Compatibility of video board and mother board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compatibility of video board and mother board

I'm using an ASRock K8NF4G-SATA2 motherboard, with an AMD 64 bit Sempron 3000+ processsor. There's a gig of memory, and a 1 tb hard drive. Connectivity to the outside world is via an ASUS PCI-G31 wireless adapter. I also have a Turtle Beach audio card, and a GeForce 8500GT video card installed.

My questions involve the latter unit, which is plugged into the PCI-E slot. Although the internal video from the mother board works fine, I get no video from the 8500GT. When I run lshw (I'm Ubuntu 9.10 based), I get a list of everything EXCEPT the 8500GT.

I've tried turning off the onboard video, per the operating manual. According to the instructions on page 14, I can either run it multi-monitor, or even turn the internal video off. Neither happens, because it appears the mother board may not recognize the video board.

I find it interesting that it does recognize the internal video chips, which are also Nvidia, and use the same drivers. I'm not sure what this means, but it does sound like a clue.

Any ideas? Possible course of action to resolve?

Re: Compatibility of video board and mother board

Originally posted by santiago79830 View Post
    I'm using an ASRock K8NF4G-SATA2 motherboard, with an AMD 64 bit Sempron 3000+ processsor. There's a gig of memory, and a 1 tb hard drive. Connectivity to the outside world is via an ASUS PCI-G31 wireless adapter. I also have a Turtle Beach audio card, and a GeForce 8500GT video card installed.

My questions involve the latter unit, which is plugged into the PCI-E slot. Although the internal video from the mother board works fine, I get no video from the 8500GT. When I run lshw (I'm Ubuntu 9.10 based), I get a list of everything EXCEPT the 8500GT.

I've tried turning off the onboard video, per the operating manual. According to the instructions on page 14, I can either run it multi-monitor, or even turn the internal video off. Neither happens, because it appears the mother board may not recognize the video board.

I find it interesting that it does recognize the internal video chips, which are also Nvidia, and use the same drivers. I'm not sure what this means, but it does sound like a clue.

Any ideas? Possible course of action to resolve?
    Dear Santiago
    We have tested it for you but we didn't see the same symptom like yours.
    We have tested Foxccon Geforce 8500GT VGA card on K8NF4G-SATA2 with latest BIOS P1.70, system works fine.
    Please refer to below attachment.

Following suggestions are for your reference.
    1.Please update the BIOS version to P1.70 then try again.
    BIOS P1.70 download link: http://www.asrock.com/mb/download.as...A2 R2.0&o=BIOS
    2.Please test another VGA card on K8NF4G-SATA2 to verify the PCI-E slot on your system is working fine.
    3.Please test your VGA card on another system then try again.

Best Wishes
    Sean
    Attached Files

Comment

Re: Compatibility of video board and mother board

Thank you very much for your reply. I don't have another PCI-E card available to run a substitution test, although I agree it would be a good one. The mother board is already running P1.70 of the BIOS.

This, coupled with the fact that you have established the mother board is compatible with this model video card, and that a hardware diagnostic on my machine cannot see the board installed, convinces me that the board is defective. I have contacted the vendor about a replacement.

Thanks again for your help!

Comment

Working...
      X