Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Welcome to ASRock Technical Support Forum!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Welcome to ASRock Technical Support Forum!

@Atollo: For the questions you have you'd be far better off creating a thread of your own I think.

You haven't said what you want this "maximum performance" for. But anyway, aren't you trying to throw money at a problem you don't have? A single modern large SSD for programs and the OS will already perform very well against the limits of a single SATA 3.0 port, and they are very reliable (though yes, they can break down ... you should make backups of your data, but even having raid10 doesn't change that). As you may have no TRIM on SSDs (definitive information on the subject is hard to find, and depends on several factors) in a raid setup that could really hurt your performance over time, whereas a single modern SSD will keep performing very well. Two SSDs in a stripe set are arguably a bit faster than a single SSD, but I don't think you'd ever really notice the difference other than in benchmarks, and the possible lack of TRIM is a significant downside.

About that board:
    - 2 Intel SATA 3.0 ports, so RAID 0 or 1 at most on these. I'm not sure whether this chipset and its drivers supports TRIM on RAID. It might.
    - 8 LSI SAS2308 SATA 3.0 ports ... I'm not finding much positive info about these, e.g. they have no cache and the controller seems to get overwhelmed easily. Seems to be best by far to use software raid here, but it would be required to boot off the intel ports. Can't find for sure whether that setup would support TRIM or not, doesn't seem so.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiari View Post
      @Atollo: For the questions you have you'd be far better off creating a thread of your own I think.

You haven't said what you want this "maximum performance" for. But anyway, aren't you trying to throw money at a problem you don't have? A single modern large SSD for programs and the OS will already perform very well against the limits of a single SATA 3.0 port, and they are very reliable (though yes, they can break down ... you should make backups of your data, but even having raid10 doesn't change that). As you may have no TRIM on SSDs (definitive information on the subject is hard to find, and depends on several factors) in a raid setup that could really hurt your performance over time, whereas a single modern SSD will keep performing very well. Two SSDs in a stripe set are arguably a bit faster than a single SSD, but I don't think you'd ever really notice the difference other than in benchmarks, and the possible lack of TRIM is a significant downside.

About that board:
      - 2 Intel SATA 3.0 ports, so RAID 0 or 1 at most on these. I'm not sure whether this chipset and its drivers supports TRIM on RAID. It might.
      - 8 LSI SAS2308 SATA 3.0 ports ... I'm not finding much positive info about these, e.g. they have no cache and the controller seems to get overwhelmed easily. Seems to be best by far to use software raid here, but it would be required to boot off the intel ports. Can't find for sure whether that setup would support TRIM or not, doesn't seem so.

Hi Shiari
      first at all thanks for your answer.
      Yes is true I never declared what my rig is for and my budget too. I'm a fun of my privacy!
      Anyway I use CAD and sometime I like video and audio editing.
      You are right, I'd should create a new topics, I just thought this one where the right place.
      I'm along with you and I think best balance performance/price/troubles indicate to use a single good SSD. I was exploring if there is something better but after some research I think I'll stay in this configuration that guarantee TRIM, S.M.A.R.T. and NCQ.
      It really seems none know for sure that TRIM will work even in the two Intel sata 3 ports, you have to Plug and Pray but I have no money for waste in this kind of research. I spent time for have information because I don't want wast money.
      I contacted LSI to get information up on they controller, I report them troubles that people had with RAID and SSD, I'd also asked if they know a configuration, brands, or anything works well with their controller... No answer from them.
      Then for S.O. and programs I think I'll go for single drive and I'll continue to be paranoid with backup (this already saved me in the past).

Best regards
      Atollo

PS. Excuse my poor English

Comment

About your TRIM in RAID question on an X79 board, the answer is no, it does not work.

There are some modded X79 BIOS files out there that will allow TRIM to work with SSDs in RAID 0, but the standard BIOS (really the Intel SATA Option ROM) and standard X79 RAID driver, RSTe, do not support TRIM in RAID.

Several reasons for that. TRIM in RAID 0 is provided starting with IRST version 11.0 drivers and Option ROMs, on Intel 7 series chipset boards. Note that is IRST, not RSTe. No TRIM with RSTe.

