clean install with upgrade disk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clean install with upgrade disk?

Can I do a clean install of xp with an upgrade disk? I only have an oem verson of 98se. I don't want to put 98se in first. I did an upgrade at first because I was waiting for mobo and cpu. Any help would be appreciated. :confused: Thanx Ed

I think that the upgrade looks for a previous install of windows before it allows you to install WinXP, but you can always try. Just set your BIOS to use the CD as the first boot device and give it a go.

You should, of course, back up any important data first. :)

Let us know how it goes.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Darth, I read somewhere that you can do a clean install with an upgrade disk, but it will ask you for your 98 cd during the install to verify that you qualify for the upgrade and not the full install. I also read that it sometimes doesn't work with an oem version of 98. Well one way to find out. Thanx Ed on me

Comment

A direct quote from Microsoft's page Upgrade Advice, Known Issues, and Answers

Q: Can the Windows XP upgrade version be installed on a clean hard drive?

A: Yes. Insert the Windows XP upgrade CD, and start Setup if necessary. When prompted, click Install Windows. At the Welcome to Windows Setup window, choose the installation type New Installation (Advanced). Click Next, and follow the instructions. Setup will prompt you to insert a valid CD containing your earlier version of Windows as proof that you qualify for the upgrade.

So there you have it - from Saint Bill himself
        The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

OK Mr. C. We have to take uncle Bill's :geek: at his word. Yeh right! Why start now. Glad I misunderstood the oem thing. I don't
          feel like spending another $200 when I've got the upgrade cd.
          Thanx Ed

Comment

As long as it's a legitimate OEM disk, then it should work. Otherwise, there would be a lot of folks out there who would be out of luck. Uncle Bill may be greedy, but I don't think he's outright stupid. That would be cutting his throat.

Nice to know about the clean install though. That's a nice tidbit of info. :D
            Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
            My Toys

Comment

:) I've installed many an operating system using an upgrade version and a 'backup' of an earlier OS...

Comment

Etrix, I think there are two ways mentioned in this thread about installing XP with the upgrade CD. I've just done both ways this week. Like someone said, you can run the setup from within an existing windows or just boot off the upgrade CD and wipe everything out and install from scratch. It will prompt you to insert any qualifying windows CD to continue. I know that 98, Me and 2000 was mentioned. I thought I saw 95 in there as well, but I could be mistaken.

Have a good day.

Mozez

Comment

I don't believe Win95 is acceptable to the XP upgrade version, Uncle Bill doesn't like it when you don't get all his new stuff:eek:
                  The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Windows XPe can use Win95--Win98--WinME--WinNT4.0

Windows XP Professional can use all above plus Win2k

For Win2k and WinXP Home you can only use WinXP Pro

I am pretty sure I got that right.

Comment

Well, now I'm confused. These two pages at M$
                      http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p...ing/matrix.asp
                      and
                      http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/h...ing/matrix.asp
                      indicate Win95 is not eligible for upgrade to either version of XP. (as was indicated on the product boxes I have read)

But in the MSKB there are several questions concerning upgrades from Win95...........

What's up with that??

Comment

Well Mr. C, there is definitely something wrong with the info on that link. Might I venture to say the same about the 'official' qualifying products in general. It says that you can't upgrade the XP Home edition from Windows 2000 professional, but during my installation it asked for any previous qualifying products, and win2k was listed as one of them. Sure enough, I inserted my OEM Win2k CD and it took it.

I haven't tried upgrading an existing windows 2000 setup to XP with the Home Ed, and maybe that's where the rule applies. I usually wipe the HD clean and start from scratch. In that scenario, almost all previous windows CDs apply. I will try tonight with 95 to confirm/deny it's eligibility.

Mozez

Comment

Mr. C----and others

You cannot upgrade from Win95 but a Win95 CD can be a
                          proof that you can do a clean install with a qualifying product.
                          Been there --done it.

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up xpadvisor - it makes sense the way you put it:thumb:

Comment

makes sense

i fail to see why someone would still be using win95 to upgrade it in the first place if there computer is capable of running XP..

Comment

Working...
                              X