Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NTFS Drives

Hey, do you all recommend using an NTFS partition for windows XP

If ya usin' solely XP then yes but if ya usin' a dual boot with a Win9x os then FAT 32 maybe a better way to start with some both os's can share files. :smokin:
    <center></center>

Comment

yeah...exactly what wiggo said...im not dual booting...well i am but with 2k, so NTFS is good...i like how you can set security for certain users...so i can restrict the Guest account to some of my folders :) So pretty much, if your not dual booting with 9x then yes, you should:)
      At the request of wiggo ;)

Comment

Silly question since I'm a NTFS newb...
        Will it still copy files to a CD that can be read by a Win9x system? Or will it only be usable on another NTFS compatible system?
        Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
        My Toys

Comment

nah the files are fine...it converts them to some readable format that all windows can read...:thumb:

Comment

ntfs rules
            just that win9x can't see them and it sometimes may hang on boot trying to look for a drive it can't read...lol

ntfs is fast too:)

Comment

but you can download a program that builds itself into 98 as a service and allows you to view NTFS Partitions like a normal FAT32...supposedly runs pretty good...haven't seen it run myself..any care to test it? oh btw, if anyone wants the link, ill post it later when im on my box coz im @ school atm...

Comment

Yeah Kheldar pointed me to 2 such programs (and he'd know what works and what doesn't) but as I'm new to it (and thankfully because of 1 of my nics) decided to go just with FAT32 so both os's can share programs and files and if XP causes me any probs I have SE as the back up. ;)
                <center></center>

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
                  Yeah Kheldar pointed me to 2 such programs (and he'd know what works and what doesn't) but as I'm new to it (and thankfully because of 1 of my nics) decided to go just with FAT32 so both os's can share programs and files and if XP causes me any probs I have SE as the back up. ;)
                  <center></center>
                  Yeah, that's pretty much what I have done as well Wiggo - the first four partitions of my hard drive are FAT32, so that in both 98SE and XP my drive letters are all the same, et cetera, then I have a final 'Secure' partition (Z:) that has seperate folders set up so that only certain users can access them.

Comment

Mines a little different with 4 partitions C:\ being SE, D:\ being XP with the shared files on both E:\ and F:\ . ;)
                    <center></center>

Comment

C:\ = Windows 98 SE (FAT32)
                      D:\ = Windows XP Professional (FAT32)
                      E:\ = SwapDrive (FAT32)
                      F:\ = Data (FAT32)
                      G:\ = CD-ROM (N/a :p)
                      Z:\ = Secure (NTFS)

Comment

seeings as every1's postin their drives, thought id post mine :)

C:\ = XP (NTFS)
                        D:\ = Swaps (FAT32)
                        E:\ = 2K Pro (FAT32, gonna convert over to NTFS sometime)
                        F:\ = All other stuff (NTFS)
                        G:\ = Burner

Comment

i'll follow like a lost sheep :D

A:\ = Floppy(deeeeerrrrrrr!)
                          C:\ = winxp + programs (FAT32)
                          D:\ = all my other ****e (NTFS)
                          E:\ = CD Burner
                          F:\ = CD Drive
                          TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

Darth, files on any CD are in the 'CDFS' filesystem format. Readable from any version of windows/Mac/Linux/misc OS
                            It doesnt matter what type of filesystem the source files come from, they end up CDFS when they reach the seedy-rom

Heres a quick rundown of the benefits/differences of NTFS and FAT32:

NTFS Filesystem:
                            Recommended minimum volume size is approximately 10 megabytes (MB).
                            Volumes much larger than 2 terabytes (TB) are possible.
                            Cannot be used on floppy disks.
                            File size limited only by size of volume.
                            A computer running Windows XP or Windows 2000 can access files on an NTFS partition. A computer running Windows NT 4.0 with Service Pack 4 or later might be able to access some files. Other operating systems allow no access.

FAT32:
                            Volumes from 512 MB to 2 TB.
                            In Windows XP, you can format a FAT32 volume up to 32 GB only.
                            Does not support domains.
                            Access is available only through Windows 95 OSR2, Windows 98, Windows Millennium Edition, Windows 2000, and Windows XP.

As you can see- If you deal with large files (eg- dvd rippin) the NTFS filesystem is better suited to this task. It is also less prone to fragmentation, and very secure. However- this security can be a real pain in the arse when you really wanna acess something without any hassles.

Anyway, my HDD setup is as follows:

C: WinXP Pro (NTFS)
                            D: Games/Whatever storage (FAT32)
                            E: 4.3gig DVD rip storage (NTFS)
                            F: DVD-ROM (CDFS/DVD Formats)
                            E: CDRW (CDFS)

Comment

i personally can NOT see the point in not making your system partition NTFS, as system security problems can (and have...for my short tests) occur. if you claim to want to be able to dual boot a 9x and an NTx os, then the best recommendation i can give is to use 3 partitions minimum with a caresay C=9x(FAT32), D=NTx(NTFSx), E=Data(FAT32).

My configuration that i use is (given that drive letters are bloody well configurable, i see no point in stating the drive names):

Disk 0 (0): Win2k (NTFS)
                              Disk 0 (1): Win2KS (NTFS)
                              Disk 0 (2): LINUX swap (SWAP)
                              Disk 0 (3): DATA (FAT32)
                              Disk 1 (0): MUSIC (FAT32)

just so you know, i changed "Disk 0 (1)" from the original win98, to RedHat, to winXP, and now to win2ks (preparing for MorBius), all with my current win2k sitting as an NTFS volume the whole time...

Comment

Working...
                              X