ASRock Z77 Extreme4: only 2 DIMMs detected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock Z77 Extreme4: only 2 DIMMs detected

Just got my new Z77 Extreme4 yesterday, and finished building earlier today. Found a strange issue of only 2 out of 4 DIMMs detected (used) by the mobo, even though System Browser shows all 4 slots are occupied with the correct memory identification. I have tried 4 different sets of memory:
    • G.Skill Sniper 4x8GB DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24 1.5v that I bought for this build, then
    • OCZ 4x2GB DDR3-1333,
    • G.Skill 4x2GB DDR3-1600, and lastly
    • G.Skill 4x4GB DDR3-1600.

Of course, each set contains 4 identical DIMMs. When I put only 2 DIMMs on slot 1 and 3, they're both recognized. Same as putting on slot 2 and 4. Mixed and matched the DIMMs in the set also worked in 2 DIMM, slot 1+3 OR 2+4 combination. HOWEVER, when I put 4 DIMMS, only the ones in slot 2 and 4 are recognized in UEFI ("Total Memory" = sum of DIMMs in slot 2 and 4). Strangely, System Browser shows all slots as occupied. I have tried using all auto memory settings, as well as optimized settings for each set, with no luck. I pretty much eliminated the DIMMs, power supply, cards, and everything else, except motherboard. Any advice?
    Last edited by tickle1010; 10-08-2012, 05:04 PM. Reason: Layout

Re: ASRock Z77 Extreme4: only 2 DIMMs detected

Are these DIMMs listed in the compatibility list for this board? Can't tell without the model numbers. I assume Windows 8 is the 64 bit version?

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
      Are these DIMMs listed in the compatibility list for this board? Can't tell without the model numbers. I assume Windows 8 is the 64 bit version?
      Unfortunately, none of the 4 sets of memory are listed in the compatibility list for this board. The 4x8GB I use is G.Skill Sniper F3-1600C9D-16GSR. However, the fact that the symptom is the same across 4 different brand/model sets, on both auto and optimal timings, makes it pretty hard for me to believe it's memory compat issue. Since memtest passed on slot 1+3 and 2+4 separately, I think it ruled out connector problems on the memory slots.

Yes, it's Windows 8 Pro x64 RTM, which is probably irrelevant here since the symptom exists pre-OS boot, as well as in memtest.

Comment

Are you testing with Memtest86+ v:4.20 from Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool?
        Did Memtest86+ only recognize 2 memory modules when all 4 were installed?
        If your motherboard will recognize and run with 3 installed matching modules, this could indicate that some voltage settings might be too low.

What are the brand and model names for your cpu cooler and power supply?
        Have you connected the 8-pin EPS12V or two 4-pin ATX_12V connectors to your motherboard?
        I assume that your power supply has a 24-pin or 20+4 pin main power cable.
        Have you checked the web sites for each brand and model of your memory kits to see if the memory manufacturer has tested and approved any memory kits for your motherboard model?
        Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
        P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
        4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
        MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
        Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
        WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
        Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
        SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
        Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
        Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
        Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
        MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
        Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
        win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
        HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
        CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
        E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
        Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
        Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
        HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
        win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Originally posted by profJim View Post
          Are you testing with Memtest86+ v:4.20 from Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool?
          Did Memtest86+ only recognize 2 memory modules when all 4 were installed?
          If your motherboard will recognize and run with 3 installed matching modules, this could indicate that some voltage settings might be too low.

What are the brand and model names for your cpu cooler and power supply?
          Have you connected the 8-pin EPS12V or two 4-pin ATX_12V connectors to your motherboard?
          I assume that your power supply has a 24-pin or 20+4 pin main power cable.
          Have you checked the web sites for each brand and model of your memory kits to see if the memory manufacturer has tested and approved any memory kits for your motherboard model?
          First off, thanks for your pointers, they all make sense and helpful!

Yes, I'm using Memtest86+ v4.20. And yes, it only recognizes 2 out of 4, and always the ones on slot 2 and 4 (slots "DDR3_A2" and "DDR3_B2") even after I moved the DIMMs around. Here are some screenshots of UEFI:

System Browser shows all 4 slots occupied (mouseover shows correct detected DIMM info and timings on all 4):
          http://sdrv.ms/TbUzqT

However only 2 recognized on the Main screen:
          http://sdrv.ms/PjE9RN

When I installed 3, the ones recognized depends on where I put them:
          Slot 1+2+3: UEFI sees 2 and 3.
          Slot 1+2+4: UEFI sees 2 and 4.
          Haven't tried other combinations. Since I manually set the DRAM voltage as per the DIMM spec (in this G.Skill case, it's 1.50v), I think I'm fine, voltage-wise.

