ASRock Z77 Extreme4 XMP question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock Z77 Extreme4 XMP question.

I've been doing a lot of reading online about using "XMP" to essentially overclock your memory so that it can perform at the specs advertised. I just recently built my first computer and purchased G. Skill 2x4GB 2133Hz RAM for the mobo. When checking the bios to see RAM speed, I'm only getting 1600Hz and I don't know if it is a compatability issue or not. I am currently away from this computer and can't update BIOS, but I'm not sure how to go about increasing the speed (once I have the computer in front of me) and if I need to use XMP or not. If so, how do I do that?

Much appreciated

Re: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 XMP question.

Your MB does support 2133 and you have to enable XMP in BIOS and set the speed to 2133 under XMP profile. The option can be found under OC tweaker tab in BIOS
    Speed is the limit

Comment

Originally posted by Babdi View Post
      Your MB does support 2133 and you have to enable XMP in BIOS and set the speed to 2133 under XMP profile. The option can be found under OC tweaker tab in BIOS
      I finally figured it out. Changed the RAM speed to 2133 and saved changes on exit. My computer tried to boot three times before I could go back to bios and change it back. Any reason why it's doing this? Should I manually set the voltage? As you can see in link, this RAM is set for 1.65V...

Comment

It is trying set to default values. If your memory is rated at 1.65V V then set to 1.65 V
        Speed is the limit

Comment

Originally posted by Babdi View Post
          It is trying set to default values. If your memory is rated at 1.65V V then set to 1.65 V
          Still won't boot when frequency is changed (2133) and voltage is changed (1.65V) from "AUTO"

Comment

The maximum recommended memory voltage for Ivy Bridge systems, according to Intel, is 1.5V. Intel's specs are usually conservative, but I would be careful with anything above 1.5V. It does seem that there is higher voltage memory in the Memory Support List, so it seems that will be Ok.

If the memory you are using is the G.SKILL 2133 GBSR model listed in your system specs, that memory is not listed on your boards Memory Support List. Newer Intel boards can be very picky about the memory they use, and if the memory is not listed in that list, it may not work, even if it is stated by the manufacture to work on a certain system. That is likely why you are getting the multiple boots, that are failing actually.

But, the G.SKILL 1866 GBSR is in the Memory Support List. So you ought to be able to use it at least at that frequency. If it works at 1600 and 1.65V, then it seems the voltage is fine. Do not increase it above that, IMO.

I would suggest not using the XMP settings at first, and manually set the memory speed to 1866. The memory timings are also important, I would start with 11 11 11 30, and if that works you can go from there, reducing it to 9 9 9 24 at best.

The latest UEFI/BIOS is 2.00. The update feature in the UEFI works very easily, and you should update to that version if you don't have it now.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
              The maximum recommended memory voltage for Ivy Bridge systems, according to Intel, is 1.5V. Intel's specs are usually conservative, but I would be careful with anything above 1.5V. It does seem that there is higher voltage memory in the Memory Support List, so it seems that will be Ok.

If the memory you are using is the G.SKILL 2133 GBSR model listed in your system specs, that memory is not listed on your boards Memory Support List. Newer Intel boards can be very picky about the memory they use, and if the memory is not listed in that list, it may not work, even if it is stated by the manufacture to work on a certain system. That is likely why you are getting the multiple boots, that are failing actually.

But, the G.SKILL 1866 GBSR is in the Memory Support List. So you ought to be able to use it at least at that frequency. If it works at 1600 and 1.65V, then it seems the voltage is fine. Do not increase it above that, IMO.

I would suggest not using the XMP settings at first, and manually set the memory speed to 1866. The memory timings are also important, I would start with 11 11 11 30, and if that works you can go from there, reducing it to 9 9 9 24 at best.

The latest UEFI/BIOS is 2.00. The update feature in the UEFI works very easily, and you should update to that version if you don't have it now.
              Hmm. The timings that are advertised for this card are 9-11-10-28 @ 2133mhz and 1.65V. It runs automatically at 1600mhz and 1.65V with 11-11-11-30 I believe. I have been shooting emails back and forth with ASRock and they believe it should work. I've tried manually setting the frequency to 2133 while also taking the voltage off of AUTO and setting it to 1.65V with no success and I've tried the XMP profile (which is exactly how my RAM is advertised - 2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65V) with no success. I suppose I should try 1866, but I really want the 2133! Is there any chance I can get this speed if I lower the voltage? I read a post online about someone taking his voltage down and still maintaining the advertised speed... Thanks for all the help, everyone!

Comment

So, here is an update. I have also been working with G.Skill tech support and they asked me to manually put in 9-10-9-28 at 1866mhz. After doing this successfully, I jumped the speed to 2000 and also found success. As soon as I jumped up to 2133 though, boot failure. I've tried one stick at a time with no success of getting the 2133mhz that I want :(

Comment

That G.SKILL GBSR memory at 2133 is not listed in the memory support list, so it seems ASRock knows it won't work. You can use 1.65V with Ivy Bridge CPUs, but that is as high as I would ever go. You could try backing off on the memory timings when at 2133, like 11 11 11 30, or even looser, just to see if it will boot.

I've had problems getting past 2000 with my memory too, although it is not rated for those speeds.

Comment

you bought the wrong ram go by what the motherboard recommends 1.5v

Comment

hi,

I got about the same issue with G.Skill F3-17000CL11Q-16GBXL memory..............G.Skill F3-17000CL11Q-16GBXL memory modules at 2133 Mhz ( or higher ??) - GSKILL TECH FORUM
                      Last saturday i updated my bios to "beta bios L2.01 8/23/2012 Support Windows 8" and booted 2133 mhz memory,mainly basic bios settings without any problem
                      ASRock > Products > Z77 Extreme4

So diggles maybe you can try and flash your mobo to L2.01 and see if that helps you....if not reflash to 2.00 , no harm done
                      If it helps 'ill be glad to hear it.

Greetz TC :D

Comment

Working...
                      X