X58 Extreme unusual hardware failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X58 Extreme unusual hardware failure

On April 4th I received all my parts from Newegg and built up my board.
    my parts:
    Asrock X58 Extreme
    Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev 2
    Intel I7-920
    OCZ gold 3X2Gig 1600 triple channel memory
    Saphire Vapor X Radeon 5870HD video card
    Imation M class 64G solid state drive
    Western Digital Green 1TB storage drive
    Thermaltake 750W power supply.

All this in a Thermaltake Element S case. I added two front 120mm silent fans to the front of the case to blow over the HD's. I began my overclocking and testing until I settled on a 4.002Ghz stable overclock. I monitored temps which were in the mid 50's under load. I was a happy camper.

On 5/21 I was in an online game when I heard a pop sound and my system went dead. I found the choke, LT740 near the corner of the LGA1366 socket burnt. Under the board i saw the pad copper had vaporized; the fibers of the board were visible where the board had a bulge under the part. Clearly this board had a catstrophic part failure. Since this chassis has a hole behind the motherboard to facilitate CPU cooler installation, there is a blast mark on the side panel from the failure of this part.

I know this is a rare problem. Has anyone else experienced a hardware failure like this?

Re: X58 Extreme unusual hardware failure

Dear Insight Homewood,

Please kindly understand your situation may cause by various reason.
    Please provide your e-mail address to us, I will please my colleague contact you directly for further checking your question and situation.

Thanks!

Comment

I have some further information on my computer failure. The Thermaltake 750W ATXv2.2 power supply which was supporting my computer with margin to spare before the failure, would not support a full load on my new motherboard. With my ATI 5870 card in my machine, I was able to install a clean copy of Windows 7 on my SSD. In Windows, when I started any program that changed the video mode of the card, my computer would spontaneously reboot and Window would complain that is was not shut down correctly. I originally suspected the video card may be damaged. I tried a different video card (an Nvidia GTX480). With that card, starting a 3-d application would cause the screen to go black and my machine to be unresponsive.

I swapped an older power supply out of a machine I had, also same brand, and also 750W. I was able to run Prime95, Furmark and other stress tests with that power supply. I also ran a battery of tests on my system with the ATI 5870 installed. I convinced myself that my video card was fine, my ram and processor are fine. I concluded there is some issue with my power supply. It is now a chicken or egg issue.

I do not know if the power supply failed, taking the motherboard with it (a likely scenario), or the motherboard failure damaged the power supply (not as likely since power supplies have self-protection ciruits that protect the power supply from overloads and short circuits).

I need to upload pictures I took of the failed motherboard. I will possibly do so tonight (currently I am not at home where my pictures are).

I did buy a new power supply, an 850W ATX V2.3 ps. I also ran overnight stress tests on my machine. My machine is stable and rock solid now.
      Last edited by Insight Homewood; 06-02-2010, 02:33 PM. Reason: forgot to add that I got a new power supply

Comment

I think I need to clarify that, except for the Thermaltake 750W ATX V2.2 PS, the video card, ram and processor on a new Asus P6X58D Premium and using a new 850W PS, I am able to stress test both graphics in detail, motherboard and ram in detail, and all system I/O for well over 8 hours. I was running all eight threads of my processor at %100. I monitored them using Windows system monitor. System temps stablized at 52C, dropping to 49C when the ambient naturally dropped by 5C overnight.
        Attached Files

Comment

This picture is a closeup of the burned coil (the ferrite cover fell off when I removed the board from my case; Note the discoloration of the identifying mark on the part compared to the smaller ones visible in this picture)
          Attached Files

Comment

This shows the damage to the board underneath the LT740 part.
            Attached Files

Comment

Dear Insight Homewood,
              Thanks for your feedback.

Please provide your series number of your M/B, and send your M/B to RMA for replacement.
              We will inform RMA center put your M/B as special case.

Another thing, please do not strip any component such as the top case of chock, it will cause you lost the warranty.
              This time, we will put your M/B as special case and replace an M/B to you.

Sorry for your inconvenience.

Best Wishes
              Sean

Comment

I believe this is the serial number:
                0026222A2AB8

I do not have the original box it came in, however. I live in a rooming house and the cleaning lady took it. I do have the box my Asus board came in, however in which I could pack it.

Please advise.

Comment

Dear Sir,
                  Please refer to below link to check out the serial number.
                  Link:ASRock > Support > SN Finding

Meanwhile, please send a mail to following E-mail address, we will tell you the detail information of RMA schedule.
                  E-mail address:ASRock Inc.

Comment

Hello Sean,

I have the RMS PDF filled out and sent in. I thank you for your support.

Comment

Thanks again to you, Sean. I got my replacement board. I built up a new computer with it, using some new, and some old parts. I am confident that the old board just had a latent fault. I do like the BIOS of the X58 Extreme board, it is very easy to use.

Comment

Just a report on the replacement board I got from Asrock. I sold the system I put together with the replacement board to a friend. Three years later and the system is still running fine.

Comment

Working...
                        X