PC froze; AXTU, Z68 X3 G3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC froze; AXTU, Z68 X3 G3

Greetings Tweaktown, have I a story for you!

I just had my Motherboard replaced from the store I bought it from, current system status and repairs are posted below. When I booted the system into the OS, AXTU and startup programs auto ran as usual. I loaded the following and left them as stated. Chrome was at a no connect page due to lack of a connection. Window Explorer was open on my Computer. Steam was loaded but at a no connection window. Msi afterburner was loaded monitoring temperatures. Avast was loaded with shields on. Comodo firewall was running with me manually allowing svchost.exe the connection needed to my ISP and router. All other connection requests were being denied by me as there was no connection at the time. This was done via the pop up window used by the firewall. The system froze after about 2 minutes into the OS while I had AXTU as the main window looking at my temperatures. I could move the mouse pointer for a few seconds after the GUI freeze but I couldn't close or highlight any of the programs open. I moved my mouse to the window start button then it froze. There was about 5-10 seconds between the GUI freeze and the mouse/keyboard freeze. I couldn't open Task manager during this time as it was the first thing I tried to open when the GUI froze via crtl+alt+delete and GUI via windows by right clicking on the bottom right button next to the time. I let the system sit for a few seconds before I tried to restart it. I hit the restart button, booted back up and closed AXTU ASAP. I uninstalled AXTU ver:0.1.218, which required bios 2.10 and installed the CD version that comes with the Motherboard. The rest of my Asrock software is up to date except for a 2011 version of AXTU from the CD and bios 1.30 which I have yet to update. The system ran fine after this for an 10 minutes, I logged into my IM programs, browsed the web for a bit. I monitored AXTU to compare the new Motherboard installation temperatures to my old ones. I noticed an increase in new temps so I shutdown and inspected the system. I noticed the heat sink was not installed correctly but I didn't attempt to fix anything.

Due my previous experience with a PC locking up I have always had to use the power button held down for a few seconds to force a restart. This time however the reset button worked immediately. This system never froze before this repair. The issues following are before the repair on the old motherboard. I had 1 Bsod due to the bios, after flashing to 2.20 not being configured for my SDD which was fixed by me and never happened again. I have had 1 GPU driver crash which was recovered and never had a Bsod. My SLI stopped working in June. The cards worked separately but would artifact in SLI mode. I didn't not inspect or troubleshoot this issue as one GPU fan had died shortly before so was being RMA'ed anyways.

Was this freeze due to AXTU requiring a bios version I do not have installed?

Could this freeze be due the long following issue posted below? Please read the following as it will provide details regarding the store that assembled this system and that of the local store my PC is currently at for repairs. You wanted details so you got'em!

I5 2500k 3.3ghz
    ASrock z68 extreme 3 gen 3 (p1.30 bios)
    G.skill 4gig x2 f3-12800cl8d-8gbxm
    MSI 560ti Twin Frozer II OC (single) driver 301.42
    crucial M4 SSD (OS, Drivers, Main Programs)
    wd caviar blue 640g (Date, Secondary Programs and Games)
    Hyper 212 Evo cooler w/ 120 cooler masters 120 blade master fan
    haf-x case with standard fans 4x200m (front, top, rear and side panel) 1x 140mm rear
    samsug hdtv t240hd dvi connection
    logitech mx518 mouse, k120 keyboard (both USB)
    logitech comfort headset usb
    LG dvd writer
    cosair 850tx-m PSU
    Win 7 Premium 64bit (up to date as of July 25, 2012)
    All settings are at stock except the ram is set to its states settings as the Auto settings were wrong.

I took the system down to a store a friend from High-school works at. It is not the same store I bought the PC from as this one is local staffed by friends and the other is a hour drive to another city I only have time for on Saturdays. There is a pin on the base of the heat sink that fits into a groove on the X-bracket to lock it into place for 3 different cpu types. This pin is nowhere near the X-bracket. The heat sink is not even covering the whole CPU as I can see it without removing anything, it is too far towards the from of the case and down which causes the fan to touch my ram in slot 2. This was not the case when installed the first time. The 4 screw mounts for the X-bracket are not even set to the 1155 position with only 1 in this position with 2 at the 1366 and 1 at 755 socket. They obviously just made it fit and didn't even bother reading the manual with pictures clearly shows how to mount with the pin in the groove and the 3 socket positions for the screws. The middle thumb-screw, which fits into the X-bracket and is screwed into a hole at the center of the heat sink is nowhere this hole, the whole bracket is out of position to high on the heat sink base. This thumb-screw hold the X-bracket on the heat sink base. So right now the heat sink is only being held on by the tension of the X-bracket so it could slip at any time. They didn't even install the fan correctly as they screwed the screws in from the fan to the bracket instead of the bracket to the fan. There are rubber pads that are meant to cover the screw heads which also are the contact surface with the heat sink instead of the plastic brackets and screw-heads. They screwed through the rubber, which are square without any holes at all. So the sharp end of the screws make contact on the heat sink. Again the first time they installed the fan it was done correctly with the pads covering the heads and making contact with the heat sink.