Some mother board manufactures now provide the X79 chipset compatible version of IRST, which starts with IRST 11.7, IIRC. There should be a BIOS update to go along with that, to provide the appropriate Option ROM. The reason for this update is to provide better performance than the RSTe driver provides, not to provide TRIM in RAID 0. That still does not work without the modded BIOS.

The X79 chipset is actually not a true 7 series chipset, despite the name. X79 is more closely related to the 6 series chipsets, since both are meant to support Sandy Bridge architecture CPUs. It turns out that Intel apparently chose to provide RAID 0 TRIM on the 7 series chipsets only, and not on previous chipsets. The driver code literally checks the chipset version, to allow RAID 0 TRIM or not. The modded BIOS has a hacked/fake chipset code, which satisfies the driver check, and RAID 0 TRIM works. Personally, I think there could be side affects caused by the hacked chipset code, but people seem to use the modded BIOS' fine.

So RSTe and a non-qualifying chipset (X79) equals no RAID 0 TRIM. Even IRST plus X79 does not support RAID 0 TRIM. That of course is with the official configuration.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
          About your TRIM in RAID question on an X79 board, the answer is no, it does not work.

There are some modded X79 BIOS files out there that will allow TRIM to work with SSDs in RAID 0, but the standard BIOS (really the Intel SATA Option ROM) and standard X79 RAID driver, RSTe, do not support TRIM in RAID.

Several reasons for that. TRIM in RAID 0 is provided starting with IRST version 11.0 drivers and Option ROMs, on Intel 7 series chipset boards. Note that is IRST, not RSTe. No TRIM with RSTe.

Some mother board manufactures now provide the X79 chipset compatible version of IRST, which starts with IRST 11.7, IIRC. There should be a BIOS update to go along with that, to provide the appropriate Option ROM. The reason for this update is to provide better performance than the RSTe driver provides, not to provide TRIM in RAID 0. That still does not work without the modded BIOS.

The X79 chipset is actually not a true 7 series chipset, despite the name. X79 is more closely related to the 6 series chipsets, since both are meant to support Sandy Bridge architecture CPUs. It turns out that Intel apparently chose to provide RAID 0 TRIM on the 7 series chipsets only, and not on previous chipsets. The driver code literally checks the chipset version, to allow RAID 0 TRIM or not. The modded BIOS has a hacked/fake chipset code, which satisfies the driver check, and RAID 0 TRIM works. Personally, I think there could be side affects caused by the hacked chipset code, but people seem to use the modded BIOS' fine.

So RSTe and a non-qualifying chipset (X79) equals no RAID 0 TRIM. Even IRST plus X79 does not support RAID 0 TRIM. That of course is with the official configuration.

Don't get mad, but with ROM switch, running the RST and win 7, there is TRIM and it works fine, even when there is no ROM switch, and you mod for the 8086.2826 with the 2822mod with a 2826ID there is TRIM.

Win 8 is a different story, some OROMs an driver combinations have no TRIM or have very poor TRIM.

Comment

• Re: AARRGGHH!!!

Originally posted by odiebugs View Post
            Don't get mad, but with ROM switch, running the RST and win 7, there is TRIM and it works fine, even when there is no ROM switch, and you mod for the 8086.2826 with the 2822mod with a 2826ID there is TRIM.

Win 8 is a different story, some OROMs an driver combinations have no TRIM or have very poor TRIM.

With this last two answer I still vith doubt about the question...
            Someone tell me trim will work and someone tell me doesn't work!
            Personally I think Win8 isn't ready for professional use and I think Win7 still better even for drivers support.
            After this discussion I still pretty sure a single drive for S.O. and programs is the best solution... In case of aquiring hi resolution video from a discrete video card should be better have a RAID array dedicate just for receive the recording. In this way the problem due to a drive faillure are limited to the "temp" files or last recorded file that need an early bachup...

Thanks guys to all of you!
            Atollo

Comment

• Re: AARRGGHH!!!

Originally posted by Atollo View Post
              With this last two answer I still vith doubt about the question...
              Someone tell me trim will work and someone tell me doesn't work!
              Personally I think Win8 isn't ready for professional use and I think Win7 still better even for drivers support.
              After this discussion I still pretty sure a single drive for S.O. and programs is the best solution... In case of aquiring hi resolution video from a discrete video card should be better have a RAID array dedicate just for receive the recording. In this way the problem due to a drive faillure are limited to the "temp" files or last recorded file that need an early bachup...

