JPG Compression ratios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JPG Compression ratios

Seeing that the order thread proved your figures wrong are you going to fix it at all?
    Or are you going to use the typical; Tweaktown makes mistakes like everyone else just we don't correct them.

Why don't you have a wonderful attitude - You won't even reveal your true identify by registering, but nevertheless I have a fair idea who you are - And if I am right, I do wonder sometimes about people who hold grudges.

In answering your question, I actually had a bit of a look at PSP and it appears to be it does use ratios, not percentages. Like I said in the other thread, I didn't perform any calculations myself, but went on what PSP reported. It's getting late now, but in the morning I'll study it more and if your theory is indeed correct, I will update the article.

Now if you're quite finished, I think your opinion has been well and truly made.
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

So lets see, other than "not" saying you will be correcting the errors which have shown in the guide (Severe error at that) you know assume its a grudge.

I think its your attitude which needs to be checked.

Lets review shall we? I point out some errors in the guide, including the extremely serious & misleading compression ratio. You sit here, close threads & say "I'm only human", though rather than learning from your mistakes like most humans you just leave it as is then go ahead & make more of them.

As regards your looking at PSP its uses %age ratios. The slider on the bottom shows this also, at 25 the blue bar is 1/4 way to the right. At 50 it would be 1/2, etc. It's percentage, its obvious. Email the developers if you want to, they'll agree with me. The calculations further back it up.

It's no "theory".

Comment

As I said, I'll look into in the morning.
        Managing Director
        Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

&

Comment

Ummm... i'd like to jump in here if I may..

Now, I can't really say I knew that much about jpeg files.. Sure, I could rip apart a PC and put it together with my eyes closed, but just cos I've got a fair knowledge of the insides of a PC, doesn't mean I know exactly how jpegs work.

Perhaps it wasn't the best idea to put this kind of article on Slashdot.. It's true that /. is for the more advanced users / techs around the world. But I noticed that you were nice enough to give us a link to the ./ post where the article is mentioned.. Aside from all the sarcastic comments that a lot of people made, there are actually a few in there that seem genuine.

I don't see why you are putting Tweak down so much.. He's just been trying to help people from entering a situation which he has recently faced. I'll be the first to admit it's not the most in depth article i've seen him write, but it still brings the attention to the amount of traffic that can be saved by using varying amounts of compression on pictures. So he got a few little bits of terminology wrong.. At least he's out there trying to help people.

Now it's all well and good to sit there as an Unregistered user and post what you will. It shows us how weak your character really is. I could understand it if you came in here as a registered user and said these things. Maybe then we'd give you the time of day and be reasonable about this.

But no.. you've decided to basically launch on the offensive straight away and basically be a pain to everyone around here. Notice how other people are posting helpful and useful messages, yet you come in here and just flame away? OK, so maybe your first post was trying, in some kind of way, to be helpful... but really, repeatedly coming in and abusing Tweak for what he's done isn't really the way to do it..... Very little character indeed...

Now, i'm sure you'll come straight back at this post with some very nice retort, but I honestly couldn't care less. Instead of arguing with people, why don't you just keep your comments to yourself... they aren't helping anyone around here. If you wanna take this up with me personally, feel free. my email address is [email protected].. I look forward to hearing what you could possibly come up with to offend me further...

Comment

well said beefy :thumb:
              TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

Originally posted by Beefy
                Now it's all well and good to sit there as an Unregistered user and post what you will. It shows us how weak your character really is. I could understand it if you came in here as a registered user and said these things. Maybe then we'd give you the time of day and be reasonable about this.
                I don't feel the need to register. I'm only here to see the errors get sorted. I have zero wish to stick around beyond that.

As for "my character", you're right. I should rephrase. Well done Tweak!! Other than the fact you at no point cover that its JPEG & the ratios you use & thus conclusions you come to are WRONG, that & JPEGs have been around for years its fine.
                Should I keep up this level of sarcasm?

Why don't you stop trying to defend Wilmot. He is wrong, I've proven it to be wrong. I don't care what you think of my tone in the matter. Perhaps you should be more reasonable & just accept its wrong & edit it.

Comment

Well, I guess this kinda says it all. 2 days later & still the errors are up there.
                  Kinda makes you wonder what else TTown doesn't bother fixing, even when the errors are pointed out publically, which is usually the best way to get people to fix things (As with Microsoft for example, heh).

