Connecting thru network error, slow shutdown fix, XP Tweaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting thru network error, slow shutdown fix, XP Tweaks

Firstly ill cover the networking error, this works the majority of the time but if not then start another thread & we will try & help u out...

Goto Control Panel & set it back to Classic View
    Open Admin Tools
    Open Local Security Policy
    Expand the Local Policies tab
    Select the User Rights Assignments
    On the right-hand side find the key "Deny access to this computer from the network"...if guest is in here then remove it
    Now find "Access this computer from the network" key & add Guest in here...if Everyone isn't in here then add it too.

when you install XP it doesn't enable the guest account for security reasons...sometimes even when you do enable this it still happens...

Now for the faster shutdown which has worked every time that ive seen...

Open up REGEDIT and goto "HKCURRENTUSER\Control Panel\Desktop\" and set the key "HungAppTimeout" to 5000(which is default) and make "WaitToKillAppTimeout"
    4000 (20000 is default).

Also, go to "HKLOCALMACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Contr ol\" and set the key "WaitToKillServiceTimeout" to 4000 too. That should make the shutdown complete in 4 secs.

Hope this all works!!! :thumb: :)

Edit: here is another tweak that i thought waz highly necessary...if you are trying to access another computer thru the network & it takes forever to load their files then this is what you need to do! open up regedit & goto HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> Software -> Microsoft -> Windows -> Explorer -> -> Remote Computer -> Name Space...
    Remove the {D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF} folder...

also another one...if you have QoS Packet Scheduler enabled then goto Run type in gpedit.msc....now expand the "local computer policy" branch...expand the "administrative templates" branch in the Computer Configuration branch...expand the "network branch"..select the QoS Packet Scheduler branch...now in the right window double click the limit reservable bandwidth key...Enable this & change where it says Bandwidth limit % from 20 to 0...XP seems to want to reserve 20% of the bandwidth for itself...so if you try & download a big file then it'll download faster a lot faster now & make your computer gernerally faster...

my system won't shutdown because i haven't got ACPI installed (im assuming because i didn't install it at setup) which (only a theory, nothing can prove it unless i do a few reinstalls) that when ACPI isn't installed you don't have the APM tab in Power Options in control panel...so if you have APM tab in Power Options found in control panel, try enabling that and give it a go...

tell me how all of these go :) :thumb:
    btw, keep on checkin this thread for more tweaks...

Edited 15th of April, added power off fix...
    At the request of wiggo ;)

thanks for that.. I was waiting for the forums to open up again so I could find that out.. :thumb:

Comment

no probs :)

Comment

WOW It worked!!!!!

Comment

hehe, :) :)

Comment

that tweak really helps GRIM
            thanks a bunch

one should also run the tweak utility from microsoft...bootvis

Comment

yeah i've run that...not bad for a microsoft 'tweaking' util!

Comment

yeah, bootvis and tweakui.....RULES

Comment

read my first post again, ive added some more tweaks/error fixes...

Comment

The xp shutdown tweaks never did work for me, but since getting my 8KHA+ and reinstalling Xp i can shutdown fine.
                    The network tweaks were useful. Thanks Grim

Comment

nps...

another thing that can help shutdowns is going to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools --> Services & setting the nVIDIA Driver Helper Service to manual...

Comment

THANX FOR THIS GREAT TWEAK ! IT REALY WORKS

--+++CYBOSHAMAN+++--
                        :thumb:

Comment

hehe, indeed it does :D

Comment

you're just bathing in all this praise, ain't ya? :D

Comment

ROFL, indeed i am!! :D :D

Comment

Working...
                              X