Drive throughput issues in Win 7 Pro 64bit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive throughput issues in Win 7 Pro 64bit

Hi - this is a cross post form the storage area, but I thought maybe someone in here could help as well.

I have an ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 mobo running 3x1TB drives. Two of the drives are WD Black (7200 RPM) and one is a Seagate Barracuda (7200 RPM).

I have noticed that my 2nd and 3rd drive (basically D: and E:) throughput is much lower than my primary drive (C:).

The thing is that my "C:" drive and "D:" drive have the same specs (WD). If I move a file from either D: or E: ro C: I get an average of 70-80 mb/sec, if I move from any drive to either D: or E: I get 25MB average (which is WAY low).

I checked indexing and it is disbaled. What else could be causing this? Any thoughts or suggestions? OS is Win 7 Pro 64bit.

Thanks

Rob
    Rob
    http://www.robertocerini.com
    i7 920 @ 3.40GHz
    ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
    Antec P180 Case
    Antec True Power PSU (650w)

Windows 7 Professional 64bit

Re: Drive throughput issues in Win 7 Pro 64bit

if they are partitioned differently, that can affect it. Also if the 100mb windows partition from an old installation is left on a drive it significantly decreases speed in my experience.

Try run a full checkdisk over night of the HDD that is slow, might be damaged fileparts from unclean shutdown etc, and generally not a bad idea to do now and then.

A defrag can also help a lot, special when the drive is fuller (that goes for both source and target), if it isn't set to do it automatic.

Just a couple of ideas. Another idea would be to try the exchange the SATA cable they are attached with, just to see if it makes any difference. There are a couple really bad cables out there. Made a world of a difference (20 to 100mbit transfer rate) when I switched in one of my systems a while ago.
    My advice - never visit a short-url, no matter who gives it to you. You can't trust any source at any time when you don't know your target
    Whitey:Snuggles: Zotac Zbox HD-ID40 (Atom d525, worst purchase ever on cpu), Patriot Pyro 60GB (Thanks to Tweaktown Giveaway), 4GB 800' DDR2 SO-DIMM
    Bcube (NAS): ASUS F1A75-I Deluxe, AMD A6-3500 @ 2.1GHz, LSI 9240-8i (M1015) controller, GSkill Ares 1866 8GB blue kit, 4x Seagate SV35.5 2TB, 1x Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB, 1x Samsung HD103UJ, 1x Samsung F4 2TB, Temp. Rebel9 Alu case, Corsair H60, 2x Icy Dock MB973SP-B, NZXT UI01, Enermax T.B. Silence on docks and cpu, Aurum 500W gold PSU. (Draws 65W average, doesn't peak above 100W at any time)

Comment

Working...
    X