X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"restrict the Guest account to some of my folders "

i think you mean from accessing not TO

"...it converts them to some readable format that all windows can read..."

all cds are burnt in an ISO standard format, using different joliet formats and can be read by all os' including Linux, Unix and Mac, OS2 and all versions of windows and dos... although long filenames might be a problem.
    Hence .iso cd images.

"just that win9x can't see them and it sometimes may hang on boot trying to look for a drive it can't read"

my 98 install runs fine just the drive letters are a bit different - you will see an explanation to why a little below (and if u only make ur xp or 2k partition ntfs it doesnt matter, and just protects special files like your SAM password records)

"that builds itself into 98 as a service and allows you to view NTFS Partitions like a normal FAT32"

no such thing as a service in windows 9x, it would be run in the background, as well as being prone to crashes (hello data loss) and probably losing out on the security features you use NTFS for in the first place, and having this extra "service" running and playing a game off an NTFS partition would cause unparrelleled load on your system, thing, the game AND the program open active at the same time, lots of disk and ram access by BOTH.... they would be competing for resources, and again more prone to crashing...

" do you all recommend using an NTFS partition for windows XP"

since the question is "partition for XP" i see no reason why you SHOULDNT, if you install all programs into fat32 partitions for ease of access by other os' such as linux and win9x you should have no problems (unless you dont have any other os' in which case just NTFS is fantastic.)

I agree with sks on this one:

"system security problems can (and have...for my short tests) occur. if you claim to want to be able to dual boot a 9x and an NTx os, then the best recommendation i can give is to use 3 partitions minimum with a caresay C=9x(FAT32), D=NTx(NTFSx), E=Data(FAT32)"

and for my devices:

a: - floppy (1.44mb :P)
    c: win98 (3gb)
    d: swaps (1gb)
    e: executables (28gb)
    f: files/music (28gb)
    g: downloads (11gb)
    h: winXP (3gb)
    i: slot load cdrom (max 700mb)
    j: 8x4x32x cdrw (sony crx140e) (max 700mb)
    k: win98old (2.5gb)
    l: swapsold (2.5gb)
    m: 45gbdata1 (17.5gb)
    n: 45gbdata2 (17.5gb)
    o: oldXP (3gb)

however, in win98 the drives are swapped as follows:

a=a
    c=c
    k=d
    d=e
    e=f
    f=g
    g=h
    l=i
    m=j
    n=k
    i=l
    j=m

the two NTFS partitions disappear (h: and o:)
    cdroms goto the end
    the old c: being a primary partition is put second (its the primary partition second drive) because of the way 98 works:

Primary Partition (Primary master)
    Primary Partition (primary slave)
    Primary partition (secondary master)
    Primary Partition (secondary slave)
    Extended [logical drives] (primary M)
    Extended [logical drives] (primary S)
    Extended [logical drives] (secondary M)
    Extended [logical drives] (secondary S)

so watch out for this if u dual boot, put all ntfs partitions at the end of ur drive and if u have more than one hdd arrange the drive letters in XP to reflect how they would appear in 9x as they cannot be changed in 9x but can in xp... do this when you start so programs dont have trouble looking at the wrong drive (as i myself have looking for downloads in 9x on drive g: when it is really f and i want g: which is now h:....)

grr :)
    SileNceR, Messenger of the Dark and the Night. To post quality, or not to post at all, THAT is the Question - Never again ask what can my post count do for me besides increasing my ego, but instead ask what can I do to help someone else!
    Overclockers Melbourne (http://www.ocmelbourne.com).

Comment

woah...now thats a post!! hehehe! :thumb:
      At the request of wiggo ;)

Comment

well considering I put 40 minutes into it you better take the time to read it..
        SileNceR, Messenger of the Dark and the Night. To post quality, or not to post at all, THAT is the Question - Never again ask what can my post count do for me besides increasing my ego, but instead ask what can I do to help someone else!

Comment

ooooh, lets see...admin...delete...what post?

HAHA j/k

but you know i could do it and blame the abnormal atmospheric conditions caused by the exiocentric movements of several layers within the earths crust..

it HAS happened to others before

Comment

That would suck.
            Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
            My Toys

Comment

Unless you're dual booting with a non-NT OS (win9x,3.x, Unixes) go with NTFS. It provides better protection.

Example: we've all had the power go down on us during a storm, right? Usually, NTFS doesn't need to be checked afterwards. Why? It's the way NTFS was designed, with a higher fault-tolerance. FAT32 will almost always be checked in the even of recovery after power failure.

Comment

Oh, BTW, if it's across a network, it doesn't have any effect--or at least shouldn't have one.

Comment

i suggest you google "NTFS" and windows NT security and advanced sharing then come back and share your little so called "gems"* of wisdom Morgan lander...

*gems are synonymous with little peices of ****

Comment

Working...
                  X