Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer will not start (M3A770DE)

Hello everyone,

I am currently in need of some help and would appreciate it if anyone could help .

BUILD:
    MB - ASRock M3A770DE
    CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black 3.7 GHz Quad Core
    PSU - Diablotek DA Series 500W ATX PSDA500
    RAM - G.Skill Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1333
    Graphics - Zotac ZT-40503-10L GeForce GTS 450
    HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 1 TB
    Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus

Problem:
    The day before yesterday my computer had overheated and shut itself off(first time), or that is what I am thinking. When it shut off it was running at 52C/127F and at the time I was playing Portal 2 at Very High(suggested settings) for about 20 minutes (Before this all I had done was download Portal 2). This was not normal and it had me worried because it has never ran that high before. I waited about an hour and opened my case and took out my cooler, cleaned the heatsink off of both the CPU and Cooler, then reapplied the heatsink. I put everything back the way it was and turned the computer back on. Everything was running fine and my computer was running a lot cooler than it ever had (I am pretty sure that I had applied heatsink incorrectly when I first built the comp). After about five hours of light use, no games just some internet usage, the comp shut itself off again (Was running at 30C/87F) I had gone to bed and decided to deal with it in the morning.

I woke up the next day and opened the case and everything seemed fine. I pressed the power button and the fans and lights came on at a slower rate than usual and I didn't get a post. I turned it off and tried it again and it wouldn't turn on but the lights flashed and the fans span for about half a second. When I switch my PSU to 230V everything turns on and runs normally but I still don't get a post. However back at 115V nothing happens except for the quick light flash and fan spin. I am at a loss of what to do. This isn't the first time I have had problems either, when I first built this comp I had to get a replacement mobo because the one I had received was unresponsive.

I contacted ASRock Technical Support 2 days ago and have yet to hear back.

Thank you for reading and I hope some of you can help, thank you very much!

*UPDATE*
    When I have everything plugged in to the computer (Keyboard, Headphones, Ethernet, VGA cable) the computer turns on. However, all of the fans run at a very slow rate and I still do not get a post.
    Last edited by Jake.B; 05-11-2012, 05:06 PM. Reason: Update

Re: Computer will not start (M3A770DE)

Have you tried running your build with the least amount of components? if you have not, I would try unplugging all your case fans, extra HDD's, optical drives and even the graphics card if you have onboard graphics.

At first look, it sounds like a bad PSU. If there was a problem with the main board, specifically the main 24pin connector, I would think the fans would run normal but the computer would not post.

Do you have a multimeter you can test the voltage and such?

Comment

I received an E-mail from ASRock giving me steps to clear my CMOS and to troubleshoot the main board which included what you suggested. Neither one of them worked and I was told to send in an RMA. However I put everything back and now my fans won't even go. Perhaps it is both the Mobo and PSU that went? I find it strange seeing as I have only been running this system for only 4 months. I am planning on testing my PSU just to be safe but I will be sending in the RMA asap.

Comment

That would be strange. Its not very often you see two components fail at the same time. Though if it was a power surge from the PSU, it could have fried both.

This just goes to show you should ALWAYS have a backup PSU and mobo :-P

Also, might I suggest investing in a better PSU. Your wattage is fine for what your running, however from the quick search that I did, Diablotek does not have a good track record. In my opinion, the PSU is one place you should not skimp on. Most of the time, your PSU will outlast the rest of your system.

Comment

I was thinking of getting a new PSU from what I heard of Diablotek. Supposedly the customer service isn't the greatest. I was thinking of getting the Cooler Master GX 450W to replace it, do you have any recommendations? My RMA went through for my mobo as well so I will opt for that just to be on the safe side. Thanks again for the help! :)

Comment

CM is certainly at the top of the list for quality PSU manufacturers. Being Bronze certified and sub $50, I think its a good buy!

Comment

Working...
            X