Activating RAID AFTER installing Windows, Z68 Pro3-M

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Activating RAID AFTER installing Windows, Z68 Pro3-M

Reading the manual about RAID on this motherboard you are supposed to install RAID drivers before (at the same time) installing Windows 7. But I have spent many days configuring my system, so re-install is NOT an option.

I will try to "update" the drivers for the SATA controller to the ones for the RAID controller. After installing the RAID controller I'll restart the PC and activate RAID in BIOS. It's important to get this right the first time - if I use the wrong driver I will not be able to start my PC, regardless of SATA-mode setting in BIOS.

But witch driver should I choose?
    - Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller
    - Intel(R) Mobile Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller
    - Intel(R) ICH7MDH SATA RAID Controller
    - Intel(R) ICH7R/DH SATA RAID Controller

Anyone out there with RAID activated on this MB with 64-bit Windows 7? Please tell me the name of your RAID driver. Thanks in advance!

Re: Activating RAID AFTER installing Windows, Z68 Pro3-M

Here is how you can switch between Raid, AHCI, IDE modes after win7 is installed.

In Win7 or Vista, all you have to do is change the following in the registry (If using Intel ports).

Enable switching between all IDE/AHCI/RAID modes by changing "Start" Values in these keys to 0 (Win 7 / Vista ONLY)
    Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci\Start
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Pciide\Start  
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStor[B][COLOR="#0000FF"][SIZE=3]V[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]\Start
    If windows is installed onto a single drive and you want to switch to raid0 you would need to back up all your data using a disk imaging software. Then after the array is created you will then have to re-image the data back onto the array.

Ideally If you want your Windows install on a raid array you should do it from the beginning. I know you said it is not a option but it may have to be a option.

Win7 HAS the drivers built into it to recognize the raid array while installing. You do not need to provide any drivers during the install, you only need to install the IRST drivers after win7 is installed.

You have listed ICH7 which is VERY VERY VERY old. Your motherboard has ICh10 chip set. Here are the latest drivers to use http://downloadmirror.intel.com/2098...1.1.0.1006.exe
    Main Rig
    Gigabyte z87x-OC
    Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
    G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
    Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
    Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
    HiS ATI HD 6950
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
    Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
    Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
    Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
    Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
    EK Supremacy Cpu Block
    Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
    Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Comment

Hey, i just spent around 4 or 5 days non stop trying to change my system from being installed on a single 240gb ssd to raid 0 on 2 ssds totaling around 480gps, now i didnt want to start from scartch (reinstalling windows, programs, etc) so initially i had windows 7 ultimate 64 bit installed with native ide on 1 ssd, now the problem was that i ran out of that 240gb, so i read into it that instead of buying a ssd thats 480gps it would be more beneficial to buy the same ssd and turn it on raid 0, performance boost and cheaper, so i brought another one, backedup the ssd drive into an image on another hdd, setup the raid array, recovered the image onto the new raid array, but from there on i had problems, anyway, after researching and going through 100s of pages on the new about reg tweaks, raid setups, windows settups, installing programs and so on, since everywhere i read each guide still had so much stuff left out, i wrote out the perfect guide on it, so that i know exactly whats what so i dont get stuck again, anyway, i thought its only right that i share this knowledge to the world to save people time and know how to go about this, so here is the guide, just a tip, read every single thing to educate yourself the most and know exactly what is what:

