Installing XP home on a second machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing XP home on a second machine

Recently purchased XP home edition and installed into onto my older Dell. A few weeks ago I built a new system though, and switched some of the devices in the Dell over to the new machine. I know that XP registers the mac addresses of my hardware with MS to prevent piracy, so will this stop me from being able to put XP on my new machine? I thought maybe XP might recognize some of the recycled parts from the old system and let me slide.

If not, how can I get XP onto my new machine? Do I have to actually call up Microsoft about this? It's not as if I'm pirating software, I just upgraded to a new computer. Thanks for the help.

You'll have to be contacting M$. :(

Comment

Wow, that's ridiculous. Fortunately, XP didn't come with the Dell though. I bought the Dell in '99 and it came with win98. Just purchased XP seperately about a month and a half ago.

Comment

It's really only a formality so do sweat it. :smokin:

Comment

Yep... you'll just need to contact Microshaft and get a new activation code.

But now you see why I have an open license version. With all the component testing that I do, can you see having to reactivate the damn OS every other week at least?
          Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
          My Toys

Comment

Yeah that would definitely be a pain. How much did an open license cost you?

Will XP complain if I add/remove one or two devices and then reinstall?

Comment

The cost isn't that much lower than the retail, but the convenience of not having to activate the damn thing is well worth it.

As for the installations/activations, it depends on what you're installing or upgrading. As a rule, Microshaft says that you can install upwards of 5-6 components during a set period of time. But if you replace items like the NIC or the mainboard, it will force an immediate reactivation.
              My Toys

Comment

Don't you have to buy like 5 copies (plus media) under the open licence program?

Comment

Yes you have to purchase five licenses, but all five don't have to be for the WinXP OS. The end cost is about US$40 under retail.
                  My Toys

Comment

Working...
                  X