Thanks guys to all of you!
              Atollo

I actually didn't read your question, I was just responding to parsec. I can't speak for every X79 out there, but for the ex 11, my board and a Gig X79, I can say that with a modded rom, or these boards that have rom switch, that is a board that has the option to use either the RST or RST-E OROM, in win 7, I had tested TRIM two way's on win 7 and have been positive they are being TRIMMED.

Say they weren't getting TRIMMED, there is absolutely no proof that if you keep a SSD under 60 % of it's storage and allow some idle time that garbage collection is any less for keeping SSD's in shape.

Until we see a study where they take SSD's in RAID on two system's for 2 years, one with trim and one without, then test them after the two years of heavy usage, can anyone be positive that TRIM is so important and that Garbage collection degrades the drives. I haven't even seen a test to show proof of which bench mark show's a SSD true marks, everyone give's a different report.

We have seen so many post's about TRIM and it's importance, but no proof, they should shut up until they prove it.

I have two vertex 3's that I have beaten to death, no TRIM for months, secure erased 100 times, installed OS's 80 times, have erased and reinstalled just to try new OROM's, BIOS, drivers, benched so many times I have no clue and still have such close marks as the day they were bought.
              Last edited by odiebugs; 08-06-2013, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by odiebugs View Post

Now why would I be mad odie, that makes no sense to me...

I know you tend to skim through posts, and I tend to ramble, so a bad combination. You are right of course, you can get TRIM to work on X79 boards, I thought I made it clear it does not work with the official, non-modded BIOS, etc. To me, official means the standard, by Intel's rules (constraints), and the modded BIOS is not official in that sense. You even quoted the chipset IDs I mentioned to make it work (2826, 2822) within a modded BIOS.

If I did post an incorrect statement, I would hope you would correct... no, educate me about that, since that is what counts.

Comment

Hello
                  i bought 2009 AMD Athlon X3 435 CPU and Asrock M3A785GM and Unlock to Phenom 4 Core worked well.
                  But now M3A785GM is defect and i bought Asrock 890 extreme3 and activated Asrock UCC but unlock didnt work with this mainboard.
                  I tried with newest Bios Firmware and oldest Bios but didnt work.
                  any idea?

Comment

2 weeks ago I asked a question about a problem I'm having with a ASRock Z77 PRO4 and still got no answer. To reply to an e-mail takes that long ... It's the kind of product do not buy more.
                    I heard of Asrock good, however tech support lacking. I can not trust a company that wants of its opinion on this problem.
                    I do not know if I'll have this punishment po, just wanted the company to respect their customers.
                    I live in Brazil and here things are complicated for support questions. I thought just in Brazil there were companies like this. I really hope to be wrong.

Sorry everyone, there is no other way to say something about my problem, since the company if one wants the satisfaction to their customers.

Here is my dissatisfaction with technical support from Asrock.

sry....

Comment

Welcome to the forum.

Please create a new thread in the ASRock forum where we can help you.

Give your thread a title that includes a brief description of the problem, such as Z87 Extreme4 Won't Boot and describe any problems that you are having and what steps you have tried to fix the problem.
                      Be sure to include a detailed hardware list for all of the hardware in your system.

If you have any questions you can send me a Private Message (PM).
                      Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
                      P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
                      4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
                      MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
                      Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
                      WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
                      Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
                      SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
                      Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
                      Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
                      Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
                      MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
                      Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                      win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
                      HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
                      CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
                      E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                      Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                      Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                      HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                      win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Hello EveryOne,

I like Little Information here. I Want To Buy Asrock B75 Pro3 -M Motherboard And I have Intel Cro 2 Duo 2.0 Ghz E4400 Processors. So Will This Processor In This Motherboard. If Not The please Recommend Motherboard For Processor In Same Price Range And Feature.

Comment

Thank you ASRock Technical Support.

Comment

I think this motherboard is messed up. In my 20 years of building pc's I have never experienced anything like this. My bios clock runs fine as it should. When I install win 7 x64 when it comes to putting in your time zone from the list. I noticed the second hand on the clock moving very fast. Approx 19secs for 1 min. It installs Win 7 pro fine no errors . So i used the drivers on a disk. My audio driver will not install. High Definition Audio Controller ( yellow exclamation mark ) This device cannot start. (Code 10). So no audio whatsoever. The Windows system clock is still doing 19 secs for 1 min rather then 60 sec. When watching videos or any gaming they speed up 3-4 times fast then should. I am not talking about FPS. Real time. Note: I have updaaaated the bios also and went to asrock website and downloaded and updated the drivers.

