Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

asrock extreme 4 gen 3, slow usb 3 speed on front panel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• asrock extreme 4 gen 3, slow usb 3 speed on front panel.

Hi

I bought the asrock extreme 4 gen 3

I noticed when I test the speed of the usb 3 using the included front header usb 3 panel
    the speed is really slow

but the backpanel usb 3 runs at usb 3 speed when tested.

All usb 3 drivers are installed.

I used crystal diskmark x64

front usb3 header (the front usb3 bracket is included with the motherboard)

usb3 back panel

Anyone get the same problem?

Both test were done 2 times and the same results occured..

Re: asrock extreme 4 gen 3, slow usb 3 speed on front panel.

Not sure what you're upset about, you're blowing me away with those speeds. I'm getting transfer speed starting at about 20mb/s dropping to about 6mb/s after about ten seconds for both my front and back panels.

Can i assume you're running driver version 1.0.0.96?

Comment

I have exactly same problem with my USB 3.0 front ports.

My back USB 3.0 ports works like a charm, but when I switch to the front ports it seems like my portable disk is working in USB 2.0 mode:

My external HDD has got LED. It becomes Blue when USB 3.0 mode is active (back ports), and Green when USB 2.0 mode is on (front ports). It's not simply performance issue. I would call it fake USB 3.0.

Latest Etron drivers, fresh OS installation.

Comment

radier, Interesting results. Please elaborate on "fake usb 3.0".

I see we both have the crucial m4 - Did you update your diver to 0009. Heard it increases speed by at least 20%.

Is your usb 3.0 header stock from your case?

Updated the driver to 1.0.0.104 as well as tried a beta driver I found on their website. No change.

Fresh install would be delightful (done one already), and will only do it if I'm about to return my board...
        Last edited by Bslade; 09-12-2011, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bslade View Post
          radier, Interesting results. Please elaborate on "fake usb 3.0".
          As I describe it. My External HDD has got Status LED. It becomes blue when USB 3.0 mode is active (when I connect it to back USB 3.0 ports) and it is green when running in USB 2.0 port. In my case it should be blue when I put it to front Panel USB 3.0 but it isn't. The performance difference is HUGE.

About other questions:
          My Crucial is already on 009.
          I am using front USB 3.0 Panel from ASRock.
          I have tested all drivers from .101 to 105 before and after fresh OS installation.

Comment

I've got exactly the same speeds for rear and front usb 3.0 and exactly 1/2 the speed running the same drive on win XP 32bit computer.

Your situation would tell me it's hardware issue. But for me, my guess is it may be windows 7 related. A clean instal may be coming...
            Attached Files

Comment

How many clean installation it need to start working as it should? 10 or maybe 20? That ain't kind of answer I need.

I have found this: P8P67 PRO - USB 3.0 bracket Low 2.0 Speeds - AnandTech Forums

Comment

I see we both have the crucial m4 - Did you update your diver to 0009.

Comment

I have already written that....

Comment

Dear all,

Please kindly provide the detail model name of your USB devices for me.

I am checking this issue.

Thanks for your help.

Have a nice day
                    ASRock TSD Emily

Comment

You could easily figure it out from my HD Tach screenshot but here you are: Samsung S2 Portable 3 640GB HX-MTA64DA/G22

Comment

I've been testing with two USBs:

(1) SanDisk Cruzer 2.0 Contour 8GB
                        (2) ADATA S102/ 3.0 16GB

It's definitely not the sticks, stand-alone, as they don't have this issue on my old system- consistently start with a 20mb/s transfer speed that drops to about 6mb/s after a minute or two.

Anyway, it's day 22 for me with this board, an ASRock rep thinks it's the USB chipset, so I RMA'd it for an exchange. I still have faith in this board

I did end up updating the firmware on the SSD. Huge performance boost, but zero impact on the USB issue.
                        Last edited by Bslade; 09-14-2011, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Dear Bslade,

If you plug the USB drive to rear and front USB 3.0 ports, your USB drive cannot work at USB3.0 speed.
                          Please kindly reinstall USB driver to try again.

Thanks!

Have a nice day
                          ASRock TSD Emily

Comment

The issue is not just 3.0 speeds as the same issue is occurring for both 2.0 & 3.0 flash drives at roughly the same speeds.

I don't think there's much left for me on the troubleshooting end as I've already one the following:

(1) Deleted, reinstalled USB Drivers
                            (2) Deleted, tested a beta USB driver
                            (3) Updated SSD Firmware
                            (4) Tweaked various EUFI settings
                            (4) Ensured had most recent windows update
                            (4) Clean installed win 7 OS

Am I missing anything?

I should have a new board after a week or two so leaving everything else the same, I should have a definitive answer as to whether or not it's a hardware issue.

Comment

I have similar problem with a Gigabyte Z68, using 2 x Etron EJ168. The drive works fine on the rear if i disconnect the front header, have tried 3 different brands of front bay adaptors, so it has ruled that out. Can anyone confirm if the rear ports begin working correctly after the front header is removed?

Comment

Working...
                              X