noise affection. Its importance rises with the rising of cable length.

Comment

Working...
                  X