clean install with upgrade disk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can...

Our networked system uses Win95 for the PCs hooked up to it. It has to do with IT folks who don't want to learn a new OS, but want to limit the functionality of a computer. So it is possible to have a Win95 system and upgrade to XP. And it looks like we may finally be able to dump Win95 soon on our system and go with XP. Here's hoping that it changes!
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

IT people that don't wanna learn a new OS? most IT people I know jump at the chance to upgrade.. Usually so they can have more fun with new features themselves.. Hmm.. when am I gonna upgrade to XP at work.. haven't got anything scheduled tomorrow.. :)

But then again, in business it costs to upgrade OS's all the time.. that's something that I don't really think about.. My work place has an MLA (microsoft licensing agreement) where we can install any version of Windows or Office (both pre-XP) as many times as needed.... which is handy

Comment

The IT ppl who work on the PC's at work think Win 95 on 300MHz Celerons with 32MB of ram are more than enough even when they set the bloody things up to open 27 apps at startup.
        <center> </center>

Comment

i wonder if u can do the old point it back to itself trick that u can do with office upgrade
          http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

Originally posted by Darthtanion
            I can...

Our networked system uses Win95 for the PCs hooked up to it. It has to do with IT folks who don't want to learn a new OS, but want to limit the functionality of a computer. So it is possible to have a Win95 system and upgrade to XP. And it looks like we may finally be able to dump Win95 soon on our system and go with XP. Here's hoping that it changes!
            the reason for this is that it is bloody hard to try and support several different OS's (like we do at work win95, win98se, winNT, win2k & winXP - mine)
            so companies tend to do a mass migration to a different OS but this costs $$$$$ so it usually takes a while before they change over
            http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
              The IT ppl who work on the PC's at work think Win 95 on 300MHz Celerons with 32MB of ram are more than enough even when they set the bloody things up to open 27 apps at startup.
              <center> </center>
              I just boggle at people who have a system tray that stretches 1/2 way across to the Start button. I like to point out one and ask
              "What does that one do?".
              "I don't know."
              "Do you need it?"
              "It's there when you start the computer!"
              "Do you use it?"
              "It's there when I start the computer!"
              "Do you want it there?"
              "It's always been there!"
              "Why don't you get rid of it?"
              "It's always been there!"
              "Ummm - OK then."

Invariably followed up by -- "So can you tell me why my resources are so low?" Should I get more memory?" "It runs so slow?"
              The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

For some reason these blokes just don't understand anything but I find that Ctrl+Alt+Del comes in very handy as we're not allowed to tweak the systems.
                <center> </center>

Comment

Originally posted by Kheldar
                  so companies tend to do a mass migration to a different OS but this costs $$$$$ so it usually takes a while before they change over

Understood, but Win95 is over 5 years old! I don't think that it is asking too much to at least stay within the past couple of years or so.

Besides, our IT folks are running Win2k on their systems.
                  Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
                  My Toys

Comment

You would get a kick out of the place I work, still got the old "green" screens and F1-F22 Keys. But actually, it does get the job done.

And Windows -- NOT. The newest machine there is a 33Mhz (that's the one we punch in and out on) they spare no expense I tell you that
                    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Originally posted by Darthtanion
                      Besides, our IT folks are running Win2k on their systems.
                      *looks guilty*.......

Hehehe.. that's me. Whole campus - Win NT.. my machine - Win 2k.. :)

Comment

I tried to do exactly this with my Gateway version of W98SE. Here's what happened:
                        1) The XP Install procedure called for the WIN98 cd.
                        2) The XP procedure could not explore, read, utilize, legitimize, or do anything with Gateway's product- a licensed, clean cd.
                        3) Gateway's Tech Support told me it wasn't their problem.
                        4) Microsoft's Tech Support said, "No problem. You just have to enter the key number when called for."
                        5) Forty-five minutes later he came back and admitted only a Microsoft branded cd would work. (The pgm has no place for the user to enter a key number.)
                        6) Three hours later his supervisor agreed to ship me a WIN98SE cd directly from Microsoft- to arrive in two weeks.
                        7) Five hours later they agreed to ship it to arrive in three days.
                        8) Three days later I received a full version of WIN XP from Microsoft, no charge.

The bottom line is this: each OEM has done their own thing with the OS cds they supply you. Microsoft has no guidelines for the OEMs and has also failed- completely- to make the upgrade version useable with the vast majority of OS cds in use. Where this is going to leave users and Microsoft down the road remains to be seen.

Comment

**** don't let Bill find out or he'll have a fit. :D

Comment

Working...
                          X