I have OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W, with both 20+4 pin and 8 pin connectors connected to mobo. Core i7-3770K with stock cooler. Note that the system boots to Windows, and everything seems to work properly - except that only half of the installed memory is recognized. I think this confirms that all power connections are OK. I've also ruled out any possible card/add-ons issues by only having Sony 4GB USB flash drive with Memtest86+, or Samsung 830 128GB SSD with Windows 8, as the only thing connected to the mobo (plus keyboard and mouse).

The G.Skill Sniper F3-1600C9D-16GSR website:
          G.SKILL- World leading DDR3 computer memory and SSD manufacturer -Products lists ASRock Z77 Extreme4 as compatible mobo.

However, I must admit that I have 2x2x8GB, as opposed to a true 4x8GB kit:
          G.SKILL- World leading DDR3 computer memory and SSD manufacturer -Products that also lists this mobo as compatible. The 4 DIMMs do have sequential serial numbers, though, FWIW.

The other memory set I tested is G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXL full 4x4GB kit:
          G.SKILL- World leading DDR3 computer memory and SSD manufacturer -Products, which again lists this mobo as compatible.

One incident worth noting:
          The board came with UEFI v2.00. After spending several hours investigating this, I checked ASRock website and found v2.30, which then I applied. The issue was GONE immediately after that. The board recognized all 4 DIMMs, even booted to Windows with full memory capacity available. I did final configuration of everything, put the box where I want to finally put it, turned it on, and the issue is BACK. Not sure at what point it came back, and what I did to cause it. Nothing I did after that fixed it, including resetting UEFI defaults, etc. Thinking of reflashing UEFI one more time...

Comment

When you flashed to v2.30, did you follow the exact flashing procedure specified by ASRock in their How To Update instructions?
            Which procedure did you use: Instant Flash? DOS? Windows?

Follow the procedure in the motherboard user manual for clearing the CMOS.
            When you system reboots, enter the bios and load optimized bios settings and then save settings and exit.
            Go into the bios again and make any required bios changes and write down all bios changes that you make.
            If all of your memory modules are recognized, immediately save your current bios settings as a saved bios profile!!!

It's possible that one or more of the voltage settings near the bottom of page 58 might need to be changed when using 16GB or 32GB.
            Hopefully a forum member can suggest which voltage setting values should be changed.
            I did final configuration of everything, put the box where I want to finally put it, turned it on, and the issue is BACK.
            Do you remember any of the configuration changes that you made?
            Double check that your cpu heatsink hardware is properly installed and is secure.
            Also double check that all wires, cables and hardware are fully seated.
            Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
            P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
            4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
            MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
            Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
            WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
            Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
            SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
            Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
            Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
            Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
            MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
            Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
            win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
            HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
            CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
            E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
            Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
            Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
            HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
            win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Originally posted by profJim View Post
              When you flashed to v2.30, did you follow the exact flashing procedure specified by ASRock in their How To Update instructions?
              Which procedure did you use: Instant Flash? DOS? Windows?

Follow the procedure in the motherboard user manual for clearing the CMOS.
              When you system reboots, enter the bios and load optimized bios settings and then save settings and exit.
              Go into the bios again and make any required bios changes and write down all bios changes that you make.
              If all of your memory modules are recognized, immediately save your current bios settings as a saved bios profile!!!

It's possible that one or more of the voltage settings near the bottom of page 58 might need to be changed when using 16GB or 32GB.
              Hopefully a forum member can suggest which voltage setting values should be changed.
              Do you remember any of the configuration changes that you made?
              Double check that your cpu heatsink hardware is properly installed and is secure.
              Also double check that all wires, cables and hardware are fully seated.
              Yes, I followed the exact flashing procedure by ASRock. I used Windows when upgrading to v2.30. I have just tried reverting back to v2.00 using Windows, then to v2.30 using UEFI's Internet Flash. Did not fix it this time.
              I couldn't find "load optimized BIOS settings" or anything similar. I did try Load UEFI defaults, which didn't help.

I have triple checked all physical cables, sockets, connectors, heat sink, etc. I'm thinking of disassembling and redoing the build from scratch later today.

