Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Asmedia 106x SATA Controller 0.90 AHCI Mode or PCIE Error?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asmedia 106x SATA Controller 0.90 AHCI Mode or PCIE Error?

This error goes back to at least 2007, and still not fixed. This mobo
    is being returned, and I'm buying a mobo from Asus that actually fixes their
    errors.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Wa�chman; 02-02-2013, 11:38 AM. Reason: ASROCK support is non existent.

Re: Asmedia 106x SATA Controller 0.90 AHCI Mode or PCIE Error?

I figured the error out, no thanks to Asrock support. Asmedia's driver was installed, the problem is the Sata 3 controller regardless if there is a device connected or not, still searches, and gives you an error. No good
    manufacturer has their device search if there is none attached or if there is no power to the device, both reflecting the same device state of null. I disabled the Sata3 since I have no device attached and the error is gone.
    Glad I did not need to return this mobo, I only paid $29 for it, and would have lost money.

Comment

How is that message an error, unless you have a drive connected to the ASMedia chipset? It's not an error, just a warning.

The PC did not stop the POST process or refused to boot, did it? Mine doesn't if I have the ASMedia controller enabled, but nothing connected to it.

That's the ASMedia Option ROM running during POST, not something related to ASRock. That display can be disabled in my BIOS.

Consider your statement: the problem is the Sata 3 controller regardless if there is a device connected or not, still searches, and gives you an error.

So how does the controller know if anything is connected to it if it doesn't search for devices? That's a standard operation of a SATA controller, finding connected devices. If it finds any, they are listed, if not it displays none connected. Perfectly logical.

Comment

I would consider it an error when not one of my previous mobos, Asus, MSI, or Intel ever gave that 'warning' or 'error', regardless of a Sata device attached.
        The USB controller is designed the same way, and yet you do not see a USB error/warning message on boot up.
        I am just glad I found a way around the error, now it is time to tweak the system.

Comment

ASMedia has coded their Option ROM in that manner, ASRock does not control that. The Intel and Marvell SATA chipsets simply don't do that. Actually, I could swear that the newer Marvell Option ROM on my ASUS board does display no drives found.

OMG, can you imagine a USB controller, such as Intel's, with 14 ports available, that are used with removable devices (their intent), warning that devices are not connected? Apples and oranges.

Comment

Hello all,

If you don't boot from the HDD which connected to ASMedia SATA3 ports or plug the HDD to ASMedia ports, you can disable "ASMedia SATA3 Bootable" option under BIOS.
            The path of option: BIOS -> Advanced -> Storage Configuration -> ASMedia SATA3 Bootable.

The message of "Can't find any device" won't appear.

If any question, please let me know.
            Thanks!

Have a nice day
            ASRock TSD
            Emily

Comment

I have same PCIe ASmedia 106x card .
              when there is nothing connected at the SATA ports it mention "nothing found
              when a HDD is connected or DVD player it mentions the type correctly.
              When a DVD player is connected with a bootable disk in it it starts up from that disk
              if a HDD is connected (bootable or not) the PC starts building teh windows logo, but stops then and can only be switched of by disconnecting the power.
              When PC is started op normally with primairy HDD the HDD connecdted to teh ASMedia card can be hot plugged and isrecognized then, but a restart will make the PC "hang"and a start up repair is required.
              what is teh option to let it start from teh primairy HD witha 2nd HDD connected to teh SATA card?

Gerrit-B

Comment

Working...
              X