No announcement yet.

Solve Genuine Windows Validation update issue.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Solve Genuine Windows Validation update issue.

If you're on Win XP SP1...

run windows update and get to the screen where it says "you don't have genuine software blah blah..."

Close your browser, and open it up again by going to windows update.

The first screen you should be presented with should say Express or Custom install.

This is where you paste javascript:void(window.g_sDisableWGACheck='all') into the address bar at the top then press Enter.

Now choose custom install.

I have just this second formatted and re-installed and this method works fine. There is no 'Manage Add ons' regardless of going to the Tools menu, or Tools > Internet Options > Programs in SP1, you're wasting your time looking for it.

If you've install a version of windows that includes SP2, then you can follow the 'Manage Add-ons' version to get round it.

Comment

That Manage add ons does not work any more. You can not "disable it" anymore. I can't anyway, but posting that Java script "DOES" work. I just did it.

Comment

I see this thread is alittle old... but anyway :)

A friend just send me an email:
        http://forums.tweaktown.com/archive/...p/t-20742.html

just tried to update windows and had to install a new validation tool. found the above link. used the javascript thing and works flawlessly. only problem is... I need to enter it in the url bar every time I want to update.... know of any other more permanent method???
        I responded with:
        You could bookmark it... well, kind of, IE sucks for this and make it a long proccess to create your own bookmark....
        I dont have this problem (i use the add-in option or what ever its called) so this is all off the top of my head, you will have to test it out once your done.

With IE go to google and add the google page to your favorite list...
        Now go to your favorite list and right click on the google entry and select Properties.
        In there (Web Document TAB) change http://google.com to javascript:void(window.g_sDisableWGACheck='all') , it will ask you are you sure or somthing about not being the corret protocal, just click OK or what ever will let you make the change.
        Now you can re-name the link by clicking the General TAB and keying what ever name you want.
        Thouhgt someone else might find this useful.

_

Comment

Originally posted by ThomsonMike
          Hi,
          I know that the Windows Validation update is uninstallable, so my question is: Does it change your bootup process at all? In order for my son to play some downloaded game, we had to install a dotnet fx program. It changed our bootup process by stopping at a password window. The password window had our account, a guest account, and some ASP account. We only had to click on our regular account to continue booting, but I just didn't want to have to do that everytime. Does the Windows Validation process cause anything like that to happen? I have also never ran the Windows sp2 pak either, because I've read that some software/programs have trouble running after that's installed. Any comments on that?
          Thanx!
          Mike
          This extra passworded account appears after installing the initial dot net framework. It goes away when you do the important dot net framework service packs by going back to windows update. As for not using sp2, modern gfx drivers meant for sp2(as of aug2005) can make the computer unstable and not function correctly when used with non sp2 xp. I suggest you get every available update from windows update.
          athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
          tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
          asus a7n8xe-dlx
          thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
          bfg 6800gt
          seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
          samsung dvdrw
          2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
          logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
          2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
          creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
          mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
          DFI infinity nf4 ultra
          thermaltake tsunami dream -black
          seagate sataII 500gb
          evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
          samsung sata dvd-rw
          2x1024 ocz black
          logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
          ocz fatal1ty 550w

Comment

This may be old news by now but you do know that you can uninstall the WGA software of course.

It's set in the registry not to show in the add/remove programs list but you can do a quick regedit and then simply uninstall it.
            Cheers
            JBD

Comment

Originally posted by redddevil
              This may be old news by now but you do know that you can uninstall the WGA software of course.

It's set in the registry not to show in the add/remove programs list but you can do a quick regedit and then simply uninstall it.
              Cheers
              JBD
              I've found WGA in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > MICROSOFT > UPDATES > WGA

but where do i go and what do i do here?

thnaks very much! Danny

Comment

http://www.p2plife.com/forums/Offici...Page-t320.html

It cant get easier than this. No DLL swapping, no Javascript pasting.

Comment

Just incase you get a Blue star notification there are some workarounds here. I'm sure there are more but I've heard the first one works fine and I'm guessing the rest might also.

http://labnol.blogspot.com/2006/04/w...n-genuine.html

And this is probably just as good if not better than Windows auto update anyway (Autopatcher). Google search if you don't want a BT involved.

http://www.autopatcher.com/

Comment

Would doing a system restore back to about April 20 undo the changes made by KB905474 ?

Comment

Originally posted by MIKEY13
                      Would doing a system restore back to about April 20 undo the changes made by KB905474 ?
                      Try it and let us know how it worked. I'd guess April 25th would be far enough back since I think they made the bug public on the 26th.
                      Just what everyone needs on their system, hidden software running in the backgroud of their OS doing useless checks even if your software is legit, what will they come up with next?

Comment

System restore no workie. I tried ending the wgatray.exe and it just starts right back up. I'll try some of the suggestions above.

Comment

Have tried several methods so far. The notifications disappear, but then the patch is reinstalled at next bootup. Automatic updates have ben turned off also. Any other suggestions ? The same goes for system restore. Patch is reinstalled after reboot.

Comment

Update---System restore did work. Automatic updates was turned off first. Then a system restore was done, which I guess turned ON automatic updates. You need to do the restore first, and then turn automatic updates OFF. Everything working good the past three days.

Comment

Originally posted by tatooedsn
                              System restore no workie. I tried ending the wgatray.exe and it just starts right back up. I'll try some of the suggestions above.
                              If you want to delete wgatray.exe here's a way to do it...

As you know you can't delete it because it's a running process. But when you end the process it starts right up again. So....

1) You need the system32 directory open with wgatray.exe selected.
                              2) Then open task manager very close by.

You need quick fingers here!

3) End the process and as fast as possible go to other window and hit delete and ok.

4) Then do a "file and folders" search and delete all entries to do with "WGA".

It takes a few attempts. I also cleaned my registry and deleted every entry to do with "WGA". Make sure you backup the registry beforehand!

Comment

Thank U Very Much

Comment

Working...
                                X