I have tried 3 different Operating systems win 7, win 8, and Vista / 3 different hard drives/ 3 different video cards, and also different sticks of ram. No matter what I do it does the same thing. i just purchased this from Newegg. And i am greatly disappointed of my first Asrock experience.

Here is the list of the hardware I just purchased
                            i7-4770k
                            Asrock z87 Extreme 6
                            G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-1866C9D-16GSR

also with a
                            G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9S-4GBXL

the pc boosts extremely fast.

--------------------------------------
                            I have 2- Evga GTX 590 Classifieds, Evga GTX 560ti, Corsair AX1200, 2-1tb western digital black edition hdds, Kingston HyperX 120gb ssd

I NEED HELPPPPPPPPPPP . Also if i dont push each key down slowly it does thissssss.

Comment

Originally posted by addictedz View Post
                              I think this motherboard is messed up. In my 20 years of building pc's I have never experienced anything like this. My bios clock runs fine as it should. When I install win 7 x64 when it comes to putting in your time zone from the list. I noticed the second hand on the clock moving very fast. Approx 19secs for 1 min. It installs Win 7 pro fine no errors . So i used the drivers on a disk. My audio driver will not install. High Definition Audio Controller ( yellow exclamation mark ) This device cannot start. (Code 10). So no audio whatsoever. The Windows system clock is still doing 19 secs for 1 min rather then 60 sec. When watching videos or any gaming they speed up 3-4 times fast then should. I am not talking about FPS. Real time. Note: I have updaaaated the bios also and went to asrock website and downloaded and updated the drivers.

I have tried 3 different Operating systems win 7, win 8, and Vista / 3 different hard drives/ 3 different video cards, and also different sticks of ram. No matter what I do it does the same thing. i just purchased this from Newegg. And i am greatly disappointed of my first Asrock experience.

Here is the list of the hardware I just purchased
                              i7-4770k
                              Asrock z87 Extreme 6
                              G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-1866C9D-16GSR

also with a
                              G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9S-4GBXL

the pc boosts extremely fast.

--------------------------------------
                              I have 2- Evga GTX 590 Classifieds, Evga GTX 560ti, Corsair AX1200, 2-1tb western digital black edition hdds, Kingston HyperX 120gb ssd

I NEED HELPPPPPPPPPPP . Also if i dont push each key down slowly it does thissssss.
                              You really should have made a new post instead of posting it in here. You would get more help.

Did you update BIOS, and what OS are you running right now, and did you install UEFI or BIOS ?

P.S> this is probably a windows problem not a MOBO.

Have you tried this-

run the following command in a elevate privileges cmd window.

net stop w32time
                              w32tm /unregister
                              w32tm /register
                              regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\w32time.dll
                              w32tm /config /manualpeerlist:time.windows.com,0x4 /syncfromflags:MANUAL
                              net start w32time
                              Last edited by odiebugs; 10-19-2013, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by atulvij89 View Post
                                Hello EveryOne,

I like Little Information here. I Want To Buy Asrock B75 Pro3 -M Motherboard And I have Intel Cro 2 Duo 2.0 Ghz E4400 Processors. So Will This Processor In This Motherboard. If Not The please Recommend Motherboard For Processor In Same Price Range And Feature.
                                NO, you can't put a socket LGA 775 into a socket LGA 1155. The socket needs to match the CPU.

P.S. Not trying to be rude, but every MOBO MFG has a website, and they have a list for CPU, memory, which is compatible. Find a mobo and check the support lists before you buy things and try sticking them together.

Here are the only two MOBO (motherboards) you can use. G41M-VS3 R2.0, G31M-GS R2.0, with that CPU.

If you could, you should get the ASRock H81M LGA 1150 around 59.00, and get a Intel Pentium G3420 Haswell, 86.00 now you have Sata 3, and win 8.1 compatible, plus way faster then the E.
                                Last edited by odiebugs; 10-19-2013, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X