Z87 Extreme6/ac Memory bank B1 and B2 not recognizing memory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z87 Extreme6/ac Memory bank B1 and B2 not recognizing memory

I have G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-1866C9D-16GSR
    works fine in Banks A1 and A2 see 8GB in each bank but this is single channel mode
    When I put this memory in A1 and B1 the B1 Bank doesn't see memory for dual channel mode
    When I put memory in A2 and B2 in doesn't see memory in B2 for dual channel mode
    Bios is flash to 1.40 the latest
    I put this memory in my Asus P6X58D-E and it both Memory chips work fine

So do I have bad motherboard. I just bought :(

Re: Z87 Extreme6/ac Memory bank B1 and B2 not recognizing memory

Your memory model may not be in the memory support list, none of the G.SKILL 1866 8GB DIMMs are the GSR model, there are a couple GBSR models listed in smaller capacities. But since they work in Channel A, it does seem as if the Channel B slots have a problem.

The other possible problem is bent pins in the CPU socket, since the memory controller is in the CPU.

Is the memory not seen in the UEFI and Windows, or just the OS?

Comment

Intriguing - I have the same general problem but opposite channels. Same exact memory (G.SKILL Sniper (2 x 8GB) F3-1866C9D-16GSR) but I have the non ac version of the Z87 Extreme 6.

The two sticks always work when when in these channels:
      B1/B2
      and the computer boots up correctly and all 16GB are showing in both UEFI and Windows.

However, using any A channel:
      A2/B2
      A1/B1
      A1/B2
      A2/B1
      it will not get past POST and instead gives the error: "The following Channel Memory did not pass CPU memory test. Please remove the memory then plug again. Channel A

Can't decide if I should try new memory or get a new board. With almost the same exact issue with the same memory, I'm tempted to at least try the new memory route first since I'd hate to redo my case with the new MB...

Any possible solutions I can try before returning the memory? Using the acceptable list on the asrock site sucks and doesn't even make sense as far as searching for model numbers since you don't know before searching if the model numbers are for 1 8gb stick or 4x8GB packs - anything you'd recommend for either 1600 or 1866 in the 2x8GB kit that is on their ok list? I'd really hate to spend more than $130 for memory.

Comment

Well, that was a waste of my time. I got memory on their approved list (ADATA USA XPG Gaming Series DDR3 1600 16GB (8GB x 2) PC3 12800 Internal Memory AX3U1600GW8G9-2G) and same problem - no channel A banks work and it throws the same error up. Time to RMA the board - my first asrock is not looking promising between this and the other thread about this being a pretty poor overclocker. Never should have switched from ASUS but the "Purity Sound" really sold me...

Comment

Different board, different chipset, but perhaps try to set the memory voltage to the rated value, or possibly a few ticks over, and that might just fix your issues? As I just happened to found this problem on the Z68 Extreme 4 with G.Skill RAM: ASROCK z68 Extreme 4 DR Debug Code 45 - Motherboards - Motherboards

Comment

New question - I successfully installed all the drivers, utilities, and win8 and the computer was working fine (except for not being able to use Channel A memory banks). I pulleded the MB out to RMA it because of the memory problem and they'll replace it with the same MB.

Once I get the new board and hook it up, I'm sure I'll have to update the BIOS first thing, but do I have to reinstall any of the drivers/utilities since I'm using the same MB? I wouldn't think so but I figured I should ask...

Comment

Originally posted by Shiari View Post
              Different board, different chipset, but perhaps try to set the memory voltage to the rated value, or possibly a few ticks over, and that might just fix your issues? As I just happened to found this problem on the Z68 Extreme 4 with G.Skill RAM: ASROCK z68 Extreme 4 DR Debug Code 45 - Motherboards - Motherboards
              wish I would have tried this before going the RMA route, but it was too late. We'll see what happens with the new board using the same memory.

Comment

To close this, I did get the RMA on my board and the replacement board worked just fine with my original F3-1866C9D-16GSR. So, no problem with the memory, just a problem with the board. Newegg did take 3 weeks to turn around the replacment which was less than stellar.

Comment

Same here. my board was replace. That fixed the problem. so problem was not with memory but defects on MLB.

Comment

Same problem, but on Asrock Z87E-ITX. I write inspect of the post is old, because I think It could be of some help for somebody else.

My motherboard started to show the error on POST:
                    the following channel memory di not pass CPU memory test.
                    please remove the memory then plug again
                    Channel A

I had G.Skill TridentX, but I bought 2 Corsair.
                    I noticed I had the same problem on the same channel also with Corsair.
                    I started to exchenge modules and despite wich module I used, I always had problem on channel A. No way.

I wrote to Asrock. As always they replied (great support everytime). They suggested to:
                    * unplug the mobo and keep it unplugget for 10 minute
                    * remove the RAM modules
                    * clean the modules with a rubber.
                    * clean the slot A with rubber or something that could fit (i tried in different way, than clean with compressed air).
                    * clear the CMOS.
                    * plug the RAM and power and start.
                    No way. Same problema on Channel A with both RAM types.

Reading different posts, somebody wrote someting related to CPU. mmm... interesting.

I removed CPU, and .... ops, There was something on one pin.. It seemed (but it was very very very very smal, that a pin orientation was not correct). Th pins are all oriented diagonally with respect to CPU socket borders. One pin was parallel, so in a different orientation. I had to use a magnifier and a very powerful light.

I tried to move the pin with a small plastic part, very smal, usign the magnifier, tring to orient the pin diagonally. I did it. Then I cleand the contact surface of the CPU. Then I plugged the CPU on the socket and I noticed also that plugging the CPU (the way i did it) could cause the pin bending.(exactly that pin).. so maybe the problem started when I pluged it the first time.

I put the cooler, and power connections... and start....

The Channel start to show RAM modules, either G.Skill and Corsair...
                    Now it works great.

I hope it could help.
                    &

Comment

Working...
                    X