Let me tell you about some of the background with this system and the horrible tech service it has received from the store I bought it from. I am not an amateur when it comes to PCs but I am not confident in my abilities to install everything by myself. Software I can troubleshoot but I not experiences in Hardware beyond stress testing and ram tests for errorsI have never installed a CPU, motherboard or Heat sink (backplate, stand-offs, thermal paste application, or seating) When I see something wrong I can recognize it and will reference manuals to confirm something is not installed correctly. I ordered this system back on Nov 22 2011, picked it up Dec 13 2011. Everything worked fine for about 6 months until the Hyper 212 evo fan died. I ordered a replacement fan and proceed to install the new fan. I used a wood table to do my work with the system on its side for easier access, view and it made sense to me. I removed my ram, as it blocks easy removal of the fan due to the plastic mounting brackets and how close the fan is to the ram. I started to remove the fan when the heat sink rotated about 5 degrees just from the pressure of lifting the bracket clips, 1 side, as per the manual of the Hyper 212 evo. I apply more pressure turning a doorknob to give you an idea how little pressure I used. I stopped right there and took the system to a local computer store staffed by friends I went to High-school with, very trustworthy in my opinion. The Tech there, Curtis, took my system and proceed to remove the heat sink for cleaning, reapplication of paste and reseating. The heat sink was not secure since it moved so easily and the middle thumb-screw was not tight when the heat sink was installed. Once the heat sink was removed there was noticeable thermal damage on the CPU retention bracket, discoloration on several spots similar in color to a rainbow effect from oil or if anyone has ever burnt a stainless steel knife. I recognized this damage as a previous system, from the same store, had this color effect on a GPU that overheated and ran well over 100C in demanding games, shogun 2. Curtis removed the CPU to check for any more damage. The CPU socket ended up having 2 bent pins. The heat sink and CPU had a lot of paste which required about 10 double tips Q-tips to remove when he cleaned it. There was more paste along the edges of both parts, about 2-5mm thick with about 1mm of paste in the middle.

I sent the system in for repairs having a 1 year warranty with the store. The manager at this store first told me physical damage was not covered but I complained that the damage was cause by a bad installation of the heat sink, it should not move that easy. He also said the thermal damage wasn't damage, it is the way Asrock manufactured the board. I have never seen this discoloration on the numerous systems friends helped me assemble over the years, even on system that did overheat and shutdown, so I called his bluff. He blamed Curtis for the bent pins saying it is impossible for a heat sink sliding over the socket to bend the socket pins yet said removing the heat sink and CPU caused the damage. So the pins are invincible with the retention bracket but is fragile when the heat sink and cpu are removed by a trained profession of 10 years. Apparently installing the heat sink and cpu, which apply pressure to the area via the bracket and the heat sink being screwed in wouldn't cause any damage at all.

They replaced the Motherboard free of charge and re-installed the heat sink. I got the system back today and inspected it after the above. I took the system down to the same store Curtis works at as by now I believed know what they were doing compared to the other store. The heat sink was installed completely wrong. There is a pin on the base of the heat sink that fits into a groove on the X-bracket to lock it into place for 3 different cpu types. This pin is nowhere near the X-bracket. The heat sink is not even covering the whole CPU as I can see it without removing anything, it is too far towards the from of the case and down which causes the fan to touch my ram in slot 2. This was not the case when installed the first time. The 4 screw mounts for the X-bracket are not even set to the 1155 position with only 1 in this position with 2 at the 1366 and 1 at 755 socket. They obviously just made it fit and didn't even bother reading the manual with pictures clearly shows how to mount with the pin in the groove and the 3 socket positions for the screws. The middle thumb-screw, which fits into the X-bracket and is screwed into a hole at the center of the heat sink is nowhere this hole, the whole bracket is out of position to high on the heat sink base. This thumb-screw hold the X-bracket on the heat sink base. So right now the heat sink is only being held on by the tension of the X-bracket so it could slip at any time. They didn't even install the fan correctly as they screwed the screws in from the fan to the bracket instead of the bracket to the fan. There are rubber pads that are meant to cover the screw heads which also are the contact surface with the heat sink instead of the plastic brackets and screw-heads. They screwed through the rubber, which are square without any holes at all. So the sharp end of the screws make contact on the heat sink. Again the first time they installed the fan it was done correctly with the pads covering the heads and making contact with the heat sink.

I complained about their horrible work on their forums citing a summary of the above and problems I had with a previous system from them that froze due to a screw being trapped behind the motherboard during installation. This was later found and removed fixing the hard-lock issue. They locked the thread, denied my side of the story then blatantly lied about everything. Its my fault or Curtis for the pins. The thermal damage was real damage all of a sudden not a the way it was manufactured. Yet I have higher temperatures now then before. Taking the fan off without removing the heat sink is not advisable. Yet you have to even get access to 2 of the 4 X-bracket screws, I guess magic fairies remove the heat sink. He then offered to do the work himself to fix my problems. I wasn't about to have this hack touch my system considering he is either lying or know less than I do about installing these parts. Sorry for the rant but I wanted to paint a clear picture showing the lack of knowledge and integrity this staff has shown. It will hopefully show what a hack job the assembly of this system is currently and possible has been before.

Due to all these issues I thought it best to detail as much as possible if AXTU/bios is not the cause. If so this saves me from later tell this story. If not at least people will get a good laugh out of it.

Your truly
    Some Angry Dude
    Bogart
    Last edited by Bogart; 08-19-2012, 04:35 AM.
Working...
X