automatic updating problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• automatic updating problem

I am working on a computer, and I have not played with WinXP to know exactly how to fix it. The guy is always updating his computer. He has WinXP Home Edition and it is set to automatically update. For the last three days he has been unable to update.
    He clicks on update now and then a screen pops up saying "Windows update is downloading and installing the updated software." Then a couple of minutes later it comes back and says the exact same thing. He will do that over and over, and it just keeps repeating it. Microsoft help is worthless, I have spent about 2 hours looking for something that might work. I appreciate any help you guys can offer, I don't know anyone else who can help. Thanks a lot.

As a rule, I tend to turn off the automatic updates. They load up items that I may not want, and they are usually occurring at a very bad time... like when I'm in the middle of a frag-fest and start getting horrible lag (Thanks Auto-Update :( ).

To turn it off, just acknowledge the auto update pop-up and choose NEXT on the first screen. On the next screen that comes up, just choose the last option which will disable the Auto Update feature. Then just go to the Windows Update page about every week or so to get fixes for new security glitches. It also lets you choose which updates you want to install on the system.

It is also highly likely that by doing it manually, you will be able to successfully download and install the appropriate updates. :)
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

I told him to disable it, and manually install the ones that he needed/ wanted, but he said he liked it doing it automatically. I know I told him to try it manually, and it said that there were no current updates. It just has him worried, more than anything. I will go and look at the computer and see what more I can find out. Thanks for the help. :afro:

Comment

Is he using a legit copy of XP? I have heard if you used a leadked serial/keycode then you wont be able to take the updates. I don't know if this applies to your friend or not...but might be worth looking into.

Comment

I don't think that this particular feature has come into play yet. It's my understanding that it won't become an issue until the first Service Pack for XP is released sometime later this year.
          Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
          My Toys

Comment

Working...
          X