No announcement yet.

ASRock H67M-ITX throttles CPU speed prematurely. HELP!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock H67M-ITX throttles CPU speed prematurely. HELP!!!

I just built a machine with an ASRock H67M-ITX motherboard and an i7 2600K CPU, all stuffed in a Lian Li PC-Q11 enclosure. The CPU has a Thermalright AXP-140 cooler installed, with a slim Scythe 120mm fan.

I am running everything at stock speeds, no overclocking. All the CPU/voltage/speed settings in BIOS are at the auto or default settings.

When I run Prime95 Torture Test (In-place large FFTs, 8 threads), every few seconds CPU-Z reports my multiplier drops to x 16.0 (from x 34.0). At the time of the multiplier drop, the hottest core temperature is around 61C.

I thought throttling was supposed to happen once the temperature reaches into the high 90s.

I tried a second H67M-ITX motherboard and the exact same thing happens.

I sent an email to ASRock about this a few weeks ago but received no response. :'(

Re: ASRock H67M-ITX throttles CPU speed prematurely. HELP!!!

Adjust manually Turbo Power and Core Current Limits to 255/255/300

It should look like this:
    Last edited by radier; 01-31-2012, 07:44 AM.

Comment

Unfortunately, the UEFI BIOS for this board does not allow me to enter the power limits higher than 120. Anything I type higher than 120 just immediately changes back to 120.

I've tried both the newest UEFI and the beta UEFI. :(

Comment

Dear Josephclemente,

We did the test, but we cannot see the symptom like yours.
        Below is our test configuration,
        Motherboard: H67M-ITX
        CPU: i7-2600k
        Memory: Kingston DDR3 1600 4G
        CPU Cooler: AMA PA027-8LB4W
        BIOS: P1.10

We did the prime95 Test (In-place large FFTs, 8 threads) for one hour, CPU frequency won't decrease frequency to 1600MHz (x16).

Please kindly refer to below suggestions for testing.
        1. Please update BIOS P1.10 from below link and then load BIOS default settings to try.
        Link: ASRock > Products > Motherboard > H67M-ITX > Download
        2. Check the CPU heatsink. (Make sure it is well installed)
        3. Make sure the thermal grease is well spread on the CPU.
        4. If possible, please kindly install the CPU to another system to check whether the symptom still occur.
        5. If possible, please kindly change another CPU to check whether the symptom still occur.

If the problem still cannot be solved, please kindly contact your local dealer to check your system.
        Thanks for your support!

Have a nice day
        ASRock TSD Emily

Comment

Hello Emily,

Thank you so much for taking the time to run a test. I appreciate this.

Originally posted by ASRock TSD - Emily View Post
          1. Please update BIOS P1.10 from below link and then load BIOS default settings to try.
          Link: ASRock > Products > Motherboard > H67M-ITX > Download
          I've been using the beta BIOS L1.20A. I have downloaded the P1.10 BIOS with default settings as you have suggested. Unfortunately, the exact same thing happens.

2. Check the CPU heatsink. (Make sure it is well installed)
          3. Make sure the thermal grease is well spread on the CPU.
          The heatsink is well installed with proper Arctic Silver 5 thermal grease. I tried both the "thermal spread" and "vertical line" methods of thermal grease application. Both result in the same results. Temperatures look great to me - only in the low 60 celsius range).

Also, the reported motherboard temperature is only in the low 40 celsius range. I assume this is the chipset temperature.

4. If possible, please kindly install the CPU to another system to check whether the symptom still occur.
          I tried the CPU with an ASRock Z68 Pro3-M, a Gigabyte GA-H67N-USB3-B3 and an Intel DP67BG motherboard. No throttling occurs.

I also tried a second H67M-ITX, and the throttling happens exactly the same.

5. If possible, please kindly change another CPU to check whether the symptom still occur.
          I have tried a different CPU of the same type with the same results. I also tried a lower powered i3-2100 which did NOT throttle.

Here is something very interesting. There is a program called ThrottleStop by UncleWebb which is designed to stop motherboard throttling techniques added by motherboard/laptop manufacturers in the BIOS. Simply starting ThrottleStop (without even clicking the "Turn On" button in the application) instantly stops this throttling problem. The throttling goes away even after exiting the ThrottleStop application.

Since ASRock was unable to duplicate the problem, I wonder if a temperature sensor on the motherboard is not receiving cool air due to the shape of my heatsink. Maybe your heatsink is cooling that particular area better. If such a temperature sensor exists, could you tell me where it is located on the motherboard so I could target it?

For now, I am running ThrottleStop at boot-time but I think the cleanest solution would be if the UEFI BIOS was adjusted to stop this altogether.

Also, I am running Windows 7 64-bit with 64-bit Prime95.

Comment

bump

Comment

This is purely speculation on my behalf, but I think that you are probably onto something with regard to the temperature sensor idea. The fact that no throttling occurred with a lower-powered CPU points to either a temperature issue or a power supply issue. If you have another PSU around, I would swap them out and test that way. I looked around Google for info on the temp sensor locations but didn't find anything on the first couple of pages so hopefully AsRock will get back to you about that. I doubt its a BIOS problem, or this issue would be all over by now.

Also, a longshot, but also be sure to make sure that your OS's power management settings aren't causing throttling. Good luck

Comment

Looks like that was the problem - a temperature sensor somewhere on the motherboard was telling the CPU to throttle.

I flipped the CPU fan around so it is pulling air out of the heatsink, rather than blowing into it. Now I can run Prime95 all I want without any throttling. CPU temperatures are about the same.

Comment

Hi josephclemente,

Funny thing - I have the same set and the same problem as you. My motherboard H67M-ITX and processor Core i7-2600K. The idea was to build small, silent and powerful machine. But in my case the temperature causing CPU throttles was 70°C (of course I disabled CPU thermal throttling in UEFI) . I sent a letter to Asrock support but they didn't help me. The answer was - do CLR_CMOS :)

Thanks to you I solved my problem. For now I use the software metod (ThrottleStop). It works perfect. but I will try to solve this physical method, just like you. Anyway it would be nice if ASRock has done something about it.

Comment

Hello FamilyGuy,

I'm glad this info helped you out!

I have stopped using ThrottleStop, but I have since added a Radeon 6850 video card. Now I can get the system to throttle again while running Prime95 plus Furmark to stress the video card. Temperatures are still fine. It's just that mystery motherboard sensor that is not pleased.

It would be great if ASRock would give us a UEFI fix for this. Or is the board really engineered for 65W processors, and the motherboard power phases aren't up to the task of handling 95W processors? Maybe the throttling is just a workaround to "support" 95W processors. It is also strange how the H67M-ITX UEFI will not let us adjust the power limits beyond 120 as Radier pictured earlier in this thread.

I am hoping these are only bugs in the EUFI and not hardware limitations.

Comment

I forgot to mention that I have a GTX 460 which also raises the temperature inside my case. I gave Asrock support a link to this forum. Maybe it will help them.

I have an idea to build some isolation like in this motherboard http://pl.asus.com/Motherboards/Inte...ABERTOOTH_P67/ This could help separate warm air from the heatsink to do not touch a sensor. But its only an idea.

Comment

Working...
                      X