No announcement yet.

ASRock 4CoreDual-SATA2 R2.0 + Intel Core 2 Quad 9550 = big mistake? >_<

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ASRock 4CoreDual-SATA2 R2.0 + Intel Core 2 Quad 9550 = big mistake? &gt;_&lt;

To update this thread:

I finally received a reply from ASRock CSD from the submitted web form. After a couple of emails back and forth with the CSD rep stating that the fsb should only be reduced by 5% as per the CPU compatibility page, this was the last message I ended up receiving:

"There is no any special setting for 1333FSB processor, You simply just drop in and bios will automatically detect it. From all the hassle I see. I suggest you contact the vendor and get the different mainboard, that fully support your Q9550 processor. Sorry about the issue you are having."

I replied back:

"It sounds like you are saying that my CPU should be able to run at the proper speed, but that the auto-detection is not setting it up correctly in the BIOS. Could you please tell me the proper manual BIOS settings to enable the correct speeds for the Q9550 CPU? If it is simply a problem with the 2.20 BIOS auto-detection, manual settings should be much less dangerous to test than a BIOS flash down to version 2.10."

Since that message, I haven't heard any reply for the past week. I am almost tempted to try to see if BIOS 2.10 would "magically" find proper settings to get my CPU up to speed, since the rep seems to believe that the 1333 MHz fsb support for the Q9550 is not an error in the listing on the website.

I apologize for what might seem like thread necrosis, but based upon the "official" position that my CPU is not performing as expected by an official ASRock rep, I am hopeful that perhaps I may either receive another email at a future date, or hopefully receive some feedback from Sean C. here that might be useful both to myself and for anyone else looking to equip one of these motherboards with what could well be the top-performing CPU on the support list.

Comment

Re: ASRock 4CoreDual-SATA2 R2.0 + Intel Core 2 Quad 9550 = big mistake? &gt;_&lt;

Hello just got ASRock 4CoreDual-SATA2 R2.0 + Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 .

The long story sort , I got the board before three days , originally I got an E7500 CPU,
      that turned bad , and I had to return for replacement on warranty hopefully.
      The point is that this could take lots of time , so I just got today another (used) CPU
      the Q6600.

Every one who gets that Quad Q6600, the first thing that he reads on Google are how well it overclocks at the Toms hardware article.

I am trying to let behind an truly great system, the P3.2 with ASUS P4C800-E DLX ,
      just because my needs about video editing does not get covered by it.

I am very happy wit my ATI HD3850 AGP, that mostly for it, I had choose the 4CoreDual-SATA2.

About the 4CoreDual-SATA2 -5% at quads , I was aware of it , and truly I do not care.
      Even the Quad Q6600 in comparison with the latest E7500 that is the most powerful core 2 duo that the board supports , looks to be killed from the Q6600 at every benchmark.

I managed just to test this board with an Pentium D so to confirm that it works,
      just an 10 minutes test.

Yes I am dying to learn if its possible to push this CPU just a bit more than the default.

Currently I own OCZ platinum SDRAM 3200 2-2-2-5 and ordered and DDRII OCZ value pro PC-4200 ( 266) 4-4-4-12 so at 1:1 it will be good enough .
      The same DDRII gets out as DDR 667 (333) with 5-5-5-14 , and so I bet that my modules can run in both speeds by setting the proper parameters.

I have all ready load the official Bios 2.20 , and I have also and the unofficial Bios ,
      released by an German site of people that tweak the 4CoreDual-SATA2 R20 ,
      and by the tweaked bios it can use even 4GB of ram.

Unfortunately , I did not manage to find if this hacked bios offers more tweaking options than the standard.
      And at what extend .

I vote too over stability, and I do not like to risk the motherboard too.

And so I will follow only safe for the motherboard steps, the Q6600 has known potentials, and the 3G looks sweet , but I can live even with something in between the default and the 3G ..

At the Bios looks that the motherboard can lock the PCI and AGP , and this is nice.
      My question are ... how much is the stablest FSB that this board can offer.

If it can work at 333 1:1 , I will fly my hat ..
      That's an 9X333= 2997 - 5% = 2.847 GHz that works nice for me.
      Last edited by Kiriakos; 10-14-2010, 04:56 PM.
      EP35C-DS3R F4 | Q6600 | ProlimaTech Armageddon
      HYPER-X KHX1600C8D3T1K2 /4GX
      PC3-12800 1600MHz (1066 CL 6-6-6-21)
      ATI HD 5770 Vapor - X| X-Fi music |RAID-1 WD Raptors
      HIPER HPU-4M780-PE

XP PRO 32bit

Comment

EP35C-DS3R F4 | Q6600 | ProlimaTech Armageddon
        HYPER-X KHX1600C8D3T1K2 /4GX
        PC3-12800 1600MHz (1066 CL 6-6-6-21)
        ATI HD 5770 Vapor - X| X-Fi music |RAID-1 WD Raptors
        HIPER HPU-4M780-PE