• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (HOW TO) Removing annoying WGA stuff from Windows XP

(HOW TO) Removing annoying WGA stuff from Windows XP

<o:p> </o:p>
    Microsoft has gotten smarter now with their Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) garbage that they are ramming down our throats. First it was simply not giving us access to programs like Anti Spyware and Windows Defender.

<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>

Thankfully there is a way to get rid of this crap from your PC. After some searching and browsing I have gotten a setup that works 100% with the current WGA patch Microshaft have put out – it’s just a two step process that just about anyone can follow.

This short guide will tell you how to remove the annoying screens!

Step 1: First restart your PC into safe mode and log into the administrator account or any account with administrator privileges. You then must access both the Windows\system32 and Windows\system32\dllcache folders. Under these two folders are a file called WGATray.EXE. You must delete this file from both directories. This is what Windows Loads at start up to pop up the balloons when your copy of XP is loaded.
    Step 2: Now we have gotten rid of the executables, we need to remove the reference to the program for Windows to try and load. You will need to run the regedit program (Start -> Run -> then type “regedit”) from the run menu. Once in you need to navigate to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ Windows NT\CurrentVersion\WinlogonNotify
    Once there you will see a folder called “WGALOGON”. This folder must be removed to prevent Windows XP even loading any of the DLL files associated with the WGA setup. Once you have managed this you can then restart you PC and no more of the annoying balloons, popups or timed login screens. This won’t get you around the access problems such as downloading files that aren’t for non genuine Windows versions, but there are no more annoying quirks to logging into your PC.

Last edited by amd_man2005; 06-20-2006, 09:53 AM.

Re: (HOW TO) Removing annoying WGA stuff from Windows XP

Thanks for the tip!
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

Correct you will NOT be allowed to get Windows Update alright.

Here is an alternative route to travel

http://www.softwarepatch.com

Top left hand side,you can get all of the same windows update this way.

Comment

Originally posted by MyGQ
        their Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) garbage that they are ramming down our throats
        Oh gosh!

Gee since you're stealing their software and all, who would have thought Microsoft might want to get to you to purchase it legally?

This guy's an idiot.

Comment

Alright for some clarification here. The newer version of WGA is an OPTIONAL update to install. You do not have to install it, I didn't and I don't get any messages nor have any problems still using Windows Update. And yes, I have the original WGA on my PC. So, they are not jamming WGA down our throats, in a sense of realism. I honestly have to agree WGA is a good idea in principle, as logn as MS takes care of those it wrongly considers illegal.

Comment

It's disappointing to see Tweaktown return to posting illegal stuff like this. Woulda though the activation bypass method they posted a few years back taught them about this sort of stuff but if the site deos anything to get traffic then I wont be coming back here....

Comment

THANKS IT FIXED MY OTHER COMP TO. who cares all they are doing is helping so shut up homer. Everyone has this stuff posted everywhere.

AM2 X2 4800+ OC to 2.80
              4gigs ddr800 xms2 corsair
              300 gig sata 2
              2 7950GTX2s running sli but NVIDIA HASNT RELEASED A DRIVER FOR THEM TOO WORK PROPERLY:(
              thermle take
              CREATIVE XFI
              ULTRA 550 watt psu x-connect

Comment

I could care less about fixing illegal copies of XP, but BURTON88, you are gonna need to OC that CPU to at least 3.2GHz before you can even think about easing the CPU bottleneck on those cards. And that PSU is woefully capable of powering such cards or your system when overclocked. You'd be better off selling one of those cards and getting a beefier power supply.
                GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
                Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
                Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
                PC P&C 500W PSU
                2TB Seagate
                Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Originally posted by homer
                  It's disappointing to see Tweaktown return to posting illegal stuff like this. Woulda though the activation bypass method they posted a few years back taught them about this sort of stuff but if the site deos anything to get traffic then I wont be coming back here....
                  Hardly illegal. I think you might find it so if you misunderstood what this were. This does not aid users with illegal copies of Windows from using any Microsoft software they aren't already using. It does allow them to function with less annoyance. It may be aiding them, but it is in no way illegal. The XP Professional corporate key generator that Tweaktown once had was illegal and Microsoft did convince Cam to remove it. This doesn't involve using any materials not found in Windows itself.

Comment

This practice falls in the grey area in my opinion. It's not really illegal to remove it, or disable it, since the latest installment is an optional update and not required anyway. Also its not like a base copy of WinXP has it, it's only something acquired by downloading and installing Service Pack 2.

Comment

casecutter

what do u mean i have to bottleneck my cpu its really good it should handle my graphic cards. And my psu is really goodit should handle it easily. well is it a good set up anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by BURTON88
                        casecutter

what do u mean i have to bottleneck my cpu its really good it should handle my graphic cards. And my psu is really goodit should handle it easily. well is it a good set up anyways.
                        I am not trying to say your setup is not good, it is much better than most. But to get those cards to work to their potential, you need to overclock your CPU alot. No stock CPU out right now can do it and even 90% of all overclocked CPU's could not handle them in SLI. As for your PSU, Ultra is not known for their quality and they are just not recommended by many people. Think of it this way, using a sub par PSU can take out alot of other parts when it dies and those PSU's are not meant for regular SLI, never mind Quad SLI. You need a PSU with alot more power. My PSU has 4 12V+ rails that add up to 55A and it is hardly up to the requirements for my system.
                        GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                        AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                        Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
                        Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
                        Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
                        PC P&C 500W PSU
                        2TB Seagate
                        Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

So i should return it and get a better psu probably. I qas thinking the same thing at first but the ytold me it would be perfect for my setup. DAMN LIERS but the only reason iam not OCing my cpu alot is becacause they havent released any decent cooling devices for the cpu yet. Iam waiting for water cooling or something just as good. Right now iam using zalman C9500 for it which is not for my processor its made for 939 so i had to mod that fan to work with my cpu. But it still keeps my temps from 40c idle and 52 full load. Which is crap. one other thing pisses me off is that i only get 8000 in 3dmark06 thats crap isnt it well i really dont know. But when i had my 7900 gtxs in sli i got a score of 8609. Which is good i think. THe reason i was thnking why my 7950gtx2's didnt get as high of a score was that nvidia hasnt realesed any drivers yet for my Video cards. BUt i dont think it make a big difference. What do u think

Comment

heh looks to me like some people really cant find the easy way to remove wga
                            go to system32 rename wga then delete done.
                            go to task manager end process done.
                            thats all
                            so many long ways to stop it working...........
                            and whats the deal anyway microsoft sucks
                            i'm staying with linux

Comment

offline wga check

Hi,

I've got another problem with wga. I downloaded a Language Interface Pack which did not require validation check.
                              When I want to install that language pack (offline) it says that my windows is not genuine and that I have to validate it first.
                              None of the recent workarounds do work. What could I do to prevent the installation package of checking wga?

Greets,
                              Less

Comment

Working...
                              X