Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Z77Pro4, four short error beeps if install memory in DIMM slots DDR3_B1 or DDR3_B2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z77Pro4, four short error beeps if install memory in DIMM slots DDR3_B1 or DDR3_B2

Just rebuilt a fresh machine. Bought everything from Newegg.

i7-3770k 3.5
    ASRock Z77Pro4
    Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4gb) 1600, CML16GX3M4X1600C8
    Diablotek 775W power supply
    Nvidia GTX670 (Gigabyte)
    AData 120gb SSD

Ok, So I put everything together, and went to turn it on. Nothing happened (no fan start up, no lights, no beeps, nothing). Checked, and re-checked everything (reseated all hardware, unplugged and replugged in everything). Tried again, nothing. Started to remove memory modules in a coordinated fashion until I found that it would start-up just fine if I only had two memory sticks installed in DDR3_A1 and DDR3_A2... which is contrary to how the manual prefers 2 sticks of memory to be installed. At first I thought 2 of the memory sticks were bad, but I have interchanged them about, and as long as they occupy slot A1 and A2, they all work. As soon as I try to put another stick (or two more sticks) into slots B1 or B2 (or both), whenever I try to start up, I get 4 short beeps and an endless restart loop. I am not instaliing or uninstalling any other hardware while I am doing this.

I am aware that my memory module is not explicitly supported (the CML16GX3M4X1600C9 is on the QVL list but I have CML16GX3M4X1600C8, I wanted the slightly faster timings and thought it would not be a problem). Also, in BIOS, everything is set to auto configure and the computer happily recognizes the two sticks in slots A1 and A2. Also, the memory is quad-channel, but it says it supports dual channel modes as well...

EDIT: I meant to mention, when I got it to post the first time, I went into the bios and flashed the bios to 1.40 from a USB stick. Then installed Windows 7 Ultimate. I am currently on that machine right now so everything works except I can't install all 16gb!

EDIT 2*: Ok, so I got some games installed to otherwise play around with since the system "works." I loaded up ArmAII for some DayZ and the graphics were worse than my old Radeon HD5850 I upgraded from (I have an nvidia gtx670 now...). I then loaded up some sleeping dogs and did their "video benchmark" where I got all "normal"/"average" settings and any high definition/processing effects turned off... I grew more suspicious and loaded up NovaBench to run a benchmark compared to my old system... This machine did about 50 points worse compared to my mid level 3 year old system... Also I noted when I start NovaBench, it says that my graphics driver is: IntelHD4000, the onboard graphics chip... It won't even recognize the GTX670. I opened up PCWizard2012 (CPUID software) and when it is initializing and examining my hardware, it says: "Hardware detection in progress: Graphics Card" and then my screen goes red and flashes a bunch then is solid red. If I unplug my HDMI cable and plug it back in, the red goes away and it is normal again. PCWizard does identify the Nvidia gtx670 and will display some information about it, but if I try to do any benchmarking tests (cuda cores etc.) It does not run and I get a score of 0.

If I boot up and go into BIOS and look at the hardware, it identifies the pci3.0 slot and that there is an nvidia device in it. I should also note my monitor is plugged in via hdmi cable to the graphics card, not the motherboard. In bios, I set the pci express as the default video device, and I have even disabled the intellHD4000 in windows in device manager, I have revo uninstalled and reinstalled drivers, windows is fully up to date, etc. etc.

I have also tried removing the graphics card and trying to run the memory modules in different configurations (just in case, in some weird way the graphics card was messing with the B slots... a looooong stretch but **** if I know at this point) and anything other than having memory in DIMM slots A1 and A2 throw the 4 beep codes with or without the video card installed.

Anyone have any ideas? Am I missing something simple here or are my B1 and B2 slots busted (or my motherboard as a whole with the graphics problems... or is that the card?) ... is the memory incompatible? Please let me know if I need to provide additional information.

Thank you!

Quick note, I thought for a bit I got had where in the manual it says the pci express 3.0 will function as a 2.0 if the processor is a sandy bridge, if it is ivy bridge it will function as 3.0... The i7-3770k is an ivy bridge so that should not be a problem...
    Last edited by josh8266; 08-25-2012, 10:09 PM.

Re: Z77Pro4, four short error beeps if install memory in DIMM slots DDR3_B1 or DDR3_B2

aslong as your ram volts are to the motherboards rating z77 usually 1.5v should be fine , 1.65 are for the new x boards and aslo quad channel , so i think your pushing the board to much especially with unlocked cpu's matching the ram to motherboard voltage is a must

Comment

Re: Z77Pro4, four short error beeps if install memory in DIMM slots DDR3_B1 or DDR3_B2

BIOS says DRAM voltage is 1.500V, and their clocked at 1333mhz which is whatever... I'd really like to just get all 4 sticks installed. I don't understand why I can use 2 sticks but not 4, and more importantly why ANY memory stick in ANY configuration in the B1 or B2 slots throws a 4 short beep error mb code.

I am also having issues with my graphics card that I will edit into my first post... I am thinking more and more this is the board...

Comment

I am out of ideas and leaning more and more to the board being bummed.

I am going to return the board and buy a different board. Thank God for awesome Newegg customer service. Nothing personal ASRock! I am very pleased with the board otherwise (BIOS are great IMO, and this board is a real value!), but I think I got the one in the bunch that doesn't work all the way... or I messed something up during install... or something is incompatible , who knows at this point, but I am going to try a different board (Asus) I will update this post if I come across the same problem or similar problems with the different board...

Thanks.

Comment

yeah if you've tested the ram and the ram is ok i guess you got a bad egg rma that sob

Comment

Working...
          X