Webhosting help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Webhosting help

I want to create a website for our local racing club. Somebody suggested Bravenet. Does anyone else have any suggestions? Thanks

Re: Webhosting help

I'll have to leave this one to someone who knows about web hosting services.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

It looked okay, but I couldn't find out anything concerning overage charges. They said they turn the "free" page off after you exceed the daily bandwidth, but it said nothing on how they address it with a "premium" site.

Comment

If you're planning on using a paid service, shoot a message off to their support email address. Not only should this give you the info you need, it will also tell you how fast they are willing to respond to email requests for help. If they vlow you off, you probably didn't want to do business with them anyway.
        Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
        My Toys

Comment

All I could find was a place to fill out an "Information request ticket" that was for people who already had sites with them. I look again, thanks.

Comment

this one is for free www.50free.com , u get 100 mb free space and u get php and mysql
            its really fast and u dont get ads and stuff on your site..

Comment

www.godaddy.com

Comment

I use powweb.com for web hosting, and there is one day left on their sale.

2,000 mbs of space with ALL the goodies
                150 gigs of bandwidth
                free domain name
                $7.77 a month, but you get 6 months free with a year, or 14 months free with 2 years.

2 years = $185 / 38 months = $4.90 a month for 150 gigs of bandwidth.

That's insane. Even if you miss the sale (which ends Dec 31st) then it will probably revert back to 2 months free on the 1 year plan, which gives you 14 months for $93.

Comment

spare parts + Linux with Apache + boadband + free DNS service + domain name from godaddys = very cheap, effective, and reliable hosting

hell of a lot cheaper than paid hosing, and you have all the power

Comment

At the cost of your own bandwidth, and the cost of building a PC.

Cheap PC = $300 a month.
                    Broadband internet = $40/50 a month.
                    Domain name = $15

powweb.com = $5 a month (with sale) or $7.77 a month without sale.

Comment

wtf? can you twist what I said just a little bit more please?

I am not suggesting anyone buy a broadband connection for the sole reason of hosting their own site. If you already have the connection, you might as well try to get your money's worth. Besides, if you're paying $40-50 for a home connection, you're getting screwed anyway.

Where did I say anything about paying for a computer? I said "spare parts". Most enthusiasts have enough parts laying around to build a mid to low-end box. It doesn't take much power to run a decent web server. If you don't have all the parts you need, you damn well know how to get them dirt cheap. $300 (or as you put it, "300 per month") is bull ****.

Now, the only part of my solution that cost any additional money was the domain name, which cost less than $10 per year.

How does $10 per year compare to your 60-90+ per year?

Comment

No kidding... Once I buy the domain, I'll have a web site using almost the exact method you described (though I'll likely use dyndns as my router has a built-in function for it). That'll cost me all of $5 and the 450MHz Pentium 3 with 12GB HDD and 368MB of RAM sitting next to my main machine. Even if I had to pay for the machine, it would cost less than hosting.

That said, I won't be able to host anything besides HTML and maybe a few pictures, due to the poor upload speed of comcast cable.

Comment

Well, you said that most people have enough parts laying around to build a spare system.

Logically, I think that arguement is highly flawed. If people have spare parts laying around, it's because they upgrade parts and/or build systems from scratch. Those that build systems from scratch usually don't simply leave enough spare parts around to build a full system, especially if they have need for another system.

Building a cheap system will run $300, or more. Using a full seperate computer for web-hosting also means using a router or switch, and exposing your home network more so to hacker threats.

It also means using up bandwidth.

$93 gets you 150 gigs of bandwidth a month. Most ISPs will kick you off their service or try to force you to pay for a level of business/professional hosting if you're using 150 gigs of bandwidth in a month.

That's 58k per second, for every second of the month.

$5 a month for a professional web host. 58k of your bandwidth, and a dedicated PC, and electricty from running a new PC in your house 24/7. That's EASILY over $5 a month.

You'd be hard pressed to really argue that it's financially better to host a web server yourself rather than pay for a nice web host.

Let's say a decent page hit is 20k, or even 40k. That's, 3,750,000 hits in a month of bandwidth for $5.

Tell me that's not a deal.

Comment

a few folks i know have had good luck with 1&1 http://1and1.com

Comment

They are certainly an affordable host given their price list. I don't know what speeds, or customer service they offer.

But their webpage suggests they offer a pretty darn good offer.

Still, they charge $19.99 a month for 100 gigs of bandwidth.

Powweb.com is charging $4.90 a month (with given promotion) for 150 gigs of bandwidth.

Their base price at powweb.com is $7.77 a month for 150 gigs of bandwidth.

I can personally vouch for their speed, service and features. I have two accounts with them.

I've used a few hosts, and Powweb is the best I've ever seen. If anyone can point out a better host, I'll gladly switch to them.

Comment

Working...
                              X