Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.0 USB Ports Not Working

Hi,

I am trying to resolve an issue with my 2.0 USB ports. I've created an original thread at PCHelpForum.com and decided to cross-post here as this forum has a specific department for ASRock, please take a look: 2.0 USB Ports Not Working | PC Help Forum

Many thanks for any help,

Re: 2.0 USB Ports Not Working

Hello and welcome to the forum.

In your other post you state you tried a hardware reset by pulling the power plug and letting it sit for 5 min. That does not really reset the hardware.

This is the correct way for a quick reset,

1. Shut the system down.
    2. Pull the power cord from back of PSU.
    3. Press and hold the power button on the case for 1 min to drain all power from the system.
    4. Press and hold the Clr Cmos button or use a jumper on the Clr Cmos pins for 1-5 min.
    5. Remove jumper, reconnect power cord
    6. Enter bios and load Optimized Defaults Save and reboot.
    7 Re-enter bios and reset all settings ie, set sata controllers back to ahci or raid, memory settings and or cpu overclock settings, USB settings

If that does not work Try a extended clear,

1. Shut the system down.
    2. Pull the power cord from back of PSU.
    3. Press and hold the power button on the case for 1 min to drain all power from the system.
    4. Remove the battery from the motherboard.
    5. Press and hold the Clr Cmos button or use a jumper on the Clr Cmos pins for 2hrs - 24hrs.
    6. Remove jumper, reconnect power cord, reinstall battery.
    7. Enter bios and load Optimized Defaults Save and reboot.
    8 Re-enter bios and reset all settings ie, set sata controllers back to ahci or raid, memory settings and or cpu overclock settings, USB settings
    Main Rig
    Gigabyte z87x-OC
    Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
    G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
    Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
    Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
    HiS ATI HD 6950
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
    Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
    Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
    Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
    Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
    EK Supremacy Cpu Block
    Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
    Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Comment

Just tried the first hardware reset method again, did not solve the problem but now device manager shows an unknown device:

Click image for larger version

Name:	devmngr2.png
Views:	1
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	752099

Going to try the extended clear and see if that resolves the problem.

Could it be a problem with the PSU? On the web, someone who had, though not exactly the same, but similar issue was able to resolve it by replacing their PSU: USB devices Not recognized selectively - Page 2 - Windows 7 Forums. However, I am not certain if there is anything wrong with my PSU.

Comment

Unfortunately the extended clear didn't solve the problem either.

Edit: also just updated bios to 1.70 but no joy. Perhaps the motherboard has been damaged somehow.
        Last edited by ld_pvl; 05-07-2012, 08:30 AM.

Comment

I think I will be better off with a new motherboard. But before, could someone let me know what's the possibility of the issue being related my PSU? I haven't got a spare PSU at hand to test out unfortunately.

Comment

Please close the thread - getting a new motherboard indeed fixed the problem.

Comment

Working...
            X