I'm all ears for voltage setting suggestions. Thanks!

Comment

One more thing I forgot to mention: the board doesn't detect the integrated HD4000 graphics from the Core i7-3770K. In Advanced\North Bridge Configuration, Primary Graphics Adapter only shows PCI and PCI Express as the options, no Onboard like the manual shows. Connecting the monitor to the onboard HDMI, without a discrete video card, results in "D6" Dr. Debug (No console output devices are found).

Just checked for bent CPU socket pins with my DSLR + macro lens, didn't find anything suspicious. Reseated the i7 and stock cooler several times. Nothing changed.

I noticed in Device Manager, under "System devices", some entries:
                • Xeon(R) processor E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor DRAM Controller - 0150
                • Xeon(R) processor E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor PCI Express Root Port - 0151

Are these expected? Just wanted to make sure the mobo doesn't halfway detect the proc as Xeon (which might have explained the missing integrated graphics adapter).

Comment

The Xeon entries are normal, I have those on my Z77 EX4, but using an i5-3570K. Hard to imagine the UEFI would not recognize your CPU.

The onboard video thing is weird. The first time I started my board, I used the onboard graphics, using the HDMI output (which I thought would fail), and it worked fine, got into the UEFI fine, and installed Windows 7 using it. But, I had an entry for Onboard video in the UEFI, which seemed to be the default.

I've had memory that the manufacture (G.SKILL) claimed would work on a mother board, but was not in the boards list of tested memory. It would not work at all, would not boot. There are very few 8GB DIMMs listed in this boards compatible memory list, and not one of them is made by G.SKILL. IMO, the memory list is like the word of Gawd, frustrating but true. ASRock boards tend to be more forgiving about memory compatibility, but the downside of that is the board lets partially compatible memory function... to a degree, instead of flat out failing.

The manual states that slots 2 and 4 are the most compatible with OCing memory, and in general will work with memory when the other slots won't.

Since the onboard graphics won't work, which uses the boards memory since it has none of its own, unlike a graphics card, IMO that points to a memory issue. It sounds like the UEFI is smart enough to know the onboard graphics is not functioning, and does not list it. What do you find in Device Manager for the onboard graphics? I use two of these boards, and I put a graphics card in the second one the first time I started it and installed Windows. I never installed the onboard graphics driver, and I have a problem entry in Device Manager, due to the missing driver.

If the UEFI does not recognize the memory, as in the main screen, not the system brower, it doesn't work. IMO, you are not passed the memory as the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
                    Since the onboard graphics won't work, which uses the boards memory since it has none of its own, unlike a graphics card, IMO that points to a memory issue. It sounds like the UEFI is smart enough to know the onboard graphics is not functioning, and does not list it. What do you find in Device Manager for the onboard graphics? I use two of these boards, and I put a graphics card in the second one the first time I started it and installed Windows. I never installed the onboard graphics driver, and I have a problem entry in Device Manager, due to the missing driver.

If the UEFI does not recognize the memory, as in the main screen, not the system brower, it doesn't work. IMO, you are not passed the memory as the problem.
                    Yeah I agree with you that the two issues seem related. Device Manager doesn't show the onboard graphics, only my NVIDIA GTS 250.

I did more testing with 5 different memory brand/models, filling only slot 2, and slot 2+4, this time. G.Skill and OCZ, DDR-1066, 1333, 1600, 2GB, 4GB, 8GB sticks. None of them resulted in integrated graphics being available.

I understand that not all memory are compatible with all boards, but I find it hard to believe none of my 5 sets can make IGP appear, or usable beyond 2 DIMMs.

Comment

Originally posted by tickle1010 View Post
                      Yeah I agree with you that the two issues seem related. Device Manager doesn't show the onboard graphics, only my NVIDIA GTS 250.

I did more testing with 5 different memory brand/models, filling only slot 2, and slot 2+4, this time. G.Skill and OCZ, DDR-1066, 1333, 1600, 2GB, 4GB, 8GB sticks. None of them resulted in integrated graphics being available.

I understand that not all memory are compatible with all boards, but I find it hard to believe none of my 5 sets can make IGP appear, or usable beyond 2 DIMMs.
                      I just starting to have the same behavior with my Extreme 4 after re applying thermal paste to my CPU. How did you fix your problem with ram and integrated graphics

Comment

Working...
                      X