12gb = No More Overclock for x58 Deluxe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12gb = No More Overclock for x58 Deluxe

I just tried to upgrade my system from 6gb to 12gb and can't seem to overclock at all. I've tried all the ASROCK predefined overclock settings to no avail. Command Rate is 2t for all configurations. As you can see from my sig, this system works fine at 4.2ghz with 6gb, but won't even boot at the Asrock EZ OC 3.6ghz settings with 12gb.

Actually, even at 4.2ghz with 6gb, the system would still automatically reduce the cpu multiplier from 21 to 20 resulting in 4ghz at maximum load. Never was able to figure out how to hold the cpu multi to 21, but didn't matter. 4ghz under max load was fine. Nevertheless, none of that matters now, if I want to use 12gb (and I do for virtual machine software work...), since I can't seem to figure out how to overclock with more ram.

Any ideas? I'm sure I'm missing some obscure voltage setting or the like. I can run at default settings at 2.67ghz (20x133) or even 2.8ghz (21x133), but nothing more than that using EZ OC. The RAM is Corsair XMS3 Cas8 and tests fine with Memtest86+ v4.10 at default settings. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanx in advance.

Re: 12gb = No More Overclock for x58 Deluxe

Uhm, as fas as I know overclocking with more than 6MB will make all systems more unstable.

Moreover, dont use preset OC settings, they seldom work: try to find right settings for your OC (one example: my X58 Extreme3 doesnt pass OCCT and Intel Stress tests at default settings but does at 3.75 and 4.0Ghz OC, can you believe it?).

Are you sure that the second 6GB set of RAM is totally compatible with the first ? (sorry for the stupid question)

Anyway, give a look at these two guides trying to find right settings for the OC:

3 Step Guide To Overclock Your Core i3, i5, or i7 – Updated! | Overclockers

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Forum- Overclocking Intel Core i7 processors
    Last edited by Gatt; 07-04-2010, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gatt View Post
      Uhm, as fas as I know overclocking with more than 6MB will make all systems more unstable.

Moreover, dont use preset OC settings, they seldom work: try to find right settings for your OC (one example: my X58 Extreme3 doesnt pass OCCT and Intel Stress tests at default settings but does at 3.75 and 4.0Ghz OC (with right settings and not on AUTO or preset EZ OC, can you believe it?).

Are you sure that the second 6GB set of RAM is totally compatible with the first ? (sorry for the stupid question)

Anyway, give a look at these two guides trying to find right settings for the OC:

3 Step Guide To Overclock Your Core i3, i5, or i7 – Updated! | Overclockers

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Forum- Overclocking Intel Core i7 processors
      Yeah, I suspected that it would be more difficult over 6gb. However, I was surprised that the EZ OC settings all worked so well (at least with some minor cpu vcore bump...) with 6gb and all failed so miserably with 12gb no matter the vcore bump. Anyway, I worked on it all day yesterday to no avail. I guess I'll have to use some of the guides (thanx for the links...) and start from scratch with 12gb to see how high I can safely go.

By the way, the RAM is all the same and passes Memtest86+ as a group and individually. The RAM itself is not the problem, just the amount. Also, would you care to share your BIOS settings for 4ghz on your x58 Extreme3?

Anyway, thanx for the quick reply. I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

Actually I have 6GB of RAM and an i7 [email protected] so the following settings apply only for that CPU/RAM.

Anyway, first I load bios default settings, then I re-boot. Then I put int the bios my ram settings (1600Mhz, latency timing 9-9-9-27, 1.65V).

For 3.75Ghz OC: BCLK 150; Memory Multi 10 = DRAM frequency 1500; Uncore Multi 20 = UCLK Frequency 3000; QPI Frequency 5400; CPU Multi 25.

For 4.00Ghz: 160, 1600, 3200, 5760, 25. If the system fails to pass the stress test at 4Ghz I rise the V with little steps. I have only air cooling (a Dark Knight cooler) so I'm barely able to keep temperatures under 90° under the OCCT stress test. Thats why I prefer to stay at 3.75Ghz for playing (well, with the ATI 5870 even the CPU at stock speed has enuff horsepower for all the simulations I actually play at 1680x1050, AA 4x, AF 16x, all options maxed out).
        Last edited by Gatt; 07-04-2010, 07:37 AM.

Comment

Thanx. This will help when I try to overclock this thing with 12gb. MY CPU cooler is rather large and requires me to remove the front fan (I have two fans in a push-pull configuration...) to install the extra ram. Plus, with 3 vid cards and the bottom pcie slot used by the sound card, it's hard to get my big mitts in position to clear the CMOS with the motherboard jumper. Anway, thanx again for the help. Perhaps I'll give it another shot later today. I'll keep you posted.

By the way, my settings for 4.2ghz were to use the EZ OC setting and put +0.264 voltage offset on the CPU. I know that's a lot of extra vcore, but it's stable in OCCT and still idles under 50c and max loads in the mid 70's with all actual and virtual cores 100% stressed. Fairly easy and certainly lazy on my part. Guess I'll have to work at the manual settings to get a decent overclock with the extra ram.

Comment

You probably know this guide, but who knows ... :

Intel Core i7-920 Overclocking Guide - X-bit labs

Comment

Originally posted by Gatt View Post
              You probably know this guide, but who knows ... :

Intel Core i7-920 Overclocking Guide - X-bit labs
              Yes, I've been researching it. Again, thanx for all the help. I think I'm just going to get an unlocked i7-975 instead. I know it's expensive, but so is my time. Playing with this stuff is a lot of fun, but my play time is very limited, so I'm probably going to have to go for the quick fix with the unlocked processor instead. I have a spare x58 Extreme that I can use for my present i7-920 as an upgrade to the wife's current system which is still socket 775 based.

Comment

Well, I gave up trying to get the x58 Deluxe to support 12gb RAM with an i7-920 D0 clocked to 4ghz +. Nothing seemed to work and no combination of BIOS settings that I could find helped.

I got lucky and found a new boxed i7-975 Extreme Edition for $550 on eBay and replaced the 920. Installed the new CPU; upped the voltage to 1.384 to account for vdroop; and, changed the multi to 30. 4ghz and works like a champ with 12gb RAM.

I'll put the 920 in a spare x58 Extreme that I have and upgrade the wife's system. Anyway, I promised an update when I found a solution. I know this was an easy option, but I just don't have time to keep experimenting hoping that some magical combination of BIOS settings will work.

Comment

Working...
                X