Windows XP Prof - Mirroring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows XP Prof - Mirroring

I have windows xp prof installed on my computer at home. 2 x 30gb hard drive and was hoping to use Raid 1 like you can with windows nt. I could not work out how to do this, is the reason beacuse i am using fat32 instead of ntfs.

Regards
    Tony Harris

Did u go into computer managment - disk management?

I'm not sure about the fat32 but if u want to convert it

got to start run cmd
    convert /? - will tell u the syntax to use

something like convert c: FS:NTFS
    http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

I did that and under Disk Managment you can fdisk, format etc. It would not allow me to select more than 1 drive unlike NT. I think that it is because of Fat32. I will conver this week-end.
      Thanks

Comment

no it is not because of Fat32, you can mirror a fat the problem is the two different windows. Windows NT had a different way of doing this (meaning you had to click select both drives). XP does not, while you in the managment screen you need to make sure both partitions you want to mirror are showing as free space then right click on one and choose to make a partition. In this screen is where you can choose what the volume is. The ones available are simple volume, mirrored, striped and spanned. After you choose the one you want it will let you choose the drive or volumes to use in the array. Hope this helps.

Comment

If the drives have to be showing free space, surely that means they have to be blank.

Regards

Comment

yes they have to be blank

Comment

So if the drives are blank, how can you mirror the main partition of XP or NT. Where would the system files be located. With NT, I can mirror any drive or partition I like including the main boot partition.

Regards

Comment

I'm not totally sure how XP works on this, but here goes my thought...

When you use software mirroring in XP, you select your free space, you choose what you want to do with it (in this case, mirror), and then you pick the partition you want to mirror. If there is enough free space, it will do it. So yeah, you need free space / a blank drive. You can't mirror onto an existing partition.

Like I said, I could be wrong. I'll check it later and let you know..

Comment

You can't mirror the main system drive unless you are using a hardware raid card. You have to have them mirrored before you install

Comment

Working...
                  X