WinME Windows Protection Error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WinME Windows Protection Error

Installed new WinME with NIC and it was all working fine. After installing a modem, I'm getting the error. Removing the modem and even the NIC don't clear up the problem. Using msconfig, I've isolated it down to the NDIS.vxd file and if I disable that file, it boots fine, but none of my networking will work (I reinstalled the NIC). Windows Support doesn't yield any usable suggestions. Any here?

Originally posted by jgordon
    Installed new WinME with NIC and it was all working fine. After installing a modem, I'm getting the error. Removing the modem and even the NIC don't clear up the problem. Using msconfig, I've isolated it down to the NDIS.vxd file and if I disable that file, it boots fine, but none of my networking will work (I reinstalled the NIC). Windows Support doesn't yield any usable suggestions. Any here?
    Try totally removing Windows Networking through Add/Remove Windows Components, then do a clean boot without it... Then re-install if it boots fine.

Comment

Worked fine, but when I reinstalled the NIC (Intel Pro100) the problem returned. Are there any tweaks that can be used to get around this issue?

Comment

Are you using the latest drivers from Intels website?
        if not, go grab em and try again.

Comment

Also check to make sure that the Intel isn't sharing an IRQ with the USB controller as this maybe a prob as well as the 2 don't generally like each other in many cases. :smokin:

Comment

No luck. Reinstalled Intel NIC with latest drivers: same problem; Uninstalled, boots fine; Purchased and installed a new DLink NIC: same problem.

This is frustrating. Do I need to reinstall the O/S?

Comment

No luck. Reinstalled Intel NIC with latest drivers: same problem; Uninstalled, boots fine; Purchased and installed a new DLink NIC: same problem.

This is frustrating. Do I need to reinstall the O/S?
              Has this card ever worked or is it new? I think you may have a conflict here... Something you have is not liking this Intel NIC. Try re-installing Windows and don't install any drivers except the NIC and see if it works.

Comment

Personally, I'd do a reinstall. Of a different O/S. But that's just my big dislike for ME. I had nothing but trouble with that OS.

Comment

Originally posted by Beefy
                  Personally, I'd do a reinstall. Of a different O/S. But that's just my big dislike for ME. I had nothing but trouble with that OS.
                  ...that doesn't seem to be an option for him so he'll have to make due with a 500 megabyte virus we all lovingly call, "Windows ME"

Comment

Well said..

Comment

Originally posted by Beefy
                      Well said..
                      Thank you. :D

Comment

Thanks for your help ... am installing Win98 now and giving up on ME

Comment

Thanks for your help ... am installing Win98 now and giving up on ME
                          Well, 98 is just as bad but better than ME. I think you should invest in either Windows 2000 or WinXP.

Comment

I'd love to, but I'm upgrading a friends P-II, 233 w/128m RAM that will be used at home for games (so Win2k is out). Haven't tested out XP on a system that ancient ...

Comment

Some ppl forget that the newer M$ software also takes more power to run fluidly and thus make assumptions on an unknown basis and also maybe out of the price range of others. Remember that there are certain horses for certain courses.
                              jgordon goin' to 98 would be a good choice for that setup and IMHO Windows ME was a vast step backwards over 98/98SE and XP would bog that setup so badly it would be hard to get any sort of reasonable performance out of it. :smokin:

Comment

Working...
                              X