How do I get rid of microsoft messenger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I get rid of microsoft messenger

How do I uninstall this obnoxious program?

I posted this before ...... a work around for deleting MS Messenger and a warning about how M$ will trick you into reinstalling it.....hmmmmm

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/24668.html

Comment

I removed the hide from the line in sysoc. I'll be damned - I can't find the prog in windows components when I try to take it out with Add/remove programs.

Help!!!

Comment

It there in the windows setup section......Just do what you've done then go into add/remove progs then into windows setup....you can uncheck the messenger there....it'll uninstall it.....reboot and it should be gone

Comment

that didnt work for me either, so in the end i just deleted the messenger folder from program files. all gone now ;)

Comment

Till the next M$ "patch"....I think that's what has happened to both your machines.....once the "new" patch is loaded it changes the way messenger is loaded and installed.....deleting the directory may have some consequences for Outlook Express I understand...........hey but if it works.......so much the better. I really deleted mine......i went to Linux

Comment

i never loaded the messenger update, i told it to piss off when it asked, and so far outlook express hasnt complained one bit about it not bein there

Comment

the way ive gotten rid of mine is just closed down MSN and renamed the folder, incase something went wrong i could just rename back...but i haven't and outlook has been fine...
                At the request of wiggo ;)

Comment

Good I hope the little beastie doesn't reappear at some future upgrade......the first method worked for me..... and I only read that there may be some performance degradation with OE....glad its OK for you........

Comment

I couldnt get it to uninstall from the add/remove section either, so I just nuked the folder.

As for OE dying, well, by all means- go ahead OE. I havnt opened it since installing XP. I use pocomail anyhow, doesnt run scripts and isnt subjectable to virii

and I use trillian to connect to the msn messenger network.

Comment

To get rid of Messenger, put this command in the "Run" window:

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

Comment

I don't see why you guys want to get rid of it all together. It's 2 MB and you can disable it so it's around when/if you need it.

If you simply open it and disable it starting with windows and all the other preferences it will leave you alone, but it will be around when you need it for OE and Hotmail.

Stop the MS bashing too. MS may make some stumbling programs that are too bulky and bloated, but they've made computers accessable to morons, which means that we all get software/hardware cheaper because of economies of scale. So thank MS for the proliferation of computers to morons, it always make things cheaper.:shoot3:

Comment

Corduroy... perhaps you'd like to tell this 'moron' how to disable it! It's always nice to have good manners when you post... don't you think?

Comment

If ya open Messenger then go to tool/options then to preferences and untick the 1st box from the top which is to start it with windows. There is also an option in Outlook Express in XP for also disabling it when opening Outlook. :smokin:
                            <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Thanks Wiggo... problem solved! :thumb:

Comment

Working...
                              X