first of all disconnect all sata ports, connect the drive that we will backup, and the drive that we will backup to, to port 4, 5, because we will later enable ports 0, 1, 2, 3, 6, 7 to raid and if the drives were connected those ports, windows wouldve rebooted on "windows starting", by default with this system raid is disabled, if it isnt disable it then start the pc, keep pressing del to get into the bios, go to integrated peripherals, go to onchip sata controller, enable, onchip sata type, native ide, onchip sata3.0 support, enable, onboard gsata/ide ctrl, enable, onboard sata/ide ctrl mode, ide, press f10, press enter, reboot to windows, go to start, in the search box type regedit, press enter, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\, for the following list, click on the folder of the same name from the list, then within the folder on the right, double click on start and change the paremeter to the information from the list:
      atapi Start = 3 (THIS IS IDE, HAVE IT ON 3 SINCE 3 MEANS OFF)
      iaStor = 3 (THIS IS INTEL RAID, HAVE IT ON 3 SINCE 3 MEANS OFF)
      iastorV Start = 0 (THIS IS WINDOWS RAID, HAVE IT ON 0 SINCE 0 MEANS ON)
      intelide Start = 3 (THIS IS IDE, HAVE IT ON 3 SINCE 3 MEANS OFF)
      msahci Start = 3 (THIS IS AHCI, HAVE IT ON 3 SINCE 3 MEANS OFF)
      pciide = 3 (THIS IS IDE, HAVE IT ON 3 SINCE 3 MEANS OFF)
      once done go to file, exit, shut down the pc without force rebooting, so the software raid is now manually configured, installed and all ports will read the drives if set to raid, reboot, keep pressing del to get into the bios, go to integrated peripherals, onchip sata, raid (THIS ENABLES RAID ON PORTS 0, 1, 2, 3, BUT WINDOWS WONT BOOT WITHOUT THE NEXT CONFIGURATIONs SO DO IT TOO), onchip sata port4/5 type, sata as sata, (THIS ENABLES RAID ON PORTS 4, 5), onchip sata raid5 support, disable (THIS IS NECESSARY OTHERWISE WINDOWS WONT BOOT), onboard sata/ide ctrl mode, raid/ide, (THIS ENABLES RAID ON PORTS 6 AND 7, AND MAKES THE ONCHIP SATA BOOT UP, IT IS VERY NECESARY WE ENABLE THIS RAID, BECAUSE IF WE DONT TURN THIS ON THEN PLUG THE SATA CABLE INTO PORT 0, 1, 2, 3 WINDOWS WILL REBOOT, BUT WITH THE ONBOARD SATA/IDE CTRL MODE ON RAID/IDE, YOU CAN CONNECT IT TO PORTS 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 AND WINDOWS WILL BOOT UP, now that the raid is setup through software and hardware you wont get errors like say you connect cd dvd drive to a raid configured port, that drive will encounter errors like when installing windows you will get an error saying: "a required cd dvd drive device driver is missing..." or when your recovering a backup using acronis "failed to read from sector 0 of hard disk 1", and other hard drives wont even be viewable), press f10, press enter, reboot to windows, once rebooted into windows, at the bottom right you can see a little green dot spinning, this is windows installing drivers for the raid controllers, once its done it will ask you to restart, so click on restart now, once back in windows, give it 5 minutes to see if windows will install more drivers automatically, if not turn of the pc, disconnect all the sata cables from the ports, and connect the drive we are going to back up to the blue port 0, the new ssd drive to port 1, the drive we are going to back up to to port 2 and a cd dvd drive to port 3, once again very necessary that we connect to the blue port as its sata 3 which means its 6gps rather then the white port which is sata 2 3gps, once done, turn the pc on, again check if windows installs drivers, if it does and asks you to reboot, do so, repeat until it doesnt install any more, once thats done, go to start > all programs > acronis > acronis true image home > acronis true image home, back up system, at the top right click on multiple systems selected, then at further top right, click on click on switch to disk mode, check the source drive, in destination select the destination drive you want to write to, in the backup scheme, click on the blue hyperlink, in the backup method select full, at the bottom left check save the settings as default, click on the performance tab, in compression level click and drag to none, click on ok, click on backup now at the bottom right, this may take an hour or more, once done, click on the backup and recovery tab at the top, click on create bootable media, click on next, check everything, click on next twice, select your disc writer, click on next, put a compact disc into your disc writer, click on proceed, click on ok when done, make a note of the name, drive letter, model number, data size, of the source drive and the destination drive, close the program and shut down the pc, start the pc, now there will be a boot bios screen, then raid setup utility, on that screen, and only then (dont tap as it wont work) ctrl + f, press 2 to enter ld view / ld define menu, press ctrl + c, to scroll through the selection press up or down, to change the parameter space, change raid mode to raid 0, for stripe block, the higher the number the faster performance for larger files, for example video games, videos, and so on, whilst smaller the number is for smaller files like text files, word and so on, but since im a media person, video games, media, the best would be larger for me so choose 128 kb, now go down to the drive selection, press space to change the parameter to y, change to y to the drives you want in the array, press ctrl + y to save settings, then again, and change the name to programs, press enter, press ctrl + y again to erase the master boot record of those disks, press any key to use maximum capacity of the array, now you are done and can press esc to exit the setup, press esc then y to reboot, now to restore the image to the new hdd, disconnect all usb drives expect the mouse and keyboard, boot the pc and keep pressing 12 to enter boot menu, insert the compact disc in the disc writer, select cdrom, press enter, select acronis true image home, press enter, in recover click on my disks, navigate to the recovery file, click on next, make sure recover whole disks and partitions are checked, click on next, check everything, check the drive we are going to recover to (the raid array), click on next, click on proceed, the programs drive should have increase the capacity to max and the active partition should be the system reserved one, check restart the computer when recovery is completed, once done and back in windows, eject the disk, windows may install drivers again, once its done it will ask you to restart, so click on restart now, once back in windows, give it 5 minutes to see if windows will install more drivers automatically, if not turn off the pc, connect the rest of the drives to the sata ports, now turn on the pc and keep pressing del to enter the bios, advanced bios features, hard disk boot priority, change the new raid array to the top, press f10, press y, press enter to reboot, now that your back in windows, windows may install drivers again, once its done it will ask you to restart, so click on restart now, once back in windows, give it 5 minutes to see if windows will install more drivers automatically, if it doesnt, check that all the drives appear in my computer and are assigned the correct drive letter, if they are not, go to start, search, disk management, press enter, right click on each disk one by one at the bottom where the blue rows are, (excluding the raid array), change drive letter and path, click on remove, click on yes twice, repeat but this time add and assing the letter to the list above, including the cd dvd drive, once done, reboot the pc.

hope this helps you

Tomas Mascinskas

Comment

check my thread 100%

Comment

Working...
        X