Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAID novice!

Hey,

I've bought a ASROCK M3N78D MB and I've set up a RAID1 using 2 1TB disks, or at least I think I have. Both disks are now shown as a single 'NVIDIA MIRROR' disk now so thats all good.

My question is do I need to do anything in Windows? I've got WinXP Pro installed and everything is working fine. I guess I am just looking for some reassurance that its actually working as I think it is.

Re: RAID novice!

One way to have some assurance, as you indicate you have a mirror raid setup is to disconnect power from one drive, and boot. If you can boot into Windows XP fine, it is a good mirror. Bios should squawk that your raid had failed and to replace the failed drive. Don't do anything. shut down, recconnect that drive, discconnect the other one. You should still be able to boot into Windows. This is your reassurance.

Now, consider this: you get a virus.. it trashes a windows critical file. Did your raid setup help? The answer is, no, since it is a mirror setup. Both drives are trashed the same way.Raid setups are used on servers to prevent data loss from drive failures. Some of the enthusiast sites I visit say no home use should use raid on their main system. As a home user a raid setup would be best on a backup drive. Consider that.

Comment

Thanks, that sounds like a good idea.

This PC is used for multi-channel audio recording. It has no network or net connection and now the relevent software has been installed, the only means of getting data in and out is thru ADAT light pipes. The Mirror RAID is there to prevent data loss in the event of disk corruption or failure.

I was already aware of the futility of Mirroring a home PC and thats exactly the reason why I am still a novice on RAID; I've had no use for it until now.

Comment

If you open the Nvidia control panel there should be a section for raid options, in there you should be able to see the status of your raid set.

Comment

Working...
        X