970 Extreme4 crashing issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 970 Extreme4 crashing issues

So I bought a Asrock 970 Extreme4 for a new setup with a Phenom x4 955 Black Edition and 2x4GB G.Skill 1600 9-9-9-24 Ram. (vid card isan NVidia 550ti but that's not the issue)
    The issue is the the system crashes, either hanging on a black screen or rebooting constantly. (cant even get win7 installed before it goes down) I've already RMA'd the board once just got the second one yesterday (after a nightmare with UPS but that is a whole other story) and I'm getting the same issues again.

This is the support issue I posted on the first board with Asrock technical support, I've not gone through this procedure with this one yet, but all the initial behavior is identical - hopefully i can find a solution here:

I just built a new system with the above parts (Purchased from Newegg). System spontaneously reboots frequently shortly after starting windows. No blue screen or other error in windows, just reset, or sometimes hang to black and rarely system turns off (at which point i need to unplug power for a minute to even restart.) This doesn't seem to be an issue with windows or how it installed, my earlier windows 7 install also crashed out, then i went for a reinstall, which took a few tries due to crashes. I've also tried running Linux (Ubuntu) off a USB drive with the same issues (although once early on in the boot sequence I got a kernel panic error but no reboot)
    Sometimes on the black screen hanging event the LED display on the motherboard will read 19 and the system will beep 3 times and repeat.
    In windows, browsing in IE can sometimes be done for a while, Starting up Windows performance tests will reliably crash within a minute. and starting HWmonitor from www.cpuid.com crashes the computer 9times out of 10 (was trying to run that to see if there was an overheating issue)

I've potentially eliminated a couple possible hardware issues:
    Errors persist with or without the DVD Drive connected.
    I've tried a different GFX card (old winforce nvidia 6600), error persists.
    Crashing while running Linux off USB drive probably rules out hard drive.

Initially I thought it was an issue with the RAM but I have pretty much ruled that out: After consulting with G.Skill's forum I have tried upping the memory voltage up to as high as 1.625 V and I have tried running it slower ( Ive tried it at 1600, 1333, and 800) and with more relaxed timings (10-10-10-27). I've also tried the ram in both sets of banks (both blue or both white) and with each stick individually in each ram socket. Going to one ram stick seems to have increased the time before crashing a little. (that let me install the AMD drivers downloaded from Asrock.com and the Nvidia drivers) but trying anything beyond web browsing still causes rapid crashes.
    However running the memtest86 application on the linux bootsystem gives a clean score on the ram (at 1333 speeds) So it seems like the ram is ok, but I don't have any other DDR3 ram to try.

Also immediately after crashes checking the CPU temp in the Bios shows temps in the high 30/low 40's (C) so it doesn't seem to be a cooling problem (with the cpu)
    All this leads me to believe that thereis an issue with the motherboard or CPU.

Any help I can get would be fantastic

Re: 970 Extreme4 crashing issues

What power supply - brand and model.

Bill
    My HTPC -

ASRock 970 Extreme3
    AMD FX-4100 w/Coolermaster GeminII S cooler
    M Station HT-1100 HTPC Media Center case
    Antec 480 NeoPower PSU
    Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB KHX1600C9D3B1K2/8GX
    Gigabyte GV-R467ZL 4670/1GB video card
    Hitachi HDS721050CLA362 500GB SATA hd
    Windows7 Ultimate x64 & Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (partitioned)
    Pioneer DVR-215D SATA DVD burner
    Samsung 40" 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV LN40C630

You can teach an old dog; it just takes longer.

Comment

2 possibilty here.
      1. your PSU is bad quality.. or
      2. your HDD is have problem whit controller

what the PSU you use?

have you set the SATA mode to IDE or AHCI?

Comment

Decreasing RAM settings even to lowest values does not mean it is made working! A non compatible RAM may not work even on minimal frequency/timings. Test your RAM with memory diagnostic tools such as MEMTEST86+ which should be included in your Ubuntu cd.

Comment

Hi.
          I know this is an old thread, but some users may still get one of these boards and have problems with them.
          I have the same board, and I have been plagued by crashes and blue screens.
          The boards are extremely picky with regards to the make and model of memory you install, its difficult to get some of the recommended memory still, but from what I have learned that under no circumstances use Crucial memory sticks, even though some are on the list of recommended memory.
          Having not bought Crucial memory for it, I cannot verify this, and some people may have had luck installing it.
          If you use two sticks of memory, they Must be installed into slots 2 and 4, I have always used 1 and 3 whichever boards I have had, but using 1 and 3 in this board caused me major head aches, especially with video, especially video hardware acceleration in Internet explorer and Firefox, it crashed almost every time I went on the internet.
          If you have memory in 1 and 3 only, you will also notice that the system temp is very high, reading it with speedfan.
          I still have crashes, even though I run Kingston memory in all of the slots, the crashes seem to be related to me running SLI, but I live with the crashes rather than disable SLI.

Comment

Hello
            May your CPU fan blow to your RAM and heat it up? The first blue slot is the closest to CPU socket. Which CPU do you use? One of high power models?

Comment

If you are talking about mine, then no, the CPU is water cooled.
              Update, since I filled the slots with Kingston memory, the crashes have all but disappeared.
              Anyone with this problem should try altering the memory settings in bios as well, ganged/unganged is a place to start, don't overclock.

Originally posted by bahram_alinezhad View Post
              Hello
              May your CPU fan blow to your RAM and heat it up? The first blue slot is the closest to CPU socket. Which CPU do you use? One of high power models?

Comment

Working...
              X