890GX Pro 3 Video Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 890GX Pro 3 Video Problem

I recently purchased an 890GX Pro 3 mobo, installed it into the chassis, plugged everything in and I get no display from either the onboard video or my video card. I've tried reseeding the CPU, memory, and video card. I've tried taking the video card out completely. I've also tried seeding the memory several different ways. Any help? Thanks.

System info:
    AMD X4 Phenom II Black Edition
    2x Corsair 1333MHz 2g
    Nvidia GeForce 9500 GT

Re: 890GX Pro 3 Video Problem

First off, when you turn it on, does it appear to come on (fans spin up, etc)?

What size PSU are you using? Do you get any beeps when you turn it on?

Try clearing the BIOS (either by jumper or removing the battery), and booting with only the onboard video. Also make sure that you have screws (tight) in all the standoffs for the mobo, otherwise you may have a bad ground which can cause issues. Remove any unused standoffs.

Comment

Yeah, everything turns on. The fans on the PSU, CPU, and GPU all turn on. I get no beeps. I get no picture. I've tried to reset the BIOS battery and the CMOS jumpers. Still get nothing. PSU is 750w.

Comment

What size/brand etc PSU are you using? Also, are you sure the board is screwed tightly to the standoffs?

Unfortunately, this is sounding like a bad motherboard or CPU (probably mobo). However, answers to those questions will help in determining the culprit and if it is something else.

Also, kind of a long shot since it looks like you have covered the normal stuff, but make sure that the mobo power connector(s) are all plugged in properly.

Comment

Also, if you have another system you can test the CPU in, that will confirm its either a motherboard or PSU problem, as a system will boot with no or faulty RAM.

Comment

The PSU is a Corsair HX 750w. All screws are tight. As for the power connectors, as I was reading the manual for the board, it mentioned that the board would function with either a 4 pin or 8 pin connector and either a 20 pin or 24 pin connector. I tried both variations and everything powered on fine, but still got no video. I was leaning towards it being a bad motherboard. This is the 2nd motherboard I have tried in this computer in a 2 week time span. The first one was bad as well...

Also, as a side note. The Dr. Debug LED indicator showed 39 the first time I tried to boot it up, but it has been showing the number 10 ever since. Does that give any more info?

Comment

Your manual for the board should have the information that will tell you what those codes indicate. I couldn't find them via Google and don't own an Asrock board I could cross-check with. Anyway, definitely doesn't sound like a PSU problem and since you are sure the screws are tight, I think your board is bad. Hopefully an AsRock tech support person will catch this thread and be able to help you out a bit more with the error codes if you cannot find them in your manual/don't have it. Best of luck.

Comment

The manual indicates that the code is "PEI Core has started." I'm not sure what that means. Anyway. I tried reseeding everything again, resetting the BIOS and CMOS, and changing displays. No display came up. Thanks for your quick responses and your help!

Comment

The PEI core message is nothing I can help you with (I know nothing about it), unfortunately. Hopefully the AsRock tech support folks can tune in on this thread soon and let you know exactly what that may mean, or if it just confirms our diagnosis. I think you have done everything you can to pinpoint the issue and it sounds like a faulty board is the only good explanation at this point, unless you have a multimeter laying around to ensure that your PSU is delivering the proper voltages to the board (or, if your PSU works with a similar board/CPU combo, which from the way this has come out, it sounds to me like you were just recently using it with a different setup with no problems).

Comment

Working...
                  X