windows xp internet tweaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• windows xp internet tweaking

anyone know how to tweak winxp for maximum DSL proficiency?

http://www.tweaktown.com/document.ph...e=guide&dId=93
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

Speed up your browsing of Windows 2000 & XP machines. (This one works well, you can see the difference)

Here's a great tip to speed up your browsing of Windows 2000 & XP machines. Its actually a fix to a bug installed as default in Windows 2000 that scans shared files for Scheduled Tasks. And it turns out that you can experience a delay as long as 30 seconds when you try to view shared files across a network because Windows 2000 is using the extra time to search the remote computer for any Scheduled Tasks. Note that though the fix is originally intended for only those affected, Windows 2000 users will experience that the actual browsing speed of both the Internet & Windows Explorers improve significantly after applying it since it doesn't search for Scheduled Tasks anymore. Here's how :

Open up the Registry and go to :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/RemoteComputer/NameSpace

Under that branch, select the key : {D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF} and delete it.

This is key that instructs Windows to search for Scheduled Tasks. If you like you may want to export the exact branch so that you can restore the key if necessary.

This fix is so effective that it doesn't require a reboot and you can almost immediately determine yourself how much it speeds up your browsing processes.

Comment

The above trick works beautifully on my Windows 2000 Professional box

Thanks for that tip smokie :thumb:
        What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

that trick is actually in one of the winxp tweaking guides :p
          TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

Mr Tweak that link you gave me I already read the article but its for win9x and its of no use for me I went through the registry before using that article and alot of keys were missing cuase the NT registry is different then the 9x one..

Comment

Working...
            X