Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by [size=7
    acheyenne[/size]]
    I'd be interested to know if this is normal startup, because it is sometimes annoying to have to wait if something can be tweaked to avoid it.
    It most definately isn't normal as both the K6-3+ and Athlon here boot very quickly into XP. :?:
    <center> </center>

Comment

It does boot very quickly to the desktop, and I can immediately run Netscape, for example, and go happily to the internet or my email. But Windows Explorer, for example, will not start for a minute or so, until XP gets done doing whatever it's up to. Same with getting to the Start menu, so I can't run services.msc to see what the heck is holding it up.

Is yours fully functional as soon as the desktop comes up?

Comment

Yes everything is. All apps and the network. ;)

Comment

Acheyenne,

You could try bootvis it shows what is running as XP initialises and may indicate what is holding you up.

I point you to this web page because it has a link to the app and gives quite a good description of its usage.

the site may also have other useful ideas

Regards and good luck

:cheers: Murin

Comment

Thanks, Murin.

I'll give it a try and report back if I find out something that might be helpful to others with this problem..

Best regards,

acheyenne

Comment

By chance, have you disabled MS Messenger from running at start up? I had a similar experiece when I first loaded XP Pro. XP knows I have a NIC and creates a LAN connection. I'm just guessing, but if Messenger is started up and XP thinks the PC has a LAN connection already, then it might be trying to use your network connection (which may not exist yet, so this is going to cause some wait states) to set up your Messenger service.

As soon as I went to the messenger icon in the System Tray and selected don't start Messenger on start up, then on my next restart, it came right up.

Don't know, might help,
              dagger

Comment

to disable MS messenger just run MSconfig - on the startup tab you'll see MSMSGS - untick it

here's another alternative too

Comment

dagger & wuntvor,

Yay!!! Thanks, you guys are on the right track! I disabled Messenger in XP services, (and also had to actually rename the folder as per wuntvor's link). I also set SNMP services to manual. Something in this combination has reduced the time for full boot by at least 30 seconds. After the desktop appears, there's still about 8 or 10 seconds of thrashing around before the start menu becomes available, but it's a huge improvement.

Thanks for your insights.

Comment

good to hear acheyenne :thumb:

Comment

acheyenne just as a thought, how much memory do you have? :?:
                      <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

512 PC2100 DDR 2-2-2

Asus A7V266-E
                        Athlon 1900+
                        (2) IBM 40GB ATA100 in RAID 0
                        GeForce3 TI 500 (23.11 drivers)
                        XP Home Full Install

Comment

Well lack of is not a prob then. :smokin:

Comment

Working...