Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IMPORTANT BIOS Update Information For ASRock Intel 6 Series and X79 Chipset Mother Boards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: IMPORTANT BIOS Update Information For ASRock Intel 6 Series and X79 Chipset Mother Boards

Originally posted by parsec View Post
    Gordon68, thanks for the info and your kind words.

Rather off topic, but...

About your drive issue, is the drive connected via eSATA new, never used before? Or recently wiped with a diskpart clean command? Can the drive be seen in the BIOS if it is connected and you restart the PC? Hot plug enabled for the eSATA port? Initialized in Windows?
    I'm using an eSATA Docking Station it has a USB 2.0 option that I am not using (using Asmedia eSATA from motherboard). During post it is not showing on screen with other drives but is listed in bios once I enter setup. Before the bios update I could restore backups from a drive inserted in the docking station but now my backup software warns that the drive has not been given a drive number by the bios, so it cannot boot into dos mode and restore from it.

On Topic, I am now running bios 2.30 without any other issues.

Comment

Re: IMPORTANT BIOS Update Information For ASRock Intel 6 Series and X79 Chipset Mother Boards

You really should create a thread of you own about this issue in this forum, this thread is not meant for anything else except its topic.

Comment

Hi everyone, Please help. I have a X79 Extreme 9 - I7 3930K and I can't update the BIOS 3.9 from beta3.61. every time I boot into F6 or F2, the system recognises (can see) The BIOS file 3.9 in my usb. It doesn't flash itself nor I can install it manually, cause' the machine stalls all I can do is moving the mouse pointer around, but can not click on any thing to work, accept to press restart button to reboot normally. I try too many times (still same problem) and I even try to downwards to BIOS 3.60. but still can not install the 3.60. I can browse the BIOS menu normally. It only stalls when I try to update or downgrade the BIOS.
        Please help..what have I done wrong ? very much appreciate for your help.

Comment

It looks like the 3.61Beta should have all the updates that are in 3.60. When you installed 3.61, did you leave the USB flash drive in the PC until Windows completely boots after the BIOS update? That is essential for that update to complete correctly.

3.60 is the Ivy Bridge compatible BIOS update that also updates the Intel IME firmware. I hope 3.61 does the same thing, did you try to flash 3.61 again, and do not remove the flash drive until after Windows boots?

Also, did you update to the new version of the Intel IME software that is required after 3.60 or 3.61 is installed?

If your CPU is OC'd at all, set it to stock settings when trying to flash the BIOS.

BIOS 3.9 is not very important unless you have an IVB-E processor, and even then all it is about is the automatic OC settings for IVB-E processors, which you don't seem to have.

Comment

It looks like the 3.61Beta should have all the updates that are in 3.60. When you installed 3.61, did you leave the USB flash drive in the PC until Windows completely boots after the BIOS update? That is essential for that update to complete correctly.

3.60 is the Ivy Bridge compatible BIOS update that also updates the Intel IME firmware. I hope 3.61 does the same thing, did you try to flash 3.61 again, and do not remove the flash drive until after Windows boots?

Also, did you update to the new version of the Intel IME software that is required after 3.60 or 3.61 is installed?

If your CPU is OC'd at all, set it to stock settings when trying to flash the BIOS.

BIOS 3.9 is not very important unless you have an IVB-E processor, and even then all it is about is the automatic OC settings for IVB-E processors, which you don't seem to have.
            Thanks very much Parsec for your help. I tried to reinstalled IME v8.1.40.1416_1.5M and set to factory default re flash 3.61, but it's still no go... same problem. Do you think, I should format the PC and that will work.? Thanks again..

Comment

Sorry I did not reply sooner, I missed your last post.

I don't think installing Windows again will fix your problem, that does not affect the BIOS at all.

What are you using for a mouse, a wireless mouse or a gaming mouse? Do you have a simple wired mouse, either USB or even PS2 you can try? Did you ever try moving around the BIOS screen with the keyboard, and highlighting the thing you want to click on, and then press Enter on the keyboard? A simple wired keyboard might also help you select what you want on a BIOS screen.

Comment

yes parsec I'm using simple wired usb mouse & keyboard. Strange when I'm in BIOS flashing screen my keyboard is dead, can not arrow up or down or press enter, can not do anything. with the mouse pointer I can move any where, but I can not click on anything to work or reboot normally with the mouse , I resume the screen frozen. So I have to press restart button to boot normal. Thanks parsec hopefully You come up with a solution.

Comment

Hi Parsec do you know if its safe downgrade to previous bios?

After updating this BIOS, please flash newer versions only.

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by PLAY911 View Post
                    Hi Parsec do you know if its safe downgrade to previous bios?

After updating this BIOS, please flash newer versions only.

Thank you
                    That is a difficult question, that depends on your mother board and CPU, what UEFI/BIOS version you have now, and if you successfully applied the Ivy Bridge compatible UEFI/BIOS version.