In summary why don't you try better inform your readers by actually correcting mistakes rather than leaving them up. Perhaps this is why you "left" VIA. They probably don't keep on those who contually make mistakes but don't learn how to stop making them.

Comment

I suppose you expect me to get really angry and write something really defensive here? You're games don't work Thomas, go work on 3DSpotlight.
                    Managing Director
                    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                      Perhaps this is why you "left" VIA.
                      I resigned from my position from VIA, if you want to confirm this you can email [email protected], [email protected] or [email protected].
                      Managing Director
                      Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered

I don't feel the need to register. I'm only here to see the errors get sorted. I have zero wish to stick around beyond that.

As for "my character", you're right. I should rephrase. Well done Tweak!! Other than the fact you at no point cover that its JPEG & the ratios you use & thus conclusions you come to are WRONG, that & JPEGs have been around for years its fine.
                        Should I keep up this level of sarcasm?

Why don't you stop trying to defend Wilmot. He is wrong, I've proven it to be wrong. I don't care what you think of my tone in the matter. Perhaps you should be more reasonable & just accept its wrong & edit it.
                        Well, fair enough that you don't want to register. I wouldn't want anyone knowing who I was if I was writing the stuff you'd been writing.

I fail to see why you keep trying to grind Tweak's nose in it. You're right, he did make some errors in the article. He even admitted in the other thread he made the mistakes. So he HAS accepted that he was wrong. Notice how nobody else is flogging this like a dead horse but you? Most people have the decency to let it slide. As far as I know, Tweak is actually looking to improve the article as we speak, adding extra items to make it more applicable to everyone.

Well, I guess this kinda says it all. 2 days later & still the errors are up there.
                        Kinda makes you wonder what else TTown doesn't bother fixing, even when the errors are pointed out publically, which is usually the best way to get people to fix things (As with Microsoft for example, heh).

In summary why don't you try better inform your readers by actually correcting mistakes rather than leaving them up. Perhaps this is why you "left" VIA. They probably don't keep on those who contually make mistakes but don't learn how to stop making them.

Well, how nice of you to give us a running tally of how long the page has been up. It's good to see you've got nothing better to do with your time. So nice of you to actually help us. Like I said earlier, this is actually being worked on.

Oh, and as for that VIA comment, perhaps you should actually get YOUR facts straight. You are definitely wrong there. I was corresponding to John Gatt at VIA not long after Tweak left, and they were honestly disappointed that HE chose to leave...

I also like the fact that since Tweak made one mistake, you suddenly seem to think he 'contually' makes mistakes. This shows that you honestly couldn't care less about the article, you are just there to make snide comments.

Anyways, just to add further insult to injury.. You are wrong. Plain and simple. I noticed in your other post that you mentioned about the difference in the JPEG quality, how one was 61.3k, and the other was 16.7k. Very good, you managed to get the figures right.. Then you went on to say how your math skills showed that this was infact 3.7:1 instead of 25:1, which was stated by Tweak.

Now, if you did have a clue about JPEG compression, you'd know that the compression ratio in fact doesn't not always directly correlate to the size of the file. If you have a picture with a lot of the same color in it, then the file size is going to be much smaller, compared to one with lots of various colours. So, if I made a big, black picture and saved it as a JPEG, it would be basically the same size, no matter which compression I used. The Compression Ratio is basically just a quality scale from 1 to 100. It's not really a ratio as such.

So... next time.. If you feel that you MUST slam people's faces into the ground with your 'fact' and 'proof'.. make sure you get it right.

Comment

Seriously...go and run your lousy site at www.3dspotlight.com and stop playing out your crap here. YOUVE MADE YOUR POINT NOW GET THE HELL LOST ALREADY. Its people like u that give the Net a bad name.

Get on with your pathetic attempt at a site and leave TweakTown alone, right. What would you do if someone came to your site and started posting crap on your content all over your forums and he didn't have the balls to register?

I would perosnally smack the crap outta him, but you're in Ireland so that isn't possible. Get a Fu@@en life, seriously. If you can't say something nice then shut yer farken mouth. Right.

Comment

Who?

Comment

looks like our mystery guest is a little scared.. We didn't get a big long rant this time. Must realise how wrong he is..

Comment

Working...
                              X