XP Slow to run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP Slow to run

After restart-Desktop appears-Clink on (Start) opens fine- It appears that as soon as windows needs hard drive it goes into a 2 min wait- I get an hourglass icon and then wait for hard drive light then everything works correctly for days until I have to restart and then I wait again. what can cause this -Ultra DMA mode 5 is set in properties

have u gone through all ur startup stuff?

msconfig and see what all runs on bootup - lose what you don't need

maybe there's some services you have running that you don't need as well

Comment

umm.. XP doesn't come with an MSCONFIG utility, does it? you can download one somewhere though...

Comment

yeah XP does, but 2k doesnt
        SileNceR, Messenger of the Dark and the Night. To post quality, or not to post at all, THAT is the Question - Never again ask what can my post count do for me besides increasing my ego, but instead ask what can I do to help someone else!
        Overclockers Melbourne (http://www.ocmelbourne.com).

Comment

sorry.. my mistake.. :) Thanks silencer...

Comment

virus maybe buggy

Comment

how much ram do you have cause if you only have a small amount (128 meg or less) it take a long to be ready for action when u frist start it
              http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

I have 512 DDR ram win XP ECS K7S5A 64 NVidia Ultra 40ghard drive sound blaster live value Its only slow to start the first time after reboot 2min. Example-- Push start open control panel push performance maintance -push system open hardware-push device manager pause 2min hard drive light activates then works like a champ for days until reboot I can live with it but why?

Comment

Very strange as No.1 son has basically the same setup but it boots pretty quickly. :?:
                  <center> </center>

Comment

Originally posted by Beefy
                    sorry.. my mistake.. :) Thanks silencer...
                    peeps not capitalising my name... sheeesh.... its only 3 letters!

there are thousands of silencers and SilenceRs and Silencers and SILENCERs out there, but AFAIK only the one SileNceR... its an individual name - keep it that way.... please :)
                    SileNceR, Messenger of the Dark and the Night. To post quality, or not to post at all, THAT is the Question - Never again ask what can my post count do for me besides increasing my ego, but instead ask what can I do to help someone else!
                    Overclockers Melbourne (http://www.ocmelbourne.com).

Comment

I had exactly the same issue, when XP booted I got the desktop then it stopped, I could initiate applications but they would not start i.e. I could see them on the task manager but there were not moving. What I did was to start up the service monitor at startup (run from the startbar services.msc) (fortunately this did run) and checked to see which services were starting, from that I could see that a service was in starting mode for a loooonnnnng time. In my case it was Microsoft's Background Intelligent Transfer service (BITS) which I subsequently disabled using services.msc, after which XP starts at a gallop :thumb:

Comment

There was some scuttlebut going around that the copy protection on XP wouldn't actually crash the system if it detected a copy...it would just slow thing down to an unbearable extent.......it happened with an "evaluation" version given to a friend of mine me by some filthy swine...of course he destroyed it .........:D :D :D

Might be crap but??

Comment

This is not a slowdown, its a pause after windows is fully loaded. My hard drives won't access for a 2 minutes but once they operate then all is well. Everything then runs great until I reboot then I wait again.

Comment

Mine does the same thing. I just assumed it was life in the XP lane. Unlike Murin, I can't even get to the Start menu to run services.msc until XP completes whatever it is doing on startup, but I disabled BITS as he suggested, but that didn't help me. Some programs do run immediately, though, like Netscape. I'd be interested to know if this is normal startup, because it is sometimes annoying to have to wait if something can be tweaked to avoid it.

Comment

Originally posted by SileNceR

peeps not capitalising my name... sheeesh.... its only 3 letters!

there are thousands of silencers and SilenceRs and Silencers and SILENCERs out there, but AFAIK only the one SileNceR... its an individual name - keep it that way.... please :)
                              sorry silencer... :rolleyes:

Comment

Working...
                              X