As you know, ASRock does not recommend flashing to earlier versions, once the Ivy Bridge compatible UEFI has been applied. That is why the earlier UEFI versions have been removed. That was done on all boards that have the Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge compatibility update. The IVB compatible UEFI/BIOS version changes the Intel IME firmware that is part of the UEFI/BIOS file, and it is not known if the earlier UEFI/BIOS versions restore the SB style IME firmware.

I have seen a couple posts that claim users of boards like yours have successfully changed back to an earlier UEFI/BIOS version, but I can't verify that myself with every ASRock board that this applies to. I also don't know what state their UEFI/BIOS was in when they tried to change back, meaning did they successfully change to the IVB compatible version or not, before they changed back to the earlier version.

What is your board's current situation, UEFI/BIOS version update history, the CPU that you use, and how does your board function now?

Comment

Hi Parsec sorry for the delay in my response.....I downgraded to 3.00 and evererything worked fine but (always but ;) ) there is a problem my VTT voltaje and VCSA voltage are stuck....I cant change them...something really weird. I bought a new ios chip to know if the problem was because of the downgrade and still the coltages are stuck. Do you know what can be the problem?...I have tried everything, flash older versions, use AXTU....nothing seems to work!....plz helpThank you!
                      That is a difficult question, that depends on your mother board and CPU, what UEFI/BIOS version you have now, and if you successfully applied the Ivy Bridge compatible UEFI/BIOS version.As you know, ASRock does not recommend flashing to earlier versions, once the Ivy Bridge compatible UEFI has been applied. That is why the earlier UEFI versions have been removed. That was done on all boards that have the Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge compatibility update. The IVB compatible UEFI/BIOS version changes the Intel IME firmware that is part of the UEFI/BIOS file, and it is not known if the earlier UEFI/BIOS versions restore the SB style IME firmware.I have seen a couple posts that claim users of boards like yours have successfully changed back to an earlier UEFI/BIOS version, but I can't verify that myself with every ASRock board that this applies to. I also don't know what state their UEFI/BIOS was in when they tried to change back, meaning did they successfully change to the IVB compatible version or not, before they changed back to the earlier version.What is your board's current situation, UEFI/BIOS version update history, the CPU that you use, and how does your board function now?

Comment

Please delete this post.

Sorry and thank you.
                        Last edited by bleepboop; 04-27-2014, 06:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PLAY911 View Post
                          Hi Parsec sorry for the delay in my response.....I downgraded to 3.00 and evererything worked fine but (always but ;) ) there is a problem my VTT voltaje and VCSA voltage are stuck....I cant change them...something really weird. I bought a new ios chip to know if the problem was because of the downgrade and still the coltages are stuck. Do you know what can be the problem?...I have tried everything, flash older versions, use AXTU....nothing seems to work!....plz helpThank you!
                          You have a new BIOS chip? What BIOS version does it have? You are using a Sandy Bridge E CPU, correct, which model? Did you install the Intel IME software?

Changing to BIOS 3.0 on your original BIOS chip did not fix everything because the IME firmware that is part of the BIOS did not get replaced. That only happens on special BIOS updates like 3.20.

If the new BIOS chip did not allow you to change the VTT and VCSA voltages, something is really wrong. Have you cleared the CMOS/BIOS, loaded the UEFI/BIOS defaults, removed the board's battery and cleared the CMOS/BIOS at the same time?

Comment

Hello

I have Asrock P67 Fatality Performance MB.
                            BIOS is 2.20
                            Yesterday i was updated my ME FW from v8.0.2.1402(which was in BIOS 2.20) to v8.1.52.1496.
                            Now i want to update my BIOS(2.20) with "UEFI BIOS Updater". [Tool] "UEFI BIOS Updater" (UBU)
                            I wanna know if flashing 2.20 bios again will rewrite ME FW to older version,because in the 2.20 BIOS is ME FW 8.0.2.1402 and it is flashed when you flash BIOS.
                            It is described here in topic:

2. After updating BIOS, please press any key to restart your system. At this moment, please do not remove the USB flash until Intel ME F/W update is finished.

Should i try to downgrade ME FW manualy before flashing BIOS and is it possible?
                            And if i leave this ME FW 8.1.52.1496 and try to flash BIOS 2.20 could i brick the MB?

Comment

I just flashed my updated 2.20 BIOS,i was updated CPU Microcode and OROM IRST SATA.
                              All went well and ME FW remained v8.1.52.1496 :)

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to post this thread, when clearly even the ASRock couldnt be bothered to include decent details.

I was thinking about updating my Z68 bios to the latest/Ivy version even though I have a SB CPU. Glad I found this before doing it and potentially causing issues.

Sad that their documentation is so poor. Between this and (moreso) their customer svc (9 days to respond to an email FFS), I'll never buy ASrock again.

EDIT: Sounds like the BIOS update is fairly safe, judging from all those that said it worked. Still, I'm gonna wait to do it until I have the cash to buy a new mobo in case I brick it. I also emailed ASRock('s ****ty) customer support to shed some light on this (I won't hold my breath).
                                Last edited by Bebop0389; 05-08-2014, 01:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X