No announcement yet.

Have XP pro now, is it worth upgrading to Vista 64bit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have XP pro now, is it worth upgrading to Vista 64bit?

I have been using XP pro since it came out and its been the best OS I have used. I have never upgraded to vista 64, even though I am a big gamer, because I hear nothing but terrible things about it.

What I would like to know is, what is the terrible experience people are having with it, and is the problem for all users or just gamers or what?

And second, should I just wait for windows 7 coming soon? Only reason I ask is it usually takes like a year for microsoft to iron out tons of bugs when they first release an OS, and I dont want to wait for windows 7 and go buy it when it first comes out, just to find out there is major problems with it, just like when vista was first released. Then have to wait forever for a service pack to be released.

Thnx for the replys ^^
    Core 2 Quad Q9550 E0 step; OC @ 3.61Ghz (425x8.5) ~ stable
    Zalman CNPS8700
    Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P rev1.6 , BIOS FB
    4Gb Gskill 1066 (2x2) [ P K ] F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK @ 5-5-5-15 ~2.1v
    http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=57
    CoolerMaster HAF 922 mid-tower
    WD Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB (main)
    WDC 80GB WD800JD (backup)
    Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650w PSU
    BFG 8800 GTS 512
    Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic 7.1

Re: Have XP pro now, is it worth upgrading to Vista 64bit?

I'm not really sure what "terrible experience" people talk about when using Vista64. I've been happily using it for two years now and have yet to find any serious issues with it. Some of the problem that caused the big "Vista is Bad" thing was people trying to use underpowered systems that were already boarderline for running XP properly. Every now and then someone will mention program compatibility problems but I don't recall any. I use my computer for whatever I want: gaming, surfing, Photoshop, burning (movies/music, data, photos), online videos, banking, word processing, etc, etc, ... sometimes multitasking several of the above and very rarely have a problem.

Having said that ... I've already ordered a copy of Windows 7, Mostly because it will give me a good excuse to buy another hard drive and a new videocard and a new ...... well whatever hardware I can sneek past the wife......
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

Actually, a lot of the "Vista is Bad" press was due to program compatibility. I also had issues with the stupid UAC nag screens that came up all the time. This was the case with me and I tried Vista and soon dumped it. While Microsoft realized their blunder and began trying to solve some of the issues, I never went back.

As to the OP's question, as long as XP is still suiting your needs, I would wait for Windows7 to make an appearance. It has addressed most of the concerns of Vista haters and they have toned down UAC to a more acceptable level while still maintaining some safety features to help you from being made into a SPAMbot or similar. With the release of Windows7 coming soon, you can get into the fresher OS and still not have to worry about potential issues with Vista.
      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
      My Toys

Comment

Cool, I think I will just stick with XP pro for now till Win 7 comes out. So, is Win 7 supposed to be optimized for compatibility problems when it comes out like drivers, software/hardware that Vista had problems with?
        Zalman CNPS8700
        BFG 8800 GTS 512

Comment

x64 Vista Business user here and would never look back to XP and actually do not like Windows 7

Comment

Most of the compatibility problems were resolved in the RC versions that came out, so yes, issues should be minimized. And for those that aren't, I believe the Ultimate and the Business versions come with a XP mode, which if I understand it correctly, is an inbred VMware type setup that allows you to run older programs that don't play nicely with the Win7 core to work like it was on an XP box.

And yes LSD, I realize a lot of folks like Vista as it is now, but it lasted all of about a week on my systems before I rolled back to XP Pro. I have played with the final RC of Win7 and like the way it works, much more so than Vista.
            Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
            My Toys

Comment

Originally posted by Brigs View Post
              Cool, I think I will just stick with XP pro for now till Win 7 comes out. So, is Win 7 supposed to be optimized for compatibility problems when it comes out like drivers, software/hardware that Vista had problems with?
              it is a lot better than Vista was on release, why don't you dual boot RC1 to try it out?

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
              x64 Vista Business user here and would never look back to XP and actually do not like Windows 7
              Ha, sounds like the anti Vista camp during beta testing

You'll grow to love Win7 too

E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

Comment

As a power/large file user i'll admit that Vista just plain sucked when compared to XP Pro but with Win7 almost all of those problems have been fixed.

Gamers and Benchmarkers are the only ppl i found satisfied with Vista.
                Last edited by wayout44; 09-04-2009, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wayout44 View Post
                  Gamers and Benchmarkers are the only ppl i found satisfied with Vista.
                  That resembles me, right down to the scull

:D
                  E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

Comment

Quick question about new Win 7 64bit; Was wondering if all the benchmarking and tweaking tools that are posted in the Gigabyte forum will be able to be used in Win 7 64bit? Ones like Prime95, IBT, Memtest86+, Everest, LinX etc... Or are they going to heave to come out with new versions of all these programs to be compatible with Win 7 64bit? Cause I plan on getting Win 7 64bit when it comes out so was just wondering in advance.

thanx in advance
                    Last edited by Brigs; 09-23-2009, 12:53 AM.
                    Zalman CNPS8700
                    BFG 8800 GTS 512

Comment

Yes, you will be able to use those programs in windows 7 just fine

Comment

Wait for the Windows 7 itll be just few weeks dont upgrade on Vista Seven is the way to go ive been using W7 & a lot of drivers now are poppin up so no worries for that softwares & games too! Read some of the reviews! Ive been a XP user too & comparing to Vista Vista is a resource hogger! Windows 7 on my low rig is running very very smooth!

Comment

Working...
                        X