Asrock z77 extreme 4 gen 3 wont post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asrock z77 extreme 4 gen 3 wont post

so, im not entirely sure what has gone wrong here. Im new to building computers from scratch, but ive taken several apart and put them back together. So, i know im putting everything in correctly. However, When i turn on the PSU, the motherboard instantly tries to turn on, at which DR. Debug goes through several numbers.... stopping on either 66, 62, or 69. its Kinda random. The manual says that the code means that the bridges arent initializing.... and i really would just love to not have a defective motherboard, because i have been waiting and saving money for months for this =.= so, does anyone have any ideas whats wrong?

my CPU is the intel i5-3750k, my MOBO is z77 extreme 4 gen 3. my PSU is a 500W so i obviously have the power. My RAM is Gskill sniper, 8GB 1600MHz. the module # is
    F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR2 which is supported. so... im at a loss

Re: Asrock z77 extreme 4 gen 3 wont post

What is this extreme4 Gen3 combined with Z77? I only see a Z68 Extreme4 Gen 3 or a Z77 Extreme4 listed on their website (I have the later).

First off, did you try an out of the case post? If not, do that. All you need is the motherboard, CPU, RAM and PSU. Connect monitor to onboard video output of your choice. Power up PSU and pretty the power button on the MB.

But, I would like to clarify which board you acutally have. If you do have the Z77 Extreme4, you should be OK, but if you have the Z68 Extreme4 Gen3, you may have a problem as that mother board doesn't support Ivy Bridge until Bios V 2.10. If that is the case, you have a couple options other than returning the board. Contact ASRock so they can send you out a new bios chip that will support your ivy bridge processor, or you can install a sandy bridge processor to boot and update the bios.

The Z77 Extreme 4 supports Ivy bridge natively with the very first bios.

You might add extactly how you have the memory configured as well. I'm guessing it's 2 4GB sticks, if so then they should be installed in the 2nd and 4th slots from the CPU socket.
    Rod

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ASUS Sabertooth Z77
    i7-2600k i7-2600k
    G-Skill 16GB Ripjaw X DDR3 1866 G-Skill 16GB Sniper DDR3 1866
    Cooler Master 692 II Advanced USB 3.0 Cooler Master 692 II Advanced USB 2.0
    EVGA GTX670FTW Sig2 EVGA 2XGTX560Ti FPB SLI
    Corsair HX850 Silver Plus Cooler Master Silent Pro 850
    Crucial M4 128GB SSD Samsung 830 128GB SSD

Comment

okay, so, the gen 3 thing was kinda a typo. it supports ivy bridge though. And, ive tried with pretty much only the CPU, RAM, MOBO. nothing shows up on the screen, it doesnt even activate the screen. im not entirely sure WHAT is going on. I dont even hit the on switch. as soon as i flip the switch on the PSU, it decides its going to turn itself on. then it goes through several debug codes, usually stopping somewhere in the 60s, or occaisionally 90s, before it just turns off. the LEDs on the motherboard are still on, but, it wont turn on, even when i hit the power button. So, something is wrong, i just dont know what. and i really hope it its just me being stupid, because if i have to return something, i know its going to take weeks

also, the memory is exactly as you described. slots a2 and b2, both 4GB
      Last edited by tonykuroi; 07-03-2012, 02:46 PM.

Comment

OK, just to make sure there are no front panel I/O wires crossed, remove those from the motherboard.

Which video output are you trying to use on the motherboard? What monitor do you have?

The out of case post is great because it removes any doubt that there is a short to the case by something over looked, just place the motherboard on a cardboard box.

The bare basics would be as I previsouly described, installing only one memory chip in the 2nd slot from the CPU. Also, read your manual on the procedure for clearing the cmos, using the button below the video outputs.

I'm just trying to get a place to start from, I know you said you've tried everything, and if that's the case, then you have no choice but to return the board. I'm just recommending what 'I' would do for starters.

There is the possibility of bent pins in the CPU socket, did you happen to notice those before installing the CPU? Were you extremely careful when setting the CPU in to the socket?
        Rod

i7-2600k i7-2600k

Comment

Also, when you say it turns itself on, does the CPU cooling fan also come on?
          Rod

i7-2600k i7-2600k

Comment

yes. it stutters once, then whirs to life.

also, i didnt SEE any bent pins. im using a DSUB/VGA monitor (the blue port) its an HP flat screen. Ive tried using only one RAM stick, in each of the slots. there should be no wires crossed because all i have attatched is the power cables, and the CPU/CPU fan

well, i tool it out of the case, and now, it wont even turn on. I dont know. I was extremely careful with it, and handled it no differently than ive handled several other motherboards before. If it starts powering up or something, ill update again. but, i dont know. Im convinced the board is defective. and to think the day started so well

SO, nevermind all of that. with some tinkering i learned it IS my case causing a short. this might be bad manufacturing on the MOBO, or on my case, im not entirely sure how im going to solve this, but, im glad the mobo works. Case closed
            Last edited by tonykuroi; 07-03-2012, 03:31 PM. Reason: resolved

Comment

So the MB boots ok now out of the case? Where did you determine the case to MB contact to be an issue? What case?
              Rod

i7-2600k i7-2600k

Comment

Working...
              X